Possible Classification changes!

Francis

After carefull analysis and number crunching here are some of the more intresting possiblities for class changes. This observation is made after removing current DII schools and making the likely assumption that a few more privates will go DII after the instituion of the 1.8 multiplier. This also does not take into account teams playing up by choice.

1A- Seems likely that Mt. Pleasant, Trousdale, and McKenzie will play small ball.

2A- Smith County, and York Institute looks as if they will return to AA.

3A- Fairview and Cheatham County are possibly moving up. Chester

County and Station Camp as well as White House are a definite 3A

schools for the next 4 years. Also Dyersburg and Haywood County will move

down to 3A. Memphis East could possibly slide down to 3A as well.

4A- Portland looks reasonably fixed as a 4A team, along with Springfield and

Jackson Northside (although Northside could, maybe, slide to 3A). Page will be

a solid 4A team as will Henry County coming down from 5A. Mt. Juliet will be

4A and Munford as well. Here's a biggie, Brentwood, Glencliff, and Oakland all

have an outside shot of slipping to 4A!

5A- Nothing significant due to overall numbers seeming to be down a little this

year. Antioch is now the biggest school in the state at 2461...WOW!

Edited by Francis

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After carefull analysis and number crunching here are some of the more intresting possiblities for class changes. This observation is made after removing current DII schools and making the likely assumption that a few more privates will go DII after the instituion of the 1.8 multiplier. This also does not take into account teams playing up by choice.

1A- Seems likely that Mt. Pleasant, Trousdale, and McKenzie will play small ball.

2A- Smith County, and York Institute looks as if they will return to AA.

3A- Fairview and Cheatham County are possibly moving up. Chester

County and Station Camp as well as White House are a definite 3A

schools for the next 4 years. Also Dyersburg and Haywood County will move

down to 3A. Memphis East could possibly slide down to 3A as well.

4A- Portland looks reasonably fixed as a 4A team, along with Springfield and

Jackson Northside (although Northside could, maybe, slide to 3A). Page will be

a solid 4A team as will Henry County coming down from 5A. Mt. Juliet will be

4A and Munford as well. Here's a biggie, Brentwood, Glencliff, and Oakland all

have an outside shot of slipping to 4A!

5A- Nothing significant due to overall numbers seeming to be down a little this

year. Antioch is now the biggest school in the state at 2461...WOW!

What numbers are you crunching for this analysis?

Guest region4fan

Look I told you folk last year that Siegel really hurt Oakland's enrollment. It was Siegel's first year last year and their enrollment was LARGER than ours. We had barely 1400 last year, and now less than that. They kept chopping at those zone lines to make sure that just about all of the wealthy subdivisions were all in Siegel's zone, and NO exemptions granted. That is called getting pockets padded.

Will TSSAA use the same numbers for breaking down the classifications in 1A-5A?

I know that Page's numbers will not be the same due to the new school, Independence opening up this fall. Page is expected to be below 875 students come this fall. Independence will eventually be at the 1200 or more mark within two to three years. All this reclassification comes at a bad time for Williamson County schools. There is so much growth happening within this county that it makes it difficult for schools to know exactly how many students they will have in the fall. There were reports in local newspapers about the growth of Spring Hill (Williamson County) there is an estimated of 1200 people a month moving into the area. Good grief! It sounds like, to this fan of Williamson County schools, they may need to build another school by the time this one opens.

Again, what is the break off points for the classifications?

B)

Again, what is the break off points for the classifications?

B)

As best I can tell from the current classifications, they simply take the total number of high schools and divide that by 5. The last allignment change in 2000 had each classification with either 56 or 57 schools. Now, how they decided which ones had 56 and which ones had 57, I have no idea and was wondering myself.

Well, I just went and looked at the 2005 enrollment numbers TSSAA is going to use. If you take out the non-football playing schools and the same 21 schools in D-II right now, then you are left with 297 schools. That would have 3 classifications with 59 and two with 60.

If everybody decides to stay exactly how that classification lays out (i.e. noone decides to move up like Trousdale County did last time), then Maryville will either be the biggest 4A school or the smallest 5A school.....depending on whether or not they put 60 or 59 schools in 5A.

Either way, that would leave Glencliff, Oakland, and Brentwood all in 5A as the three smallest.

Other notes I saw is that Pearl-Cohn is a definite 3A. Goodpasture is right on the 3A/2A line (looking like 3A) and Pope John Paul is a definite 3A. Lipscomb fell below the 4A line, so nobody can complain that they should be 4A with the multiplier. Fulton and Anderson Co. are on the 3A/4A line.

Another item of note, even with the multiplier applied, there are still 13 private schools in 1A, 8 are in 2A, and 3 in 3A.

Should be interesting to see if any of the privates do make the jump to D-II and how many schools choose to move up in classification like Trousdale County did in the past. Those two factors would only affect the teams near the cutoff lines (my unscientific guess is anyone within 3 or 4 slots of the cutoff line in either direction).

Also, should be interesting to see how the new regions lay out for football. No matter how they do it, I know that Greenbrier is going to have to travel a heck of a lot less than they did in the past. A lot of close schools who are definite 3A....to include WHITE HOUSE!!! B)

South Doyle choses to play in 5A when they are smaller than schools like Maryville and I believe Central. I would like to see Maryville do that. I believe Maryville can and should play up, if they don't already have to.

I have a question....if a school choses to play up a classification, so they count towards that 60 teams?