West Tennessee media coverage during week zero

Libertyfan

The Jackson Sun

They did a fairly decent job covering the action in West Tennessee last night. I understand mistakes were made in the coverage of the Chester County Jamboree, but, overall, the actual game coverage was pretty fair. Unfortunately, the sports staff at this paper is very undermanned. Grade C+

WTJS 1390 AM

This station covered the Northside at Humboldt game. What can I say? This stations coverage was horrible. The 5pm pregame show was a joke. Todd Starnes, the host, managed to offend every teenager in Madison County before the first break with some foolish comments. It is clear that he has absolutely no understanding of sports. He also hosted what was suppossed to be a post game scoreboard show. After listening to what seemed like 10 minutes of commercials, he finally came on the air. His show consisted of giving the scores from around the state, going to another break, coming back and giving them again then signing off. He even gave the wrong score of the Jackson Southside game. There were no calls taken, no detailed reports or analysis given of the nights game action.

As far as the game coverage, they unfortunately had a stinker of a game. This stations broadcast was also full of static that made it difficult to listen to. The new play by play man seemed to hardly ever give the score of the game. He also has a bad tendency to say "recievers right and left" alot. I wonder if he realizes that there are recievers right and left on every play of a game! The pregame coverage by the play by play guy and the color guy were equally as bad. They were giving predictions on games in the area and they both admitted that they did not know anything about several of the teams, yet, they still gave predictions by just saying they would go with the home team. Plus, they had a tendency to give out wrong information about games at other sites.

This station did not do anywhere near as good a job covering a game as they have done in years past. Grade F

WNWS 101.5 FM

This station carried the Southside game last night. Their pregame coverage was average at best. However, the play by play guy is hard to listen to because he is so annoying! Many of his comments concerning the Raleigh team were really uncalled for and were just plain unprofessional. The side line reporter was almost never heard from during the broadcast. The best part of this stations coverage was that they had a reporter calling in reports from the Humboldt and Northside game. His reporting was clear, and professional. He needs to be doing the play by play coverage of this stations games and the current play by play guy needs to be relegated to just phoning in reports! Grade C-

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C+?!?!

come on man I see the Jackson Sun's high school football coverage as one of the best in the state. They overextend their boundaries and unlike most city papers they travel the distance to cover the entire region of western tennessee outside of memphis. IMO they've done nothing but improve on that in the past 3 years. rock on Jackson Sun

Maybe the new newspaper will do the job. I thinks its called Jackson Today something like that, i heard they had some good articles in the first edition. I like 101.5 most of the time but they do get crazy with the things they say but overall they are the best covering football plus they usually take some calls. The whole sports section in the Sun is getting lame everytime i pick it up out of my driveway.. GO HAWKS..

C+?!?!

come on man I see the Jackson Sun's high school football coverage as one of the best in the state.  They overextend their boundaries and unlike most city papers they travel the distance to cover the entire region of western tennessee outside of memphis. IMO they've done nothing but improve on that in the past 3 years. rock on Jackson Sun

825308996[/snapback]

Hey Dark ... I guess the Jackson Sun check is in the mail. They haven't been very good in a few years. They core reporters are pretty good but the people who take call-ins can't spell "football" much less write about it. BTW ... The Sun does realize that Obion County is in West Tennessee, doen't it???

Three years ago, I would of given the Jackson Sun a higher grade in their sports coverage. The reporters that they sent out did a good job in reporting on the games last night. However, the sports staff at that paper has shrunk in the last year or so as several former members of the staff have either moved on to different departments or have left the paper all together.

The current sports coverage on the radio in the Jackson area has gone steadily downhill in the last few months.

During the 5pm portion of the broadcast, this Starnes guy was giving a news report about a Madison County teenager who was apparently arrested after he was chased by police. Starnes, in an attempt to play to the Humboldt crowd, said that "we all know that would not happen here in Humboldt". While his comments were probably an attempt to just play up to the Humboldt crowd, they were in very poor taste.

C+?!?!

come on man I see the Jackson Sun's high school football coverage as one of the best in the state.  They overextend their boundaries and unlike most city papers they travel the distance to cover the entire region of western tennessee outside of memphis. IMO they've done nothing but improve on that in the past 3 years. rock on Jackson Sun

825308996[/snapback]

You don't see many sports sections do you ???

Wrong scores,wrong team winning and so on and so on...They do overextend their boundaries except to Obion Co which they must think is in the boot-heel of Missouri.

They need to cover the Jackson schools as best they can and not worry so much about the surrounding counties.

As far as city papers..The Union City Daily Messenger has been the best over the last several years as those guys actually attempt to get the score right and who won the game right..And don't just go by what I say check out the awards they win state-wide for their coverage of sports in Obion Co.....

the jackson sun has been terrible for years. they do an ok job with crunch or whatever it is called. but i cant say it is great. i must say they do better covering football than basketball. wow they are HORRIBLE in that catagory.

825310081[/snapback]

That is for sure....

But I have to give props to that Humboldt-Jax N-S cartoon in the Friday edition..

That is a talented cartoonist...

wad,

I will agree with you that Dan Morris is sorely missed, especially during the football season. I must disagree with you about 101.5. Their broadcast would be much better if Milt Canovan were doing the play by play of the main game. Reeves is simply annoying at best. I listened to a good part of his broadcast and he seemed to spend most of his time critisizing the Raleigh coaching staff. That is what Reeves does best. His broadcast of the state basketball tournament was an embarrassment last year.

As far as 1390's coverage this season, it is very poor. "Diamond Dave" needs to go back to Trenton and Starnes needs to be off the air period! Who are you saying was horrible on their broadcasts last season?