William Blount Football Program

JRC

May have hit you a little hard, sorry about that.

Maryville was AA until early to mid eightys (around the John Olive era). Coach Dalton won most of his championships before that. Maryville's 76 and 78 championships were in AA.

By the way, I distinctly remember playing with several fellows that were from the Hall community, or either they had really dark tans.

I also remember Webb and Fugate bringing home Gold.

Our eras may be merging a little.

825351178[/snapback]

Ok, truce. Was a lil worreid about ya there for a sec. Maryville did play in AA years ago, yes. I meant during the era we were speaking of.

Anywaaaay, it's really a shame what's gojng on out at wB. agreed?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think coaches win because of So Called "Talent" at the high school level. I think when an effective leader and coach have a group of committed kids and supportive parents/fans he can win the majority of his contests.

Most colleges or the next level as it is called do not look for "Talent" per say, they look for kids who are athletic and have the genetics to be developed. Case in point is most top D1 football players can play a multitude of sports at a top level and many do.

Maryville is successful because the kids who bye into the model of champions that has been developed there. The kids work hard and believe in one another and trust and respect their coaches. A few years ago Maryville was 0-4 but the kids never gave up and GQ's job was never in question because of the respect for the man and the position a head coach enjoys, or should enjoy. Many fans and parents were concerned but never got stupid over the situation and allowed the coaches and kids to play through it. We all know what happened after that, 39-1. Remember the program was only 2 years removed from back to back state championship appearances at that time. The wheels could have come off but fans and parents stayed out of the mix, continued to support the program and the rest is history.

If the community at WB and the administration down there can't get it they should discontinue Football. I agree people in the stands who can't keep their foul mouths shut and/or throw junk on to the field should be banned from school property, period. The kids deserve better and no decent coach/man would stay if he or his family were threatened. I also agree many other schools would welcome coach M to their program.

I don't think coaches win because of So Called "Talent" at the high school level.  I think when an effective leader and coach have a group of committed kids and supportive parents/fans he can win the majority of his contests. 

Most colleges or the next level as it is called do not look for "Talent" per say, they look for kids who are athletic and have the genetics to be developed.  Case in point is most top D1 football players can play a multitude of sports at a top level and many do.

Maryville is successful because the kids who bye into the model of champions that has been developed there.  The kids work hard and believe in one another and trust and respect their coaches.  A few years ago Maryville was 0-4 but the kids never gave up and GQ's job was never in question because of the respect for the man and the position a head coach enjoys, or should enjoy.  Many fans and parents were concerned but never got stupid over the situation and allowed the coaches and kids to play through it.  We all know what happened after that, 39-1.  Remember the program was only 2 years removed from back to back state championship appearances at that time.  The wheels could have come off but fans and parents stayed out of the mix, continued to support the program and the rest is history.

If the community at WB and the administration down there can't get it they should discontinue Football.  I agree people in the stands who can't keep their foul mouths shut and/or throw junk on to the field should be banned from school property, period.  The kids deserve better and no decent coach/man would stay if he or his family were threatened.  I also agree many other schools would welcome coach M to their program.

825351191[/snapback]

Well stated FBE, as usual. That doesn't mean Maryville hasn't had times similar to these though. The Emory Hale, John Olive years weren't too comfortable for anyone involved. It wasn't near as bad as what's goin on at WB though. Light years difference. I think most coaches know their 2 bad years away from a new job.

WB needs to give Meadows time.

Wow! This is a sad commentary regarding the state of WB football. As a guy who was a rabid WB fan for a number of years, it breaks my heart to see this type of behavior going on at an otherwise respectable school. I'm sad to say that when I was a student there our football and basketball teams were worthless and our student section prided itself on berating and mocking the opposing teams. But at that time there were always responsible adults like Dale Jenkins who would gladly come set us straight if we ever got too far out of line. And the adults never got involved in our antics and we never turned against our own.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that this is a culture that has been cultivating there over some span of time and it will also take time to change it. When MHS went 0-4 a few years ago, this type of reaction did not occur b/c there is a culture and tradition of winning with grace there and with losing in the same manner. I hope that Meadows or someone can come along and right this ship. I hope the fans will learn to be patient and will come to understand that if they do not support the coach and his system that no coach will be able to win there. I hope that the administration will realize that if they do not support their coach and his staff better than this that they will have a hard time finding someone to fill that void when he is gone and that he will be gone soon.

Good luck Govs. And to anyone who is part of the problem I suggest you look across the field Friday night and take notes on how to conduct yourself. And to anyone who is not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

This is an awful situation at WB. Taking a sport that should be at its purest form at the high school level, and disgracing it like this. I think Coach Meadows may be a victim of his past success. People knew he was a winner at other schools, and they expected him to turn around WB quickly. The recent actions of some of the WB fans reflects today's culture of instant gratification and impatience. If a coach doesn't win, through crap at him, talk about him on radio shows and fire him. . . c'mon that's what the pros do. Don't corrupt high school football. . . just don't do it! If your going to act like that, give up the high school game and find a good greedy, corrupted pro team to root for. Get these so-called fans out of the stands and let the real WB fans support their team.

Good luck against Maryville this week guys. Have fun out their playing a game that you hopefully still love, and bring your real fans with you!

that's the deal...who's gonna want to come in there if they DO run Meadows off?  I think Jerry Dinardo has a job right now, doesn't he?  :D

Their reactions are so short sighted it's amazing.  For a team poised to really compete the last few years, this negativity threatens to beat all that progress down.

825351274[/snapback]

WB fans need to learn how to act if this is true b/c that's sad and Meadows is a good coach b/c in H.S. football you don't win on talent alone and he has proven he can win, no matter the talent they have to have some good direction, he's certainly one of the better coaches in the area, I've seen it first hand on the sideline ( no i have not coached with him )... Look at the murderous schedule they've played to date, 85% of teams in East Tn would be 0-4 with the schedule WB has played ( WB fans look at who you have played so far ). Between all four teams they've played, those teams has lost a combined two games ( Central one to a very good team and Alcoa one to a very good team ) Soddy and Ooltewah are still undeafted. So I don't think on the field things are as bad as they seem considering the schedule, so their fans need to realize that. After the Maryville game they are very capable of winning four of their last 5 games and possibly making playoffs ( Oak Ridge ) being the one definite loss

The next year, who knows? They might break over 500. They'll finish the year up positiviely and as someone else said, wins make a lot of this go away.

The one good thing I guess that WB fans can glean fom this is there is passion...SOME KIND of passion for the first time around their program. Now they just need to find a way to turn that passion to the positive side.

My secret squirrell football player at WB says the rumor is several players are trying to push Meadows, to what end no one knows, by trash talking him to everyone. Also he says that there is a rat in the woodpile. There may be a coach sending info to one or more teams on WB's schedule. If that is true, wonder who would have a reason to try and sabotage Coach M? Coach M, if you read this give me a sign and we will talk. I would love for you to move south and coach our boys.