Leg Cramps

BigDogDaddy

Muscle cramps can have many causes. Mostly it is from excessive physical exertion, particularly during hot weather. Cramps are caused by a lack of stretching. overuse, or being used in an improper method. Cramping is the result of this and a loss of sodium, potassium, and fluid. Also, certain supplements (creatine, Ripped Fuel) will hasten cramping. Assuming you have proper pre-game hydration, drink a bottle of Gatorade with two potassium tablets a couple of hours before kick-off. If he cramps afterwards, make sure he takes an anti-inflammatory like Aleve or aspirin before they go to bed. If cramping continues after all of this, particularly in the leg or foot, it may be an indication of PVD (peripheral vascular disease). Have it checked out.

Edited by fromthetop2

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GATORADE AND POWERADE are only good during workouts, they just don't stop cramping. Most kids don't drink water at all in a regular day. They only time they have water in their mouth is to brush their teeth. Just one glass a day would help. I do agree to many soft drinks are being drank these days. The best still is pickle juice. It tastes awful but man it works.

Muscle cramps can have many causes.  Mostly it is from excessive physical exertion, particularly during hot weather. Cramps are caused by a lack of stretching. overuse, or being used in an improper method. Cramping is the result of this and a loss of sodium, potassium, and fluid.  Also, certain supplements (creatine, Ripped Fuel) will hasten cramping.  Assuming you have proper pre-game hydration, drink a bottle of Gatorade with two potassium tablets a couple of hours before kick-off.  If he cramps afterwards, make sure he takes an anti-inflammatory like Aleve or aspirin before they go to bed.  If cramping continues after all of this, particularly in the leg or foot, it may be an indication of PVD (peripheral vascular disease).  Have it checked out.

825311792[/snapback]

RIGHT YOU ARE FROMTHETOP ELECTOLITE EMBALANCE IS THE CAUSE OF CRAMPING AND THE USE OF SUPPLEMENTS PARTICULARLY CREATINE BASED NOT ONLY ENHANCES CRAMPING CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS IF NOT HYDRATED QUICKLY. GREAT INFO

GATORADE AND POWERADE are only good during workouts, they just don't stop cramping.  Most kids don't drink water at all in a regular day.  They only time they have water in their mouth is to brush their teeth.  Just one glass a day would help.  I do agree to many soft drinks are being drank these days.  The best still is pickle juice.  It tastes awful but man it works.

825311821[/snapback]

How much pickle juice and how often?

Actually, too much water can lead to hyponatremia, a dangerous condition. Sports drinks (powerade, gatorade) are by far the best. Pedialyte is good but expensive.

We need sodium replacement. The old salt pills wouldn't have been too bad if we had been allowed to drink plenty of water with them. That's also why pickle juice helps some people.

Hot sauce: good only for a hangover.

Chiropractic: you've got to be kidding.

Sodas: definitely bad for you. So are coffee and tea. The caffeine in them acts as a diuretic.

If you want to know more, look up Dr. Dan Benardot. He's forgotten more about this stuff than most people ever knew. Another good site is Gatorade's site www.gssiweb.com.

Oh, and the pretzels and salty chips: those are OK too. Actually having those in the locker room at half time is a good idea. I have long advocated snacks at halftime. Gatorade makes a good bar for that but they are sometimes hard to find. Anything that is complex (simple sugars elevate your blood sugar too much, too fast and then drop) and easy to digest is good. The old standby of orange slices probably doesn't help too much. Bananas are OK. A PB&J on whole wheat bread may be about the best thing available.

I haven't read what everybody has said but I did skim over a little. Some people said to eat bananas and some people said to drink a lot of water. In case if anybody didn't know, the potassium in bananas soaks up the water. Now I don't know if you want a lot of water in your muscles or not but why would you eat bananas and drink water in the bananas counter the water? When I was playing at Blackman, our trainer gave us calcium tablets to help prevent cramps.