Alcoa vs. Sweetwater

Tornadofan15

Govman, I have researched the AHS & SHS gome of 1993.  I didn't know you had made a move.  I am willing to accept the lunch.  Call me and name a time and place.

825344851[/snapback]

I wanna' go! I really like both you guys. I'm sure it will be great conversation between two very knowledgeable guys.

GovMan knows who I am.

Coach, I am one of the last guys you coached in football in the spring of '74. Coach Fugate and Coach Webb took over for you and coach Abbot the next fall. I was an incoming sophmore. You see me quite often. I am now in the car business and have been 20 plus years. I am sure you tell everyone that I was your favorite student of all times. You probably only paddled me 8 or 10 times.

Another hint: Why would I be cheering for the C-N Eagles?

Edited by Rebelsman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meigs left the sprinklers on for 3 days prior to that game in 1993. The field was nothing but a huge pile of mud. They had to negate Alcoa's speed and that's the way they choose to do it. It was very shady.

Alcoa's QB, Nathan McCollum, completed more passes to Meigs County's DB (5) than he did to his own team (4) in that game. It was pathetic. Meigs won 24-0 and a sweetwater team that was the second best team in the state went on to win the state title.

Rebelsman, get Govman to show his face and we will pig out.  I think he knows by now that little Al pushed the SWS player out of bounds.

825345755[/snapback]

Mr Abbott:

I was originally going to write a long rebuttal, but on second thought ... Just do me one favor, next time you talk to Ronnie, Punkie, Coach Webb, Hank Snyder, or Tim Russell, ask them how the game ended.

I hate to question your memory--and I sure don't won't to wrestle you--but when I say the play happened right in front of me, I don't mean I was in the bleachers or standing along the fence, I mean, the play literally happened right in my lap on the sideline.

If you'd like, we can up the bet (ha, ha).

P.S. I'm teaching your dad's Sunday School class this Sunday. It'll be my second time filling in there. Talking about a treat !!!

Edited by GovMan

kb3 - I talked to Dustin on the sideline. He said he thought he had pulled a hamstring or something. I don't think his injury will keep him out of next weeks game. I'm not sure if he didn't play much in the second half because of the injury or the coach decided he didn't need to be playing in those conditions in a game SW had no chance of winning.

Hey Govman, Ask Clint to take you to Scruggs for some ribs Alcoa style!

• 2 weeks later...
Meigs left the sprinklers on for 3 days prior to that game in 1993.  The field was nothing but a huge pile of mud.  They had to negate Alcoa's speed and that's the way they choose to do it.  It was very shady.

Alcoa's QB, Nathan McCollum, completed more passes to Meigs County's DB (5) than he did to his own team (4) in that game.  It was pathetic.  Meigs won 24-0 and a sweetwater team that was the second best team in the state went on to win the state title.

825345264[/snapback]

It had rained for 2 days prior to that game. We did not turn the sprinklers on, but the field was a mess. The coach at the time did not care about the field. The highschool practiced everyday on the field and so did the little league teams here. The field was a mess without water, but water made it really bad. The coaches now take really good care of it and nobody is allowed on it during the week.

Just to set the record straight on one other thing, Sweetwater didn't get to play alcoa in the play-offs that year (even though they wanted it very very badly!) alcoa was beat by Meigs Co. that year. (not sure of the score) sweetwater then played Meigs on the road in the semi-finals and beat them 44-21 (wasn't that close) Meigs had a very good rb that year believe his name was Gary Meadows, and the wildcats shut him down. He got most his yds on a long run late in the 4th quarter long after the game had been decided and reserves were in.. Sweetwater then went to state and beat a very good milan team 10-6.  ;)

825342782[/snapback]

I was on the Meigs team that played in that game and Sweetwater was very good that season. They did shut down Meadows and they just had to many good players for us to defend. In the week prior we beat Alcoa 26-0. I am think we scored 26, but I know that Alcoa did not score.