Possible Classification changes!

Francis

South Doyle choses to play in 5A when they are smaller than schools like Maryville and I believe Central. I would like to see Maryville do that. I believe Maryville can and should play up, if they don't already have to.

I have a question....if a school choses to play up a classification, so they count towards that 60 teams?

South-Doyle didn't have a choice. They were 4 or 5 students above the cutoff number the last time reclassification took place.

I'ver heard that Maryville will be moving up. I'm sure some of the Maryville folks here have more up to date info than I.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are alot of schools who have played 3A the last 4 years and now will be forced to play 4A Examples are Fulton, Anderson Co. It looks like Maryville will be right on the line on whether they will be playing 4A or 5A. I hope Maryville moves up because I truly feel that most teams in 5A can compete with Maryville not to say some of the top notch 4A programs can not but week in and week out Maryville will have to be ready to play in 5A. I was just wondering what are some of the rumors going around that Region 2 in 4A may no longer exist after this year. I have heard that Morristown East, West, Cocke Co., and Greeneville will have to play in the Knoxville 4A region and Cherokee, Volunteer and David Crockett will play in the Johnson City region. Is there any truth to this rumor

I have a question....if a school choses to play up a classification, so they count towards that 60 teams?

Another Million Dollar Question! I don't know. However, based on what the TSSAA website says, they will make the classifications and then schools will decide if they want to move up. So, I think the 59 or 60 will NOT be affected by schools deciding to move up.....only regions will.

As for Fulton and Anderson Co., they are at the top of the 3A group in the scenario I gave above....they wouldn't be 4A. However, as I said, all it takes is a couple of privates to decide to go to D-II and they might slip up. So, they are a couple of the schools who are hanging in the balance.

And, as for the question of regions going away and reformed, etc......the answer is YES. If you have schools in your region move up or down in classification, then there is going to be regrouping of the regions. And, it is not just your region you have to look at. With as many schools across the state who will be moving up or down, there will have to be a pretty good shake up of the regions everyone has gotten used to.....except maybe the 5A schools. There is probably the least impact there.

But, exactly what they are going to be, noone will know until schools declare if they are going to move up in classification. They have until Sep 1 to make that declaration.

South-Doyle didn't have a choice. They were 4 or 5 students above the cutoff number the last time reclassification took place.

SD was 5A by 1 Student their enrollment was 1348, Morristown-East, and Northeast stayed in 4A and their enrollment was 1347. Talk about your poor luck.

We've dropped to 908 at Carter, back where we were last time we were 3A. B)

Here are the breakdown of numbers for each classification for football according to the TSSAA website. I'm wondering if the TSSAA will consider adding more to the number system as the state's population grows and more schools are added, won't this cause more headaches in the future if they do not make a new number system for each classification? If you take a look at Williamson County alone, there are tons of H.S. both public and private. The school board has said in the past that they do not want a school to get over 1600 students in population. If it does they will consider building a new school. The county is closing in on reaching those numbers and that could put teams like Ravenwood, Centennial, Brentwood, Franklin and Independence all in the same region. With only five teams in a region Williamson County could have their own 5A region. Talk about cutting down on transportation and cost. Plus, the gates would be good too. Hey, looks like Williamson County created its own Z-plan.

As for the breakdown in numbers for classifications:

Schools in Division I playing football have been divided into five classes based on the total number of schools playing football; therefore, schools are classified as follows:

5A - Schools with an enrollment of 1,348 and above

4A - Schools with an enrollment of 961 to 1,347

3A - Schools with an enrollment of 675-957

2A - Schools with an enrollment of 364-673

1A - Schools with an enrollment of 361 and under

In Division II, there will be three classes in football, as follows:

Division II 3A - 600 and above

Division II 2A - 300-599

Division II 1A - 299 and below

Yeah, it'll be those five schools and who knows who else in a region. The gates will be GREAT. I believe it looked like Columbia Central will be moving up to 5A so that's one possible team (unless I read their enrollment wrong). I'd love to see Dickson County remain in the region, as well. That'd be 7 teams... maybe one more? A metro school maybe? Hmmm, I'm glad the TSSAA makes these decisions, not me!

Here are the breakdown of numbers for each classification for football according to the TSSAA website. I'm wondering if the TSSAA will consider adding more to the number system as the state's population grows and more schools are added, won't this cause more headaches in the future if they do not make a new number system for each classification? If you take a look at Williamson County alone, there are tons of H.S. both public and private. The school board has said in the past that they do not want a school to get over 1600 students in population. If it does they will consider building a new school. The county is closing in on reaching those numbers and that could put teams like Ravenwood, Centennial, Brentwood, Franklin and Independence all in the same region. With only five teams in a region Williamson County could have their own 5A region. Talk about cutting down on transportation and cost. Plus, the gates would be good too. Hey, looks like Williamson County created its own Z-plan.

As for the breakdown in numbers for classifications:

Schools in Division I playing football have been divided into five classes based on the total number of schools playing football; therefore, schools are classified as follows:

5A - Schools with an enrollment of 1,348 and above

4A - Schools with an enrollment of 961 to 1,347

3A - Schools with an enrollment of 675-957

2A - Schools with an enrollment of 364-673

1A - Schools with an enrollment of 361 and under

In Division II, there will be three classes in football, as follows:

Division II 3A - 600 and above

Division II 2A - 300-599

Division II 1A - 299 and below

Those are last classifications numbers and mean nothing this time. The TSSAA simply list every one in D1 smallest to largest, divides by 5, and then move those up in class that wishes too. Actually the class division numbers are smaller this period than last, probably due to a slowing economy (less people), and to counties adding more schools and reducing the numbers in each school.

Another Million Dollar Question! I don't know. However, based on what the TSSAA website says, they will make the classifications and then schools will decide if they want to move up. So, I think the 59 or 60 will NOT be affected by schools deciding to move up.....only regions will.

As for Fulton and Anderson Co., they are at the top of the 3A group in the scenario I gave above....they wouldn't be 4A. However, as I said, all it takes is a couple of privates to decide to go to D-II and they might slip up. So, they are a couple of the schools who are hanging in the balance.

And, as for the question of regions going away and reformed, etc......the answer is YES. If you have schools in your region move up or down in classification, then there is going to be regrouping of the regions. And, it is not just your region you have to look at. With as many schools across the state who will be moving up or down, there will have to be a pretty good shake up of the regions everyone has gotten used to.....except maybe the 5A schools. There is probably the least impact there.

But, exactly what they are going to be, noone will know until schools declare if they are going to move up in classification. They have until Sep 1 to make that declaration.

If you do the numbers it actually takes 5 privates going DII before it effects the overall picture of DI by 1 position. (You take out five from the total and then divide the remaining number by 5)

However, if you are a 1A, 2A, or 3A school, and the multiplier causes a private to leapfrog over into the next class then the dividing line between those classes slides down one school. (The smallest school in the higher class would then become the largest school in the smaller class)

If my math is correct, the most possible movement there could be would be 5 places in between classes. The most likely senario would be however 2 places as not every private will bolt to DII nor will they all move to a larger class.

South-Doyle didn't have a choice.  They were 4 or 5 students above the cutoff number the last time reclassification took place.

SD was 5A by 1 Student their enrollment was 1348, Morristown-East, and Northeast stayed in 4A and their enrollment was 1347. Talk about your poor luck.

We've dropped to 908 at Carter, back where we were last time we were 3A. B)

Thanks. I knew they were right on the bubble. The question is where they better off moving to 5A where they ended up or staying in region 3-4A. From a competition standpoint, i'm not so sure they didn't come out better. 3-4A has been pretty darned tough over the last 5 years. There aren't too many gimmes on the schedule.

Edited by HTV

Francis and NWhoopaholic,

I knew my numbers weren't perfect because I don't know the D-II privates situation very well. I just went by the 21 that I knew played D-II last year. And, I forgot the PJP played in D-II. Thanks for the corrections. Should be interesting in the end!

B) I too did some of the number crunching and looking at where some of my favorite teams from Sumner County would fall. It seems that Hendersonville will now be the largest school in the county followed by Gallatin. They both will be 5A. Beech and Portland will be 4A, White House and Station Camp 3A, and Westmoreland 2A. (Not to be a negative voice here, but I do not count PJ2 because they are a private!)

Anyway, looking at some interesting possiblities for new 4A regions. There are, if my count is right, about 20 midstate 4A schools. Would the T$$AA (I like that, and I hope whoever the genius was who came up with it will not mind my borrowing it!), anyway, make 2 ten team regions or do the right thing and make 2 7's and 1 6? Or 2 6's and 1 8? For example: Beech, Portland, Springfield, Kenwood, Clarksville, Clarksville NW, Rosseview. Henry County. That is a pretty good region as all the counties border straight across the top of the state.

Next region, Mt. Juliet, Hillsboro, Whites Creek, Stratford, Maplewood, Overton. Again, the two counties involved border each other, and it keeps the Metro schools together. Next region, Shelbyville, Ravewood, Independence, Lawrence County, White County. and Tullahoma. This last grouping is a little more spread out, however it is across the southern portion of the Mid State. If I left anyone out of my plan, please forgive me, it was not intentional. But all my planning is probably for naught. The "wise" guys out in Hermitage will probably have the wisdom to send Henry County to Shelbyville for a regional football game, or something just as screwy as that. Personally, I would like to see a break down similar to what I have above. I don't have anything against the Metro schools, they play good football. They just don't bring anyone to the game with them when they travel. No fans equals no gate. Sorry, just calling it like I have seen it for over 12 years. B)

Edited by sumnerfbfan