Murfreesboro

BDURHAM

Johnson is the first Rutherford County commitment to an SEC school since La Vergne’s Donnie Lowe committed and signed with Alabama in 2000.

I find this statement to be surprising. What is the reason for this?

1) Are Murfreesboro/Rutherford County athletes not being recruited by SEC schools?

2) Why would Auburn sign a bunch of kids from Nashville/Brentwood and not from Murfreesboro?

3) Why is Riverdale not sending more athletes to the SEC?

4) Is Rutherford County/Murfreesboro football over-rated?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Oakland

its not that these athletes arent being recruited and murfreesboro football isnt overrated either, murfreesboro just doesnt produce a lot of college d-1 prospects in football. no offense to riverdale and this gonna sound funny, but riverdale has been down the last few years as far as the levwel of talent goes, rankin has really worked his magic the least few years, but dont worry riverdale has a few players that are d-1 caliber, but only time will tell

I think there can be a distinct difference between "D-1" or "SEC" prospect and a really good high school football player. I've seen big linemen recruited not for how good they are but how big they are. John Batey at Riverdale was as fine a high school player as anyone could want. Only problem, being 5-10 and 195 lbs and not being able to run a 4.5 really hampers your chances at the "big time". Case in point - Last year's lincoln Co. team had the two good tackles. Divens was the bigger and passed the "look test" a lot more than Horrocks did. But you snap the ball and Horrocks was a freakin' animal. Who got Mr. Football and all the clippings? Divens.

I have a bunch of friends playing college football right now. Kenyon Buford from Riverdale (2002) had originally commited to Ohio State but then changed his mind and came to MTSU. Ralph King is also at MTSU. I have talked to some of these players that got recruited by SEC and big D-1 Schools and most of them have said that they want to stay close to home.

Guest region4fan

Wanted to stay close to home.........................that's a good one.

It has been common knowledge round these parts that many of the athletes from Riverdale lack the grades and ACT scores to play. Maybe a little more focus is needed on academics and keeping the players in class?

Region4 fan isn't/wasn't a top college prospect, I'm guessing, and isn't the subject of the post. I don't think it's wrong to point out any grade problems of players especially those out of high school, except if it's just rumor and not a known fact. I don't see how any player that knows he can get his education paid for at some level, at least partly paid, can loaf in class and fail to qualify. Coaches have some blame but the player has to study and do the work. BTW, MTSU and SEC schools are 1-A, Tennessee Tech, UTC, etc are 1-AA. Differences are about 20-25 scholarships and a ton of money for facilities, coaches salaries, etc.

yeah i agree with region4fan that the riverdale players dont have the grades.. most of them dont.. like Ralph King had to go to Junior College before he could get is ACT score high enough to play at MTSU.. i just think these players should hit the books more and stop worrying so much about getting a D1 scholarship.. i believe that Dave Thomas has the playing ability to sign a D1 scholarship but i dont believe his ACT scores will be even close to where they need to be..

look out for Gaston Miller.. hes making honor roll at Riverdale and is an awsome back.. look for him to turn heads this year

Guest region4fan

Lordfrost, my GPA in high school was a 4.0. I was the Valadictorian of a class of 323 . I went to college on a full Academic ride, even made some money from extra scholarships after my tuition was met. But, I didn't play college ball. I wasn't tall enough according to lineman standards at the time, and truthfully not good enough. But I lettered in two sports , and worked a job too. My coach made us show up at 6:30 every AM for study hall whether we needed it or not. If you didn't need it, you had to tutor someone who did.He demanded performance in the classroom and on the field. As a result.Every player my senior year graduated in the top half of our senior class.

Now that that question has been answered................. Sadly Ralph King is not the only RHS player not able to get the ACT high enough to play. And there have been several who didn't have the grades to play a spring semester sport . Sorry . but it is the coach's place to make sure that kids know how important the grades are . Yes, parents and kids have to do their part, but so do the coaches!! I have talked to some college coaches who said they would rather have a kid from BA any day over a kid from Riverdale b/c of the academic work ethic demanded of them.