Hazing

FBEmeritus

When I was a head coach, I told the upperclassmen that the only thing that would be allowed for Freshman to do would be to carry the water and football gear (cones, bags, dummies, etc) to and from the field. That was all in the way of "initiation" that would be allowed. All of the other stuff is stupid and I don't care if they want to call it tradition or not, it can get out of hand quickly and produce lawsuits no one wants (just look at what happened in Chicago two years ago).

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BleacherCoach. In your post you said "You get on here and spew your venom about how bad Kingston is and what the kids have done to ruin the reputation of Kingston High". Ya think?

Gee, if I had a kid who wanted to play FB and we were moving into E.TN and looking at the local news, I would avoid a community who allows and seems to condone this type of thing as normal.

You also said "As I have stated before, I believe the coach and principal made bad decisions on the punishment". Really, you think. I think the coach should resign. You’re going to tell, or try to convince me this type of thing is normal in the Kinston program and all during the coaches 18th years there he didn’t know about this ritual!

You go on and try to blame the victims and not the perpetrators for this event. Truly amazing!

The dad who allegedly watched his son get beat with a weighted piece of plastic is clueless and should be ashamed of himself.

Yes, my opinion but I don't like abuse upon the innocent and then people try blaming them for it!!

bleachercoach, I know alot more about than you can even think, You don't know me nor do you know what I know so don't get on here calling me a liar because you are clueless! How do you know what happened? Were you standing there? If so your just as guilty! If not don't try and tell me you know the facts. Go back to the bleachers where you belong!

Let me say for starters that i am from Kingston and i am ashamed of the way the school system handled this. I on the other hand don't agree with all of the bashing that is going on here, no there was not a stiff enough penalty placed on these kids but the way some of you are talking about them you would think they where ax murderers. There was a senior and some juniors that did this that makes them 16-17 years old, and i'm pretty sure 16 year old kids do stupid things. I know that two of these kids for sure had never been in any trouble before this, i don't know the other two. My point is the actions where wrong and the punisment not stiff enough, but remember these are kids that we are talking about! I also would like to say that i played at Kingston a number of years back and this not something that has went on through the years. Bigcat if all you have to do is get on here and bash kids and the town of Kingston you really need to get a life. Maybe you could start playing the flute again like you did in your band days.

Guest region4fan

Jacketfan, sorry to ruffle your feathers. i am not so much bashing your school or town as I am the practice of hazing. I think what happened at a local school is MUCH worse than what happened at yours......brooming.

anyone who can say when they were is school and there was no from of hazing is lieing. most coaches say it doesnt happen and if it does players will be gone but if you ever played high school sports you know it happens anyways. my freshman year i went through some thing but nothin that put me in bad danger.

jacketfan- Hate to disappoint you but I never played in the Band sorry but you'll have to get over that! I have a life sorry about that one also but I will not shut-up about an injustice that you would love to see swept under the rug.

123kid- There is a difference between hazing and initations. i went thru and initation when I played football years ago but it didn't involve physical nor emotional abuse. My son plays and he has never been hazed so what does that tell you.

bleachercoach the kid who went to LC is a good kid just talk to anyone who knows him and don't make up things YOU know nothing about.

Make no mistake; I think Kingston is a fine place to live, just like most small towns in Middle America. It’s not personnel. I just don’t think this type of thing should be happening at schools and within their athletic teams. No Exceptions!

My concern is abuse of people at any age. There is a fine line between abuse and a "Welcome to the club/team/organization" form of the rite of passage. That fine line is defined by reasonable people. Beating younger kids with a weapon on school property simply because they want to join a football team, to any thinking person, is wrong and not reasonable! Period.

What I am saying is simply, the school administration has failed to send the correct massage to young people that this sort of abuse is prohibited. With this slap on the wrist, wink and a nod action, it only sends a clear message to others this sort of thing is normal here and it is really the victims fault anyway.

A sad commentary indeed.

Edited by FBEmeritus

123kid- There is a difference between hazing and initations.

Is there? Because I have not heard of what the line between the two is. What one calls initation, another one may call it hazing.

And by the way BigCat, I along with some other people on this forum WERE there. I still what to know who you "know" all of this information firsthand. Because secondhand info is worthless to me.

Gee, jacketfan you said: "I along with some other people on this forum WERE there".

Then one would think with a big audience attending this event that this behavior is accepted, cheered and condoned within the Kingston Program. Sad! I bet those kids’ attorneys would be interested in that information. With this being the case, I would be afraid to live there after I tried to question the ole’ boys watching that coup!

For those of you who think this crime was no big deal, I am sorry to hear it.