Has TSSAA dropped the ball

4AFAN

When starting this thread I was not at all trying to blast Maryville, it just came out that way. The difference in 4A football and 5A football is the schedules for regions. In 4A you will have usually 4 or 5 teams in each region that are somewhat competitive. While in 5A you have 2 and maybe 3 teams in each region that are competitive. I think that TSSAA does not want to see Maryville move up and knock out some of its 5A schools. Maryville is the best Team in the state. It is ran with class, dignity, and hardwork. Society itself has led to Maryville's continued success. When great athletes see how well Maryville has done, they want to be a part of that so parents move to Maryville, or Blount County.

Edited by 4AFAN

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When starting this thread I was not at all trying to blast Maryville, it just came out that way.  The difference in 4A football and 5A football is the schedules for regions.  In 4A you will have usually 4 or 5 teams in each region that are somewhat competitive.  While in 5A you have 2 and maybe 3 teams in each region that are competitive.  I think that TSSAA does not want to see Maryville move up and knock out some of its 5A schools.  Maryville is the best Team in the state.  It is ran with class, dignity, and hardwork.  Society itself has led to Maryville's continued success.  When great athletes see how well Maryville has done, they want to be a part of that so parents move to Maryville, or Blount County.

825312971[/snapback]

I don't think the TSSAA cares one way or the other what classification Maryville is in. Again, I would welcome Maryville moving up, it just makes E. Tennessee 5-a football better. I'm sure most people in Oak Ridge would agree. As for the difference between 4-a and 5-a around these parts, my observations are that 5-a's bottom feeders are better than 4-a's bottom feeders which makes the competition marginally tougher throughout the season. That said, Maryville has the program to do very well in 1-5A or 2-5A, competing for the region titles on a regular basis. As far as going to the 'Boro, we all have to go through Riverdale to get there.

just to put my 2 cents in, before they came out with the final classifications I looked at the numbers on the tssaa site and divided the the number of football schools by 5 and then counted from the the highest population back and landed right at maryville as the highest 4A school. With me being a non tssaa official it came as no surprise. Now the 1A did surprise me a little with the number being so high. So this thread of did tssaa drop the ball is a little misleading in that it was done by the numbers and came out real close as to what I figured on.

Travel shouldn't be an issue on whether Maryville jumps up to 5A. Farragut, Oak Ridge, D-B, the Chattanooga 5A schools all have to travel to play teams in their region. Heck, even Heritage and WB in Blount Co. have to do it. If these schools have the money to do it, I know darn well that Maryville has it.

If Maryville claims to have one of the best programs in TN(and they do have a great program), then prove it against the big boys and stop sitting in your 4A comfort zone playing Carter, Clinton, Hixson and teams like that!

Once again I am not a Maryville fan, but If you take the Region that they play in you will find this. 12 of the last 13 years a team from this region has either won or played for a state championship game. Also if you look at the record of the teams from this region over the last 13 years you will see the win lose record is higher than lower agains 5A teams. Many 5A teams would not schedule teams from this region. For many of those years it was a toss up on who the top 6 teams would be in that region. With Halls, Powell, and Clinton going down the last 3 years has brought the stregnth of Region 3-4A down, but Knox Central is now a state powerhouse team, and Knox West is getting stronger every year.

Oh is was a minor mistake It should have been 95 & 03. MSGOV can tell you. Your husband might tell you how many times teams from this region has beaten 5A teams. Just so you know the region is

1. Maryville, Has played in 5

2. Knox Central played in 1

3. Knox Halls played in 1

4. Powell played in one

5. Knox West

6. Knox Carter

7. Clinton played in 5A championship

8. Cleveland won either 2 or 3 while in this region and they ran out as fast as they could. Isn't that right MSGOV? Ask him and see ( him being your husband).

Morristown West was in the region in the mid 90's and left quickly. Before they started dominating region 3-3A.