Great Chattanooga Prep Coverage

GradfromtheNest

This year they're not a whole lot better in 5A than Sequatchie is in 2A, been that way for a while. Only two times I ever remember them playing in real games, Sequatchie won by 4 touchdowns then beat a Soddy team with 4 1-AA and 1-A players 14-7. They scrimmaged once after Price got there and Soddy was beaten pretty soundly. Would that happen this year, doubtful, but then again the school is 3 times as large so what else would you normally expect? Actually over the last 10-15 years I would say Seq could compete with Soddy in every sport except softball but nearly all schools would have that problem.

Edited by Indian

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Jefferson County, which is right outside of Knox County. While our scores do get reported in the Knoxville News Sentinel, they are pretty much little blips, because all the high schools in Knoxville get most of the coverage. Jefferson City, not even 25 minutes from downtown Knoxville, has its own paper with incredible coverage of Jefferson Co. Athletics and everything else that happens here, like hog callin contests and cow chip toss results...But the Standard Banner reports it and we have no complaints when the big city paper leaves us out...Knoxville paper should report Knoxville news, like UT football and Farragut, Halls, and Bearden...

hey Indian, i do not remember EVER scrimagin Seq. county and i played for Soddy through 2 years of price and 2 years of Ryan. we would scrimage McCallie, and Warren County, even BGA but never did we scrimage Seq. county. you must be thinking of someone else. and i promise we would have beat you pretty thoroughly each year with Jarvis Smith(should have been D1(Jail), Lydell Blue(carson newman), Chuck Losey(vandy), Avery Blue(CN), Robby Massengale(Cumberland), Conal Jones(could have went D2 father passed away senior year), Duran Smith(Marshall), Victor McClure(Tenn) and others. Sorry but i have watched your team for years and at no time would you be able to compete with us. Sorry it would not happpen, and even this year it would not happen. Maybe when price first got there which we had not had a winning season in 20 years but i think that would have been 91 or so. Also i have the book in front of me and the best we had in one senior year was 2 D1 players, and two players one to tenn techDavid Collett kicker and lydell to CN. Also you could not compete with us in wrestling either that would be a joke.

Sequatchie Co. and Soddy-daisy did play for 3 or 4 years in a row I believe. Seems like it was around 89-92. I really don't remember for sure, I can remember beating Soddy a couple of times though, but I don't think Price was coaching there yet, Its been quite a few years ago and I have slept since then.. Also during though years we beat McCallie 2 or 3 times too. Sequatchie had really good teams back then. But I'm sure since we are a small community some of these posters on this forum here don't really care so.... adios

yeah... because you are a small school,... and mostly because it was OVER 10 YEARS AGO! seriously, i mean you dont see anyone else bringing stuff up from when were still in ELEMENTARY school. dude, 'glory days' have passed you and sequatchie county. and mnewballer hit the nail on the head. we care about soddy because soddy is: A; In Hamilton County, and B; really good. neither of which applies to Sequatchie or any of those other counties you are talking about.

I will agree with most of the folks from Hamilton County in one respect: yes, the majority of the readers of the TFP are probably from Hamilton County, and they deserve to see the coverage of their respective teams. Especially when teams start the year playing great football such as Ooltewah and Soddy, just to name a couple. But one question that has always been raised is: "what is considered the Chattanooga Area?" "Where does the scope of the coverage of the media in Chattanooga begin and/or end?" Some people say that the Sequatchie Valley schools should not be considered, or that Mcminn Co., for example, should not fall in there, and when these schools arent having a certain amount of success, they usually receive very little coverage. However, when these "small" schools, as one post calls them, make a playoff run(ex: Marion/SP in 90s), then these teams instantly become media darlings. Obviously, the TFP cant cover all the schools all the time, but they do tend to curve their coverage towards those teams that are enjoying the most success, which should be expected. I, for one, am glad to see Ooltewah having some good years(its about time), but until they can boast of some real playoff contention(Cleveland, Red Bank) they will probably still fall short of the coverage they think they deserve.

Let me offer this suggestion.

Call the paper. Offer them info on your program and kids on a regular basis. Feed them as much info as you can think of. Also get to know at least one of the reporters. Ask for them every time you call. Make yourself available to them if they're hunting leads and info on a story. You'll be amazed at how much this helps.

The evil sports editor that once controlled the pages of the TFP is now gone. He didn't care at all about high schools. Now you have people in place that know the public wants great high school coverage. Is it as good as it used to be when there were two papers? No. But it's better than what it was under Calvin Beam.

Call them with your score and info no matter wheather you win or lose. Call them from your road games and make sure the other team called it in. Give them extra stats if they don't have it. If you help them it will make a difference.

They only have so many reporters. They can only go to so many games. You help them and they'll be as fair to you as possible.

Del.