Best of the Best

Rebel Nation

[quote=Rebelsman,Aug 31 2004 - 12:54 PM]

Sandy Spings was the hang out.... Marlboro Red was their brand....Miller ponys was their choice of beverage......... fake ID"s were the first card in their wallets......and shutting down Uncle Sams on school nights was a norm. What he underestimated was the heart and determination of a group of "rough as cob' kids that were always overcoming and redefining the institution.[/b]

How do you know about all of that?

If good ol' Willey were here he would be "tanning some hide". Don't you agree?

Sandy Speings ParK? I was just a good listener to all the gossip that came out of that little valley. No way I would participate in those activities ;)

Amen to Willey.

Edited by MLREB

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MLREB '76 was a very good year.

The tackle in the end zone (The Shadow) was at Loudon (Dukes Field), but was against Cleveland in the '70 AA State Championship Game.

Larry Johnston was the great LB in the mid '60's.

I agree that for the era the '70 team was very tough. I agree about Benny Davis and Tommy Beaver from that team. Plus we had an awesome staff. Ted Wilson (Maryville and Kingsport D-;) head coach, Benny Monroe (McMinn County and Cleveland) offensive coordinator, Don Story (Maryville) defensive coordinator.

RB's 1. Carl Stewart 2. David Reed 3. Troy Hodge 4. Bob Hood 5. McCord/ T.J. Brock

QB's 1. Tommy Beaver 2. Cade Thompson 3. Mike Phillips 4. Ronnie Irwin 5. Toki McCray/ Joe Costner

FB's 1. Troy Bowman 2. Ricky Maples

OL's 1. T.J. Miles 2. James Allison 3. Nick Black 4. Chuck Prugh 5. Brandon Waters

WR's and TE's 1. Benny Davis 2. Ryan Maples 3. Mike Casteel 4. Steve McCullough 5. Brad Merritt/Jacob Holt

DT's 1. Cole McKinney 2. Prugh/Black 3. Rick Armfield 4. Harvey Phillips

DE's 1. Troy Bowman 2. Mike Casteel 3. Drew Galyon 4. Ralph Lee

LB's 1. Danny Spradlin 2. Larry Johnston 3. Buzzy Thomas 4. Steve Olivera 5. Ricky Maples

DB's 1. Tyler Gaskin 2. Scott Wilkes 3. Russell Clement 4. Tommy Beaver 5. Kyle Harris

PK's 1. Andy Kerr 2. Ryan Gherts 3. David Waters 4. Kenny Travis

Kick Off Return 1. Michael Buchanan 2. Troy Hodge 3. Patrick England 4. Tommy Johnson

Punt Return 1. Donnie Hodge 2. Buster Smith 3. Troy Hodge

Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Thanks stars. Your line selections were on the money. It is interesting that my job in the LHS-MHS game of 1970 was to block Allison. You might be interested in the video from that one. I have about 50 copies.

The 1984 team was the best to have NOT won a state championship, followed by the 1997 team. Both of those teams would have beaten most people. '84 was done in by injuries. '97 was done in by Big John Henderson and a running back who was awesome and whose name escapes me at this time.

recievers: sweetland, maples, wilks

runningbacks: TJ brock(what would the 2000 record of been without him? 0-10?), Carl Stewart, Burchfield and mynatt/Mike Potter oh and Ricky Maples

quarterbacks: Toki, Tommy Beaver, Cade, and Jason Phillips (sorry im not familiar with the old school guys dont take it personal...

O-Line: 98 team

D-Line: 98 team through casteel in mix also

Linebackers: Spradlin,Andrew Healy, Matt Blankenship, Josh Theriot, and my personal fav. Lucas tipton, nobody filled the gap quicker than him(ask riggs).

just thought i would post havent done it in about two years...lol.

let me know what you guys think.

recievers: sweetland, maples, wilks

runningbacks: TJ brock(what would the 2000 record of been without him? 0-10?), Carl Stewart, Burchfield and mynatt/Mike Potter oh and Ricky Maples

quarterbacks: Toki, Tommy Beaver, Cade, and Jason Phillips (sorry im not familiar with the old school guys dont take it personal...

O-Line: 98 team

D-Line: 98 team through casteel in mix also

Linebackers: Spradlin,Andrew Healy, Matt Blankenship, Josh Theriot, and my personal fav. Lucas tipton, nobody filled the gap quicker than him(ask riggs).

just thought i would post havent done it in about two years...lol.

let me know what you guys think.

825321813[/snapback]

Good choices......and I especially loved the name Lucas Tipton. Lucas was a perfect example of an undersized kid that most likely wouldn't have an opportunity at the next level because of his size. He laid it all on the line for his highschool. IMO that is what amatuer sports is all about.

Post more!

That'sa fav of mine too. Cade was still learning the position, but held off another good QB prospect to lead the team. I went to that Championship game. Hillsboro's offense was totally incomprehensible. That was one heck of a win!!

Cade did not hold hold off anybody, Alex rouse was taken out on a cheap shot during a scrimmage game against halls or somebody.

I have to go with either 2000 or 2002. 2000, because they lost their 1st four then came back when everyone said they couldn't and won state.

2002 because that team was just incredible, the numbers they put up was amazing. Drew galyon flying in off the end sacking qb's left and right, stewart and McCord running over, around, and through defenders like they werent anything. not to mention the receiving corps.

The 98 team was the most complete team I ever seen at Maryville. They had no weakness.They had good defensive line,linebackers and secondary. They also had a great offensive line,good quarterback,good running backs and good receivers. The special teams were also very good.

I will say this. I never saw a Maryville team play better than the 2001 team did at the end of the year and the 2002 team did at the 1st of the year. The 2002 team was the best I ever seen until the injury bug hit them. The 2002 MOWest regular season game was the best I ever seen a Maryville team look.

Post again sweetreb. You the man! Tell oldreb to come back also.