Budget Cuts will hurt football in Chattanooga

ELA

I want to say how much I admire ELA for his commitment to coaching football. If you have followed his posts over the past couple of years, it is extremely clear what his priorities are. It pains me to think of how budget cuts are affecting ELA and others in the coaching profession.

Not many men are willing to relocate to work in a particular field. The sacrifices coaches make are often taken for granted. ELA has committed himself to coaching. He is not chasing the buck. He has not soured on a profession that has caused him to move, what I think is at least three times in five years.

ELA is made of the right stuff. He is the type of man we need in coaching. I hope and pray that he finds a more permanent home soon. If there is any justice, he will become a head coach again and enjoy the full fruits of his labor.

I'm pulling for ELA all the way. I might not vote for Kerry, but I'd vote for ELA. ELA, keep pressing on! Every town needs a coach like you.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if he's staying in TN, might be tough to find enough Dems. to surround him. :D

(...and notice I didn't touch the word "good"!]

Hey Wes, we need to see if anyone is looking for a "forensic coach". Might be a clue.

Ah...clever thinking...with all the proverbial skeletons ELA pulls out of history's closet during political discussions, it only makes sense that he would teach students how to dig up dead bodies! ;)

I want to say how much I admire ELA for his commitment to coaching football. If you have followed his posts over the past couple of years, it is extremely clear what his priorities are. It pains me to think of how budget cuts are affecting ELA and others in the coaching profession.

Not many men are willing to relocate to work in a particular field. The sacrifices coaches make are often taken for granted. ELA has committed himself to coaching. He is not chasing the buck. He has not soured on a profession that has caused him to move, what I think is at least three times in five years.

ELA is made of the right stuff. He is the type of man we need in coaching. I hope and pray that he finds a more permanent home soon. If there is any justice, he will become a head coach again and enjoy the full fruits of his labor.

I'm pulling for ELA all the way. I might not vote for Kerry, but I'd vote for ELA. ELA, keep pressing on! Every town needs a coach like you.

Stan you're a good friend.

This may be a "little over the top" but I appreciate it anyway! :D

Wow, I missed this whole thread until just now.

ELA, I wish you every success in your new position and pray that it will be one that you enjoy and will be able to stay with for a while.

As for the CPA Kool Aid that robjim refers to, don't worry; it is nothing more than Sundrop which we only ever see on campus when a certain famous person who will remain nameless appears for a visit.

Wow, I missed this whole thread until just now.

ELA, I wish you every success in your new position and pray that it will be one that you enjoy and will be able to stay with for a while.

As for the CPA Kool Aid that robjim refers to, don't worry; it is nothing more than Sundrop which we only ever see on campus when a certain famous person who will remain nameless appears for a visit.

I'm off the low carb diet because my doctor switched me to "low fat" back when I had the heart attack scare. Now I'm hooked on diet coke but at least I can eat bread and rice again! B)

ELA,

Too bad you won't get to come to the Nest this year When East Ridge visited the Owls. Coach Neely and the ERHS principal, along with Mr. Foster, Mr. Jarvis at Ooltewah and every other middle and high school in the county are going to make some VERY DIFFICULT decisions. but this stinks for everyone involved. At least they are closing one of those money pit magnet schools.

Edited by thorough97

Here is a great article from Chattanoogan.com with a list of the amount of money that each school will get and what sport it will be used for!

LINK:High Schools, Middle Schools Facing 50% Supplement Cuts

Example listed: "Ooltewah $51,195 with $3,777 for band, $22,379 for football and $13,089 for basketball. $11,950 is left for other sports."

ELA,

Too bad you won't get to come to the Nest this year When East Ridge visited the Owls. Coach Neely and the ERHS principal, along with Mr. Foster, Mr. Jarvis at Ooltewah and every other middle and high school in the county are going to make some VERY DIFFICULT decisions. but this stinks for everyone involved. At least they are closing one of those money pit magnet schools.

East Ridge will only have three football coaches this fall. I guess all HC public schools will be in the same boat. I have already moved and will be off-line most of this weekend.

Here is a great article from Chattanoogan.com with a list of the amount of money that each school will get and what sport it will be used for!

LINK:High Schools, Middle Schools Facing 50% Supplement Cuts

Example listed: "Ooltewah $51,195 with $3,777 for band, $22,379 for football and $13,089 for basketball. $11,950 is left for other sports."

Thanks for the link. Does anyone know how it was determined how much money each school received?? I couldn't believe that RedBank had less than 20 thousand to spend on football while the rest of the schools had 20+. Are the amounts listed what each school gets for coaching supplements and equipment or will the equipment come from a different source??

My computer has been screwed up for a couple months now, but I have been dying to get on here and see if anyone had a thread about the budget cuts. I have read some but not all of the posts. I will be a senior at Ooltewah this year. I don't exactly understand every aspect of all this, but from what I understand with the cuts in sports the money doesn't have to be divied (spelling) out to all the sports teams equally and it is at the discretion of the individual schools to decide. So my understanding is that they could give it all to football and the rest of the sports be cut. Rumor is that Ooltewah is keeping only basketball, football, volleyball, and wrestling, but don't quote me on that because I don't know for a fact and it could very well change. At any rate, all this is a bunch of crap, and all they are doing is running our school system into the ground. I know of several people who's parents will send them to private schools if certain sports are cut, because they are going to be seniors and depending on scholarship money. It's a shame. Luckilly for me, they wouldn't let cheerleaders be part of the athletic department and we get no money from the school, so I don't have anything to worry about, but it still makes me angry. This is ridiculous!

These are precisely the kinds of things that have driven the private school "migration" over the last 10 or so years in Hamilton Co. The cat-and-mouse games being played are done without regard to students or their families. Most residents of Hamilton Co. viewed this as just another scare tactic to excuse a tax hike. The residents of Hamilton Co. will gladly bear that burden IF (IF, IF, IF) progress is made in the quality of education in the system. Graduation rate last posted? 56%. Totally unacceptable, yet the method of operation continues as it has for many years. That is why the tax hike was shot down. No progress, but plenty of digress.A definition of insanity: doing the same thing expecting different results.

A mass move to the private schools? The really bad news is that (in Boyd's case anyway) there are usually less than 5 openings available in each grade each year with NO positions available in many grades.

ELA, kudos to you for your hard work right down the road. While our theories may at times take different paths I have never doubted your love for teaching young people. Good luck with your new location.

I hate the thought of so many kids being jerked around by near-sighted "leaders."