Best of the Best

Rebel Nation

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Def. a good pick, but I am going to go with the team that had Carl Stewart, Chris McCord in the back field. I think it was 2002. Cade was a soph. and led them to an undefeated season and state win over a stacked Hills. team. Also broke all kinds of scoring records and if u take a look at the scores, not many were close at all.

That'sa fav of mine too. Cade was still learning the position, but held off another good QB prospect to lead the team. I went to that Championship game. Hillsboro's offense was totally incomprehensible. That was one heck of a win!!

Good choice <_<

Not even close guys. The best team to ever don the red and black was the 69-70 team. Undefeated state 2A (only three divisions then) champions and nationally ranked. They had two highschool All Americans - Tommy Beaver (QB) and James Allison (Tackle). Both signed with UT. In a two year period 11 players off that team signed D-1 schollys.

Tommy Beaver is the best athlete to ever participate at Maryville. He was one heck of a QB...strong arm...running ability...and acuracy. In the backfield was Troy Bowman....a punishing 220 poound fullback. The backfield was filled with scat backs such as Gary Burchfiled, Steve Mynatt, and Bob Hood. Lineman were Pickens - Allison - the Emert brothers to name a few. They even had a kicker that was accurate from 50 yards and put the ball in the end zone on most kkick-offs...AL Keener.

I realize it was a different era and athletes are more advanced today but in comparing teams versus competition this 69-70 Rebs were an awesome show.

78 team had Irwin at QB. great at the option Reed and Maples at half back Casteel was the tightend and Defense leader with talley, Payne, Merriott. I know what you mean about the 70 team. The best film I ever saw was MHS vs Loudon and the guy tackled a MHS player in the endzone after he broke one for around 65yds.

To broden the subject, which Maryville team showed the most heart in the face of adversity? Who was the best runningback to ever play at MHS? Who was the best receiver. Those don't have to be by stats alone. Heart, leadership and determination play a role too.

825321518[/snapback]

Maryville team showed the most heart in the face of adversity? Tie between the 1976 and the 2000 teams The 76 team was one of Coach Wilson's least favorites. In 75 Maryville beat Loudon in four OT's in regular season and then lost to Loudon in 2 OT's in the semi's. Loudon went on the destroy Hartsville in the state championship game. Wilson's dislike of the 76 group was because of the lifestyle most of the seniors lived. Sandy Spings was the hang out.... Marlboro Red was their brand....Miller ponys was their choice of beverage......... fake ID"s were the first card in their wallets......and shutting down Uncle Sams on school nights was a norm. What he underestimated was the heart and determination of a group of "rough as cob' kids that were always overcoming and redefining the institution. Mike Phillips was a good highschool QB followed by Danny Spradlin, All-American RB and LB, Tim Arnold, LB and TE, Rick Loope, all-state RB and DB, Rick Maples - Shophomore FB and LB. The offensive line averaged 162 pounds lead by 145 pound center Chuck Anderson, David Hill, Richard Lowe, and Keith McCord. Defensively this team was surprising with excellent linbackers and DB's. On the D-line was two big juniors...Mark Talley and Moose Evans, and shpoomore Mike Casteel at end. At WR was Willey Nelson. This team had only 12 seniors and only 8 that contributed. Predictions were not good following a class , 75, that was loaded but didn't win the state. Most gave them a chance of 500 and that was about it. Tehy went out and soundly defeated and undefeated and highly favored <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> team for the state title. I think Wilson learned to love this team after that year.

The 2000 class for obvious reasons. Lose your first four games and then win out. Great accomplishment.

Who was the best runningback to ever play at MHS? Tough to say because there have been several. These eyes have experienced many of them but I would have to say 1) Carl Stewart 2) David Reed 3) Steve Mynatt 4) Potter 5) Chris McCord ...I'm sure I'm leaving a few out.

Who was the best receiver

In this order 1) Benny Davis 2) Steve McCulloch 3) Willie Nelson 4) Brad Merritt 5) Tyler Gaskin

Best Linebackers..... 1) Danny Spradlin 2) Mike Johnson (1966) ask Albert Davis about Mike 3) Colton Baker

JMO

Edited by MLREB

The best film I ever saw was MHS vs Loudon and the guy tackled a MHS player in the endzone after he broke one for around 65yds.

Ask Bob Hood about that tackle. Possible the hardest hit he ever took. Incidently that film has been watched by thousands during PE class and it's labeled "The Shadow"

dmoyers1 To close to the Tide. Go back to the late 70's and you see Maryville warming up dressing and looking just like the tide. Oh and Winning just like them. Coach Wilson, Story and Brown always visited Alabama and the Bear in the spring. So body should get a copy of the Shadow and post it. I've not seen it in 25 years.

Sandy Spings was the hang out.... Marlboro Red was their brand....Miller ponys was their choice of beverage......... fake ID"s were the first card in their wallets......and shutting down Uncle Sams on school nights was a norm. What he underestimated was the heart and determination of a group of "rough as cob' kids that were always overcoming and redefining the institution.

How do you know about all of that?

If good ol' Willey were here he would be "tanning some hide". Don't you agree?