Westwood quits at halftime.

Galilee

That game tells you all you need to know about inner-city Memphis football. Half the teams run it up at will, the other half can't play a lick and all of them cheat. As far as I'm concerned, the Mississippi national guard can invade Memphis and claim that pathetic town for its own.

825308682[/snapback]

HAHAHAHAHA thumb

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, now that just made me sound like a snob, which is what you sound like NW...just trying to fool you until you can see how you sounded from your first post. Just remember--most of the people living in Orange Mound are victims of circumstance and if you stay out you won't have any problems. It's been a long time since Germantown cheerleaders made a run through with "We're not snobs, we're just better than you!" on it, but now that I look back, statements like that just make the school look unappealing. I still like a rather risque run through for the CBHS game, which I can't post on this site, apparently, for the good times...

Edited by gtowngrad04

To Galilee,

Keep fighting the good fight. It is people like you that are making the difference. I am glad that someone is giving inner-city education a fighting chance.

As far as quitting, that should never happen. Hopefully, the coach at Westwood will at least be reprimanded. I don't think he should lose his job, because I don't know the situation in which he kept his players from taking the field. Also, this is this man's livelihood. Why would anyone on this board suggest taking that away? Lastly, Memphis has some problems, but overall I like the town. I also think that their are some fine athletic programs in and around Memphis.

I've heard from both coaches on the game in question last Friday. Westwood coach says he quit mainly because he only had 16 kids left to play( only started w/ 21). A lot of these kids were 9th graders and didn't want to get them hurt. Coach Slocum from Fairley was caught in a lie when he called into a radio station, that was dicussing the game. It had been told that Fairely had called a TO w/ 50 secs. left in the 1st half and then threw to the endzone 2 times @ the end of the half. He denied this. The head offical said that this did happen. I can't blame the coach of Westwood for doing what he did. Westwood used to have a good team, but open enrollment in the city schools have hurt some school because of recruiting. I feel the coach was trying to protect his players and that is the most important thing.

Edited by um2020

Another option for Westwood was to ask the Carver coach to put in his reserves and also play 7 minute quarters. If he didn't go with the deal with putting in the reserves then he could've looked at the options of forfeting.

I can see where the Carver coach wanted to keep in the starters in the first half because it was the first game of the season and he wanted them to get their reps. The Carver coach would've been stupid to keep in his starters in a game that was already out of reach because he could've risked an injury.

"I take back what I said about Memphis falling into the Miss. River. I don't want the whole city to go under ..... just Orange Mound."

hey, i used to live in orange mound.

and i got a good education there...

lesson 1: get out of orange mound.

but if i had to go back to memphis,

i would rather live in orange mound than germantown.

To NW.

you should be ashamed. your post was the most raciest statement I've ever read. all the schools you named are mostly or all black. Orange mound is the oldest black neighborhood in the nation. I'm from Memphis and White. If you think this kind of thing doesn't go on in all big cities your crazy. If you want to see how good your team is Get you some of Melrose, Fairly,Whitehaven, East... Melrose had a problem with Coach Thompson, When the school AD found out he fired Coach T. on the spot. I remember watching Melrose kill Milan a few years ago. And last year JCM. I talked to the coach after the game on the air, a nicer man you would ever meet. As far as Spring Fling, Lets talk about all the sites. Baseball, Auto Zone, U of M, Briarcrest, USA Stadium, CBU.. Track-Briarcrest (best in the State) Soccer-- I forget the name of the complex but it is the best in the south. Tennis- Hutchinson school. And Softball, They could have played at sites inside Memphis, But because Snowden is rated the best softball complex in the Southern States the chose to play it their so the players could play on the best fields in the south. what more can you ask. Sound like you need to do some Soul searching ( Memphis Style).

And stop putting people down because of race. You were doing it and didn't even know it. God Bless Galilee keep up the good work. Go OVERTON!!!!!!

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/prep_s...3132564,00.html

(need to create a free Log On)

Longhorns try to heal from forfeit

Includes this passage:

"On Friday night, fewer than 30 Westwood players dressed out for the Class 2A team's season opener against Class 4A Fairley at Freeman Stadium.

At halftime, with two of his players off to the hospital with injuries and his team trailing 42-0, first-year Westwood coach David Maxwell decided enough was enough and did not bring his team back out for the second half.

Westwood's 30-man roster includes eight eighth- and ninth-graders, and Maxwell feared he'd be putting them in jeopardy if the game continued. "