Best Coach Ever

GCPioneer

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you looked in the paper this past Friday, you would have seen their top ten coaches of all time, Etter was #1, #2 was Chappell of Dalton, #3 was (forgot who)

,#4 was Monroe of Cleveland and #5 was Weathers of Red Bank need I say more thumb

825309611[/snapback]

Why does that make him best in the state when the rankings you're using to support him have him 5th in the Chattanooga area? And just because I don't believe he is best ever in the state doesn't mean I don't think he is a good role model and person, I've been told too many good things not to believe that.

The best coach ever is any coach who makes a positive impact on his players lives. Show the players respect and teach them to be good human beings and wins and losses do not matter. I love coaching but I love seeing a player make the right decisions in life more than coaching. If I can feel like I helped that player make a good decision then I consider myself a great coach.

That's true, but the point of the thread, from what I can tell is what's done on the field. Around Chattanooga I'd put Benny Monroe from Cleveland, Colquette at Marion/Grundy, both Griders from South Pittsburg near or at the top of the list in the past 20 years. Fritts from Sequatchie would be up there too but he was just here 6 years, now sending players to Division 1-A schools and advancing in the playoffs in Georgia.

That's true, but the point of the thread, from what I can tell is what's done on the field. Around Chattanooga I'd put Benny Monroe from Cleveland, Colquette at Marion/Grundy, both Griders from South Pittsburg near or at the top of the list in the past 20 years. Fritts from Sequatchie would be up there too but he was just here 6 years, now sending players to Division 1-A schools and advancing in the playoffs in Georgia.

825310740[/snapback]

Fritts - Give me a break, he couldn't hold Weathers jock strap nor could Colquitt

Monroe is the only one I would put with Weathers but he would be second to Tom.

Tom's forgot more football than most of the rest will ever learn.

My opinion of the best coach is none other than Randy (by gahd) Carroll from Gibbs High School.  26 seasons and counting!! ;)

825309957[/snapback]

I will have to agree with you on this one. He is great....great at tooting his own horn. He has an overall losing record, has not had a winning season in the past 11 years and has had too many altercations and near firings to count. Keep up the good work up there. Maybe they can beat the Claiborne and Grainger County teams and squeek one out against Scott and Jellico.

If you were to pose this question to the coaches themselves, without a doubt one name that would be mentioned across the state is Clint Satterfield of Trousdale County.  From a standpoint of pure football expertise, they don't get any better.  Even when his teams lack in athletic ability, you better beware.  He is a mastermind at exposing superior opponets weaknesses and motivating his team no matter who they are playing.  Had Trousdale not made the jump to 3A from 1A 3 years ago, there would be more gold balls in the trophy case.  Even at that, they still managed to make the semi-finals in 3A in 2001 and 2002 as the smallest school in the division.  At some point in time, I would wager that Coach Satterfield will be teeing it up in the college ranks. 

Several have mentioned Rankin.  No doubt about it, he is a good coach.  But he sure did not want to play against Satterfield during his tenure at Smith County.  He's not alone in that category though.  Many coaches would rater not play Trousdale whatever the classification, because it will be a hard fought contest every time.

825308799[/snapback]

Also, don't forget about Clint's father, Jim Satterfield. Clint had an excellent teacher

Edited by purplegoldfan

When it came to X's and O's, there was none better than Coach Ken Honea. Ask any coach around Middle Tennessee in the late 70's and 80's and they will all agree. He did more with so little at Cookeville High school.Also at Clinton High school did a super job. His teams were all so prepared and the opponent always knew the were in for a fight.

I have to disagree with all the Gary Rankin fans. Pretty much any coach can be successful with a team of kids that are recruited. Also, the rezoning lines in Murfreesboro were more than to Riverdale's advantage. No, this is not rumor or gossip, my ex-girlfriend had to sign a waiver stating that she couldn't release any information about Riverdale's sports programs or the accusation of their recruiting. Let's just say there are a lot of out of county tags on the cars at football practice. As for who is the best coach.... Gotta say coach Short cause I am from gallatin. Not to mention the ridiculous improvement of Portland's team when Short was principal there. Now he's back walking around the gallatin games...... Hmm... Boyce Smith was also mentioned. Have to agree with that one too.

Fritts - Give me a break, he couldn't hold Weathers jock strap nor could Colquitt

Monroe is the only one I would put with Weathers but he would be second to Tom.

Tom's forgot more football than most of the rest will ever learn.

825314729[/snapback]

What are you basing that on other than loyalty or the fact he's a good person? Fritts's 2A team in Vidalia GA last season was better than any in the last 20 years at Red Bank other than the 2000 and 1990 teams, and it took the arrival of the nation's top-rated running back from out-of-town to get Weathers that title. Same as Lowe, Ellis from elsewhere and players from other parts of the county and still one early round playoff loss after another. They had too many Division 1-A, 1-AA and lower division signings, plus others that shoud have signed like Dee Parker for them to lose playoff games like they did. This isn't to bash Weathers, I am sure it looks like it, I just want you to tell me how he is superior to these other coaches, not just locally but from all over the state.