new districts/regions

b-ball mania

1AMAN and bogie,

I don't really understand your usage of the possessive (me, my, mine, ours) in reference to players or the playoffs. I did not know that schools or school systems "owned" players. I was under the impression that we lived in a free country that allowed choices in education, housing, even fetal life!

Do you feel that parents and/or students do not have a right to choose to go or not go to a school or school system based on any number of factors? I know that certain public school systems are a huge drawing card when people choose where to live or move. If a family has a "bona fide change of residence" (TSSAA Handbook language) from your school to another school, do you feel you still "own" the kids in that family?

Just trying to understand your thinking...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked back at my only post in this thread, and I never used to words "me, my, mine, or our". Please refrain from putting words into my mouth. It's is usually crowded enough in there, what with all the crow and my big foot in there most of the time. :lol: I just feel that the private schools have a substantial competative advantage, especially at the lower classifications. Look at the records. It is obvious to anyone. I also think that a public school drawing players from another school's zone is wrong as well. If a public school is "open-zoned" I think that they fall into the same catagory as the privates. If your school is able to draw students from other schools' zones, the schools that are not allowed to do the same should not be forced to try and compete with that. Gibson County and Milan leap to mind as a good example of this.

I looked back at my only post in this thread, and I never used to words "me, my, mine, or our". Please refrain from putting words into my mouth. It's is usually crowded enough in there, what with all the crow and my big foot in there most of the time. ;)  I just feel that the private schools have a substantial competative advantage, especially at the lower classifications. Look at the records. It is obvious to anyone. I also think that a public school drawing players from another school's zone is wrong as well. If a public school is "open-zoned" I think that they fall into the same catagory as the privates. If your school is able to draw students from other schools' zones, the schools that are not allowed to do the same should not be forced to try and compete with that. Gibson County and Milan leap to mind as a good example of this.

825317325[/snapback]

Please accept my sincere apology for "putting words in your mouth" or, in this case, your posts. Your response to a poster's comment seemed to indicate you felt the same way that bogie felt. You referred to "them," I assumed, in reference to private school students.

Thanks also for your great sense of humor! That is sorely lacking in some posts.

Please accept my sincere apology for "putting words in your mouth" or, in this case, your posts.  Your response to a poster's comment seemed to indicate you felt the same way that bogie felt.  You referred to "them," I assumed, in reference to private school students. 

Thanks also for your great sense of humor!  That is sorely lacking in some posts.

825317806[/snapback]

I got nothing against the kids. They can do what ever they or their parents feel is best for them. My "them" was to the schools not the kids. Ya gotta laugh sometimes or you will pull your hair out. And I can't afford to pull it out at the rate it is falling out on its own. It is a race between falling out and turning gray and gray is losing by a wide margin. :D

I played on a public team that went against a private school in the state championship game. We were the best public school in the state that year without a doubt, but we were beat bad by the private school. We did not play good in the game, but we couldn't of beat them any way. My school only gets a team like that every 25 to 30 years. We had players that would of started for most public schools sitting on our bench. The debate was an issue then, and I thought that if we would not of played the private schools and won state, that we would not be the true state champs. My opinion has changed some since then. As a fan, watching my old school play has lost its luster. I can't get excited about the playoffs because we will not make it very far. I still cheer my team on, but it's not the same. I don't know if this would work, but this is what I would like to see happen. Split the schools and shorten the playoffs to 4 weeks. Crown a public and private state champ then in the fifth week have the public champ and private champ play for the best of the best. This way your publics do have the chance to be the best of their piers and get some credit for what they have done, but we the fans can also see who really is the best. Also open zoned schools (like Tyner) should be put with the privates. Just my opinion, and it might not work who knows. Tell me what you think.

Edited by jwinston

I played on a public team that went against a private school in the state championship game.  We were the best public school in the state that year without a doubt, but we were beat bad by the private school.  We did not play good in the game, but we couldn't of beat them any way.  My school only gets a team like that every 25 to 30 years.  We had players that would of started for most public schools sitting on our bench.  The debate was an issue then, and I thought that if we would not of played the private schools and won state, that we would not be the true state champs.  My opinion has changed some since then.  As a fan, watching my old school play has lost its luster.  I can't get excited about the playoffs because we will not make it very far.  I still cheer my team on, but it's not the same.  I don't know if this would work, but this is what I would like to see happen.  Split the schools and shorten the playoffs to 4 weeks.  Crown a public and private state champ then in the fifth week have the public champ and private champ play for the best of the best.  This way your publics do have the chance to be the best of their piers and get some credit for what they have done, but we the fans can also see who really is the best.  Also open zoned schools (like Tyner) should be put with the privates.  Just my opinion, and it might not work who knows.  Tell me what you think.

825318853[/snapback]

The T$$AA won't ever shorten the playoffs. However, that is not a bad idea.

I also think that a public school drawing players from another school's zone is wrong as well. If a public school is "open-zoned" I think that they fall into the same catagory as the privates. If your school is able to draw students from other schools' zones, the schools that are not allowed to do the same should not be forced to try and compete with that. Gibson County and Milan leap to mind as a good example of this

I have always said those public schools that have the "open-zoned" formats should also be classified with the privates and subject to the 1.8 multiplier as well. There is not much of a difference.

I have always said those public schools that have the "open-zoned" formats should also be classified with the privates and subject to the 1.8 multiplier as well.  There is not much of a difference.

825318947[/snapback]

It really depends on where that public school is located...although I agree with you. An open zoned public school in Smith Co. is a little different than an open zoned public school in Davidson or Shelby Counties.