William Blount Football Program

JRC

I was at soddy dasiy game and i heard people telling meadows wife to take her husband back to jeff co. i think it was some kids, also seen parents after game going into locker room. just because a parent gives money to program does not mean they can tell a coach what to do. coach quarles told me one time that the 1999 rebel team had enough talent to win the state, but that some of the players did not believe in what the coaches were teaching . you look at the rebels the last few years and you see a team with some talent but also a team that believes in the system. early morning workouts with 80 to 100 players their believing in the system. so when you get in a tight game and have 3rd and 25 and coach calls a screen pass and you pick up 30yds it works because the players believe it will. or try a onside kick after halftime it works because the players believe in the system. my point is till the william blount players , fans and the community start believing in the system that the william blount coaches are trying to teach then they will contiune to struggle. as for the article in the paper it was uncalled for. john brice should be fired . he did not have his facts right. i think mr brice was given some information that was wrong to start trouble, maybe by someone with his own adgenda at william blount .

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at soddy dasiy game and i heard people telling meadows wife to take her husband back to jeff co. i think it was some kids, also seen parents after game going into locker room. just because a parent gives money to program does not mean they can tell a coach what to do. coach quarles told me one time that the 1999 rebel team had enough talent to win the state, but that some of the players did not believe in what the coaches were teaching . you look at the rebels the last few years and you see a team with some talent but also a team that believes in the system. early morning workouts with 80 to 100 players their believing in the system. so when you get in a tight game and have 3rd and 25 and coach calls a screen pass and you pick up 30yds it works because the players believe it will. or try a onside kick after halftime it works because the players believe in the system. my point is till the william blount players , fans and the community start  believing in the system that the william blount coaches are trying to teach then they will  contiune to struggle. as for the article in the paper it was uncalled for. john brice should be fired . he did not have his facts right. i think mr brice was given some information that was wrong to start trouble, maybe by someone with his own adgenda at william blount .

825352219[/snapback]

Couldn`t have said it any better. That is no class at all talking to the man`s wife like that period. I also remember hearing last fall about another display at another game of another blount co. team losing in the playoffs and some of the sorry remarks made about a coach from some so called *fans*. Wonder how it will go this way if things turn bad again during the play-offs? :D

Brice did do a hatchet job on the Govs......There is always something that keeps William Blount from achieving as they should.......Regretably a large proportion of that starts at home and filters into the school system and county government.....The people at William Blount and the Blount county schools in general, can never get unified and pulling in one direction on anything........Whether it is arguing about text books, school names, to build or not to build needed schools, who is the director of schools, and most anything else, including sports.......Sadly same song, 99th verse................

Edited by BillBlunt

Meadows moved the team to the other side so the players can pay more attention to the game.

That makes absolutely no sense to me at all. It's up to the coaching staff to end that. I remember playing for Maryville in the mid-80's, if we got caught watching the crowd rather than paying attention we got to do one of three things:

not play

run

run

I was at soddy dasiy game and i heard people telling meadows wife to take her husband back to jeff co. i think it was some kids, also seen parents after game going into locker room. just because a parent gives money to program does not mean they can tell a coach what to do. coach quarles told me one time that the 1999 rebel team had enough talent to win the state, but that some of the players did not believe in what the coaches were teaching . you look at the rebels the last few years and you see a team with some talent but also a team that believes in the system. early morning workouts with 80 to 100 players their believing in the system. so when you get in a tight game and have 3rd and 25 and coach calls a screen pass and you pick up 30yds it works because the players believe it will. or try a onside kick after halftime it works because the players believe in the system. my point is till the william blount players , fans and the community start  believing in the system that the william blount coaches are trying to teach then they will  contiune to struggle. as for the article in the paper it was uncalled for. john brice should be fired . he did not have his facts right. i think mr brice was given some information that was wrong to start trouble, maybe by someone with his own adgenda at william blount .

825352219[/snapback]

That was one heck of a post rebel1978. You are still under the thumb.

825352219[/snapback]

Are you telling me that you personally witnessed some William Blount fans accosting Patti Meadows to her face, telling her to "take her husband back to Jefferson County?" If so, I would be very appreciative if you could give me some specifics. These kind of situations can--and will--be dealt with in an appropriate manner.

And when you say you've seen parents going into the dressing room after a game ... are you talking about barging in, unwelcome, and causing a problem? Or perhaps entering the locker rooms area after the coach has addressed his team and the players are simply packing things up and getting ready to leave the stadium? If parents are going in when they are not supposed to, it needs to be addressed.

Once again, the unfortunate incident of a "fan"-- NOT A FAMILY MEMBER--entering the locker room during halftime of the Soddy game was swiftly and strong dealt with by administration. The gentleman who entered the locker room is forbidden--by law--to step foot on the premises at WB for the remainder of the year.

You're right about buying into the system. And many, many (i.e. the majority) of WB fans are supportive and willing to do just that. But Brice took one or two unfortunate incidents and one or two red neck jerks and a bunch of innacuracies and out & out mistruths and painted a bad picture of the entire William Blount community. It was uncalled for, unfortunate, and simply, very unprofessional journalism. Tabloid stuff meant to create a controversy and sell papers. Brice has a bias towards William Blount... I KNOW THIS TO BE A FACT.

Edited by GovMan

Mrs. meadows was on the track after game walking toward gate where team comes out. i heard it and turned to look in stands where it come from. all i seen was a bunch of students. as far as the parents going in locker room , all the coaches were in their office and meadows was outside with his wife on the track. to me the parents need to wait on their kids outside the locker room no matter what. the next home game the coaches put up a rope to rope off an area to keep parents and foot traffic out . it was pulled down. the AD should step up and help with this problem instead of riding around in his golf cart durning the game. i did see a 7ft 400pound bodygaurd with the team at the alcoa game. john brice needs to be held accountable for his misleading words. he has kicked a team when they where down . uncalled for. i am sending a e-mail to john brice and would like to see other fans do the same. good luck to both william blount and maryville friday night.

I guess one possible positive outcome of all this is that both teams will be fired up for this game. There's plenty, plenty, plenty o bulletin board material in the Daily Times, here and elsewhere. Let's all hope that everything comes off without a hitch tomorrow nite and we get a great game out of all this.

What's done is done now. Let's play ball!! We can hand Brice after the game.... :P

Mrs. meadows was on the track after game walking toward gate where team comes out. i heard it and turned to look in stands where it come from. all i seen was a bunch of students. as far as the parents going in locker room , all the coaches were in their office and meadows was outside with his wife on the track. to me the parents need to wait on their kids outside the locker room no matter what. the next home game the coaches put up a rope  to rope off an area to keep parents and foot traffic out . it was pulled down. the AD should step up and help with this problem instead of riding around in his golf cart durning the game. i did see a 7ft 400pound  bodygaurd with the team at the alcoa game. john brice needs to be held accountable for his misleading words. he has kicked a team when they where down . uncalled for. i am sending a e-mail to john brice and would like to see other fans do the same. good luck to both william blount and maryville friday night.

825352463[/snapback]

Rebel78,

I think you and I can both agree that there are certain things that need to be dealt with ... but there are also certain things (i.e. some redneck yelling from the stands) that are hard to control.

As far as the parents coming into the locker room ... I agree they probably don't belong in there, but have we done a good job of explaining our policy concerning that? If we have, and it's still occuring, somebody needs to have the guts to step up and run people out.

Concerning the AD ... people need to understand what all his duties are during a game. He rarely gets to see any of the game. He IS NOT just riding around in a golf cart. He is ultimately responsible for everything that goes on before, during, and after the game. Think about how much that is. He works hard on Friday nights and runs a good show.

As far as the bodyguard thing ... if this is true, it is ridiculous. If Coach Meadows or any other member of the coaching staff has employed the services of a "body guard" they are overreacting. We have several uniformed officers at our games--as all schools do--who are more than capable and ready to respond to any situation that would merit the "protection of our coaches."

In the paper, Brice mentioned the "guard" on post outside the team's locker room before and after games. It has always been WB's policy to have one of the SRO's (Blount County Sheriff Deputies) stationed in the area of the locker room at games. That's nothing new.

It's all about perception ... and thanks to Brice's blatantly exagerated and down right false in places column ... the wrong perception in being painted of the overall program and atmosphere at William Blount.

I intend to attempt to try to talk to Coach Meadows personally. I hope he is going to tell me that he was misrepresented in Brice's article. The type of unruly behavior described in Brice's article of WB fans represents a very small, minuscule portion of the people at WB football games. If Coach Meadows doesn't realize that--or believe that--I would really like to let him know how much support he "really" has.

GovMan: I looked in the paper this morning and didn't see a correction, retraction, or an apology from Mr. Brice. If you are correct that the story was grossly inaccurate, and I have no reason to doubt you, then the paper has a responsibility to owe up to the error of its ways. Do you plan on following up with them?