Best of the Best

Rebel Nation

They did go head to head, and the reason I think Cade didnt play so well his Jr. year was becasue Alex was back and was nipping at his heels to play. The pressure was too much his junior year unlike the soph. year. Still 2002 by far.

Best QB: Toki McCray

Best RB's: Carl Stewart ,Chris McCord, Matt Lollar

Best WR': Ryan Maples, Tyler Gaskin, Andrew Clement

LB's: Denarious Arrington, Lucas Tipton...too many to name

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great thread. I love the tradition and history of Maryville football. I'd love to see William Blount build the same type of tradition. Everytime I walk down that hall outside of the gym and see the team photos of those state championship team, I get goosebumps.

And that Sandy Springs reference brought back some of my own SS park memories. It was still a pretty good hangout in the late 70's -early 80's. I remember standing around with a bunch of Maryville buddies (better not mention names, some are pretty prominent citizens now) on a hot August night, drinking warm beer out of McDonalds / Burger King paper cups,(as a somewhat prominent citizen myself and a role model with teenage kids, I of course do not advocate this type of behavior now!) and watching a rookie Danny Spradlin play in a televised Cowboys scrimmage game on what was then a state of the art 13" tv with rabbit ears that plugged into a cigarette lighter of somebodys conversion van (can't remember who's van).

I also remember hanging out in the parking lot of Disco Studio 1 on Gill Street with some of my MurVul buddies listening to Atlanta Braves baseball on WLIL (Loudon).

Thanks for a good thread.

Edited by GovMan

I used to really like watching Tommy Johnson run, whatever happened to him? Also another great memory was the Maryville-Alcoa Clash at Alcoa. One of the Talley boys played with Kent Kyle maybe and the Headrick kid, anyway Maryville made a 3 down goal-line stand down at the scoreboard end to hold Alcoa off and win the game. Sorry I can't remember the year, but that game was fun to watch.

Next lets do an all counterfeit team from Maryville.

825322538[/snapback]

EXCUSS ME! this is not a topic about that. this is about the best teams that have come through maryville. it is sad that you have to be so immature and rude. You probably wont ever accomplish what those boys did and are doing now. I have known those boys personally for almost all my life and their families are WELL RESPECTED in maryville. its also sad that you have to bring up something that happen so long ago.

I used to really like watching Tommy Johnson run, whatever happened to him? Also another great memory was the Maryville-Alcoa Clash at Alcoa. One of the Talley boys played with Kent Kyle maybe and the Headrick kid, anyway Maryville made a 3 down goal-line stand down at the scoreboard end to hold Alcoa off and win the game. Sorry I can't remember the year, but that game was fun to watch.

825322865[/snapback]

That was 1981. I was a senior that year. Tommy Johnson ran the 100yd dash in 9.6 He could flat out fly. Tony Fox could run a 10.1 100 yd dash. That was the fastest backfield ever at Maryville.

RebelRon, What ever happened to Tommy Johnson. I never heard if he went to college to play. The only thing that was disappointing to me about that backfield was coach could never figure out how to get Tommy and Tony in at the same time and utilize them on the field together. Did a lot of that have to do with Maryville's offense being run from from the I-formation? I remember hearing a lot of people saying the position should be Tony's and the other camp was for Tommy. Either way they were both great to watch.

I have no idea where Tommy is right now. Tommy played at Maryville College for a year.

Tommy Johnson and Tony Fox were in the same backfield. Maryville ran the wishbone. Fox and Johnson were the tailbacks and Brad Harrison was the fullback. Barry Walker and Jeff Headrick alternated at quarterback.Lots of option plays that year.Sometimes Johnson was put in at fullback. He broke a lot of dive plays for touchdowns because teams were worried about the option. Brad Walker of William Blount reminds me a lot of Tommy Johnson.

I will never forget Tommy Johnson's 98 yd run vs Holston. That is a school record. Fox and Johnson could both flat out fly. Everybody was scared to death of the Fox,Johnson combination. Maryville didn't win state that year because they weren't physical enough on the line. A lot of underclassmen started on both lines. Kingston killed MHS on the LOS.

I will never forget a sign made by Alcoa in 1981. It said BOX THE FOX,SEND TOMMY TO HIS MOMMY AND SEND BRAD TO HIS DAD. I thought it was pretty funny.