Franklin Rebels

huskers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Franklin will have a strong team this year. They have THE best special teams duo in the state, as well as a good running back in Darrien Watters. I don't think their passing game will be nearly as good as last year, but Anderson is a quick QB and will scramble much of the time. Their front line is always pretty good, if Im correct. I guess the big question is defense, which we will see in the upcoming months! Oh, and I'm also interested by Hibbitt, since im across from his house pretty much everyday. B)

Well I think the team will be strong as long as Johnson is there, but sweet heaven, has anyone seen the field lately? It is BEAUTIFUL. I was there Friday working, and we drove around the back. It is like a lush carpet. Kudos to whoever keeps it up.

Thank you BoNeal....I'll take some but not all credit....We have made sure to airrate, topdress and put nitrogen on it, getting ready to poison it again... if I could get TJ and the county to quit worrying about the water bill and put more H2O on it later in the summer, it should really look great come September and October. Mother Nature has been wonderful in June and so far in July.

Lets talk Rebel Football.....

Last year some people were surprised by a bench warmer by the name of Matt Solima....Not me ....I knew what to expect and Matt delivered the goods in STYLE! I'm sure you have read my posts where I say he was a better QB than Reffege, Wolke from Smyrna and Edmiston from Lincon Co.. Had he been allowed to scramble during the season (not given green light till 2nd round of playoffs - because there was no backup), I would be telling you that he was better than Austin Everson, but because he didn't I will simply say to my penpals from the Brentwood (fromthetop2 etal. ) that he could have been.

OK I'll let you in on a liitle secret...the new QB will be Michael Mikrit. He is a junior. He played at Franklin as a freshman and played LB. He was by far the hardest hitter on the freshman team. He thentransferred to Franklin Classical for a year and bbecause it's not a TSSAA institution he is eligble to play back at FHS this year. IMO he will be better than Matt Solima, in his Senior year, this year he will learn, but have no fear because he is extremely bright and will learn very quickly. As strong an arm as Solima and as intelligent about putting it where only his reciever can get it.

FHS27 is correct in that Danny Nowell will go to a different type of offense. I think it will still look alot like run and shoot but with more QB options and QB draws. Behind Mikrit is another capable, albeit not quite the power runner, junior that DNowell can go to if Mikrit goes down ...so I don't think he'll hold back like he did with Solima.

Enough has been said about Darrien, I pray he stays healthy because he will turn alot of heads.

The O-Line is as big or bigger than in the past and I think very capable of making and STAYING WITH ( the difference maker) blocks. Mac Cross was an important leader the past two years at center and leaves big shoes for bigger 6'2" 220 (younger) brother Ben to fill. Carl Gilliam 5' 11" 225 has put on weight and alot of strength in the weight room and will do well at guard, he played in several games last year on both sides of the line. Andy Harlin also has hit a growth spurt 6' 1" 215 and ,while unproven at the other guard, looks good in practice. Ben Seale can player either Tackle or Center but at 6' 3" and 235 will probably be needed at the tackle position. Ben has experience from filling in at center for Mac Cross when he went down with an injury 2 seasons ago, as a sophomore, he proved himself! The other tackle is Tim Leach while shorter at 5' 10" his 260 frame moves to the sideline faster than most DBs. A third year starter on both sides of the ball....enough said!

There are a number of TE posibllities. Dawson Bryant will probably see most of the time with Chaz Pace (aka SCAR) coming in to spell him. Wide outs John Hewitt and Jordan Pritchett while small in stature are both capable of making things happen. While not as well known as Joe Bell, Kevyn Murray or Ryan Nichols... just wait and see... Unknowns: Todd Cambell's son looks like a player and according to some ...was a big deal in KY ...we shall see. The kid they call Shamrock has impressed me with tremendous athletic ability... Rumormill is that he needs to impress coaching staff with his maturity ability.

As to Defense...Front four on D after LC game will tell me more. If we hold LC and Columbia to less than 150 yrds rushing....and we put 25+ points on the board in each game I will start to get real excited!! Tim Leach, Dawson Bryant, Brooks Plumber, Ben Seale, Steven Hotard and Darrien Waters are critical for the senior class. Mikrit, Pace and Cross keys to the junior class.

The kickers Cambell and DeFatta will make a huge difference, the return game will be as exciting, Bell was great, but give Ken Curtis and THE WALL he put in place their due!!

All in all the talent is there, the coaching is there, question is is the HEART there????? Time will tell

Edited by BigDogDaddy

CHS may have some weapons on offense at the skill positions, but what do they have on defense. Bates is gone, Hortons gone, Cisneros is gone, along with a few others that I can't remember the names.

The Cougars played a close game with the Bruins last year but against Franklin and Dickson County they were a few steps behind.

If I look at the past few years (starting with this group a Seniors when they were Freshmen) Centennial still has a lot a work to do against the top echelon of Region 6. No doubt they will be more competitive than in years past, just not ready to stake claim to the Region title.

I think it will be a battle between DC, Franklin and Brentwood with Centennial possibly pulling an upset along the way.

in reply to bigdogdaddy, i will agree that solima was a very good quarterback but i dont think he was as good as everson or edmiston, austen was probably the smartest quarterback to play high school football on the field in the past couple years, he could pass and boy could he RUN, with the offense he had installed when the bruins won state with steckel at the helm, most qb's couldnt run that offense trust me, i was part of it, but odnt get me wrong solima is very good and will do well at tech