Who is the best "Get rich quick" coach?

zorroschild

Here's a few:

Ricky Bowers-took an MBA team that went 5-5, missed the payoffs in 1993 to a 9-3 record in '94 and 2nd round of the playoffs and then turning the Big Red into a perenial power. I'm sure he will do big things at Ensworth.

Ron Adellote at Hillsboro. When he took over, they were absolutely terrible and now they are a 4A power.

Jack Daniels at Brentwood. They were also terrible and are now very strong.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three names come to mind in the mid-state area. Jimmy Maynord took a bad Upperman program and made the semi's in his second year. Dickie Brown at Sparta seems to have them going in the right direction in just 2 years, he also did a good job at Bledsoe in turning a bad program into a contender. Finally, Pat Dyer at Macon. What a great job in turning that program!

You would have to put Scott Smith on that list. He built a very poor Ezell Harding program into a 1A power for a few years. Now that he is gone so are the players. He attracted good football players to the school. I kinda feel sorry for Ezell now because all of the arrogant players & fans have graduated & have left a bad taste in everyones mouth. Now the so called new crop is on board they will have to pay. Maybe some of the teams they embarrased over the past couple of years will return the favor.

Coach Rewis of Hertiage has a reputation of turning perinnial losers into winners. He has done it in Georgia, at Fairview, and now will do the same thing at Heritage. He is a motivator that gets the most out of his kids and makes them believe in his system.

If Tommy Rewis is as good as I heard he was there may be another Blount County Powerhouse. Heritage has a ton of potential. That could spell trouble for the Govs,Tornadoes and Rebels.

I have to agree w/ two previous post Pemberton & Maynord are 2 super coaches to get things going in the right direction. they were on the Upperman staff when the Beees made their run.

As for Don Woods, this Juror here isn't sold. Coaching blunder he made that didn't cost MW a game stands out in my mind. Pee Wee coaches & arm chair QB's don't make this mistake. Down 7 to 5 against Cumberland Co. MW scores to bring score 11-7 with 6:00 some odd minutes left in game. He kicks P.A.T. score now 12-7. any coach in right mind goes for 2pts b/c a td beat you without having to convert P.A.T. fortunately the gaff doesn't cost the Trojans the Jets don't score. The trojans have had a good run under his direction, however they weren't lacking for talent in that school and have had success before his arrival. If he moves on the school will still have the talent base to compete for titles.

jetman

Morristown West never was real successful before Don Woods got there. Even the teams that had Little Man Stewart would get drilled when they played Central or Oak Ridge.

Don Woods has helped turn around the MOWest program. He also has a good staff. MOWest is one of the better programs in 4A now. MOWest used to be Elizabethons,Jeff County and Greeneville's whipping boy. Now MOWest beats those teams almost every year.

rebel ron

I graduated from MW when we played the Jeff co. & Greeneville of world where our dogs{b&^%#$}. Talent has always been there. MW invented ways to be snake bite before the expanded playoffs currently in use. I played on teams that never last to the Pats Or Devils. He has to win the ring before you can convince me. your telling me G. Quarles makes that simply mistake in regards to coaching the game.

I don't want to leave out Curt Jones at Chatt. Central. Took over at a school that hadn't had 2 winning seasons in probably 20 years. Had an 0-10 season in 2001. Took the team to a 5-6 mark in 2002 with a playoff appearance. Then went 8-4 in 2003 despite some critical injuries, won Central's 1st playoff win in forever before falling to Maryville in the 2nd round in an excellent game. I expect better this year.