Union City Football

davisdude

UC and South Fulton in the same league could make for an interesting possibility of rivals later on down the road.. SF has basically ran through the county junior high leagues this season and has a great group coming up.. Most of the skill position players the Red Devils have(Vinson, Oliver, etc.) will be back so next year

could be interesting with a great group of FR. and So. up and coming for UC :lol:

Also with UC going down to 1A, the media coverage between their stations and the SF stations in Fulton would give the REd Devils more exposure which is perfect considering the timing of their new facilities

I wouldn't say that SF's junior high "ran through" every school in the county this year. Two of their county games (vs Hillcrest 8-0 win, and Black Oak 22-14 win) could easily have gone the other way. Both of those games were decided on the final possession of the game. Im not taking anything away from SF because they do have a good group of athletes and they did find ways to win those two games, but to imply that they dominated would be wrong.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think UC will do great in 1A. I am not for sure but I would think they would be one of the largest 1A schools in the state. Their football team will have great sucess in 1A. They had a lot of athletes when Milan playes against them and Milan was fortunate to win the game. Those athletes will dominate 1A.

825354080[/snapback]

Very interesting post. Yea, they'll probably do good in 1A ball but their program will continue to go down if they don't keep a competitive schedule. How many fans will go to a game and watch Gleason play UC? How about Greenfield? JCS doesn't travel well. Bruceton crowds are way down from their glory years. Money drives programs. That's why schools love to play Milan and Huntingdon because of the large gates they bring. Last year the H'don-Milan game brought in 15,000 to the kitty for Huntingdon. Compare that to a gate of Gleason bringing 100 fans to a game at UC? What I'm saying is I don't believe the folks from UC will like the level of football in 1A like the level thay've been used to.

sportsradiotn,

Unfortunately, I have to agree with your assesment of the two 1A regions (not counting Shelby Co. area) in West TN. The problem is I'm from McKenzie and that would put us in a region where our only close opponents would be Bruceton and West Carroll. Our next closest opponent would be in Jackson in the region. Whew, I hate those long drives.

I've heard rumors of a "Super-Region" as well. Possibly with an Eastern and Western or North and South division. Either way, We're lookin' at some long drives!

UC and South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Fulton</a> in the same league could make for an interesting possibility of rivals later on down the road.. SF has basically ran through the county junior high leagues this season and has a great group coming up.. Most of the skill position players the Red Devils have(Vinson, Oliver, etc.) will be back so next year

could be interesting with a great group of FR. and So. up and coming for UC :blink:

Also with UC going down to 1A, the media coverage between their stations and the SF stations in Fulton would give the REd Devils more exposure which is perfect considering the timing of their new facilities :D

825360061[/snapback]

Maybe the Rebel Bowl should feature Union City Middle School and South Fulton Middle School...oh, that probably won't happen will it. Has UCMS ever played or been invited to the RB?

Maybe the Rebel Bowl should feature Union City Middle School and South Fulton Middle School...oh, that probably won't happen will it.  Has UCMS ever played or been invited to the RB?

825361577[/snapback]

Union City plays in the WTAC (West Tennessee Athletic Conference) where they have a playoff for the top teams in each division (North and South). Obion County schools have no such conference in which to play. Thats why the Rebel Bowl is for Obion County School System schools. Its nothing personal against other schools such as UC, Lake Co, Dyersburg, etc., but the smaller county schools deserve the same right to play in a postseason bowl game so OC has its own. That being said, if there is only one county school that is very good and all the other county schools are 2-5 or something like that, then the county champ would have the right to ask someone else to play. The last few years, however, there have been at least 2, maybe 3 strong teams so asking someone else hasn't been an option.

Edited by oblivious

Maybe the Rebel Bowl should feature Union City Middle School and South Fulton Middle School...oh, that probably won't happen will it. Has UCMS ever played or been invited to the RB?

The Rebel Bowl involves the two best teams in the Obion County School System which Union City is not a part of :D But don't worry, have no fear. Before long they'll disband as a school system and become a part of the county system per state law.. :blink: This game features the younguns that will eventually play in the two COUNTY high schools that Obion Co. currently has thumb

Union City plays in the WTAC (West Tennessee Athletic Conference) where they have a playoff for the top teams in each division (North and South).  Obion County schools have no such conference in which to play.  Thats why the Rebel Bowl is for Obion County School System schools.  Its nothing personal against other schools such as UC, Lake Co, Dyersburg, etc., but the smaller county schools deserve the same right to play in a postseason bowl game so OC has its own.  That being said, if there is only one county school that is very good and all the other county schools are 2-5 or something like that, then the county champ would have the right to ask someone else to play.  The last few years, however, there have been at least 2, maybe 3 strong teams so asking someone else hasn't been an option.

825361604[/snapback]

Actually in the early days of the Rebel Bowl the Obion County champion played someone from elsewhere. Newbern & Union City both played in it before they became affiliated with the WTAC. As far as post-season play, the Obion County schools are members of the TMSAA, the middle school version of the TSSAA, and could participate in their post-season playoffs but have never chosen to in football.

Maybe the Rebel Bowl should feature Union City Middle School and South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Fulton</a> Middle School...oh, that probably won't happen will it. Has UCMS ever played or been invited to the RB?

The Rebel Bowl involves the two best teams in the Obion County School System which Union City is not a part of :) But don't worry, have no fear. Before long they'll disband as a school system and become a part of the county system per state law.. B) This game features the younguns that will eventually play in the two COUNTY high schools that Obion Co. currently has thumb

825361612[/snapback]

Maybe the county teams need to branch out and become involved with the junior high leagues instead of isolating themselves.

I've asked before, but I think lawyer redbirdfan needs to quote the state law that says the UC schools sytem cannot operate legally.

I've asked before, but I think lawyer redbirdfan needs to quote the state law that says the UC schools sytem cannot operate legally.

I didn't say anything about the system not operating legally my fellow Wildcat fan.

I've simply stated before on this site on other posts that Obion Co. currently has two school systems.. But should the UC school system decide to disband and do away with their own school system BY STATE LAW the county school system has to take the Union City schools and become part of one county school system.. That's the state law.. Any county can do it.. If Dyersburg wanted to do away with their school system, same thing, Dyer County would have to take them in.. NOW my RedBird law fees are usually $100 per hour, but since you are a fellow fan of the Cards, I'll cut ya a break for my legal advise SportsRadio, let's say 95$/hour.

Hey, it's all about being generous here, and remember , you heard it here first :D