Powell v Maryville

PUCKERUP

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this one will be close as everyone thinks. Sure, Powell is big but then again they haven't played against a team like Maryville. I do think though this will be Maryville's toughest game this season. Hopefully Cade will be on fire again, RBs need to run well, and the defense puts on a good game.

Maryville:28

Powell: 10

Like I said, as I recall.  I wasn't at the Mowest game.  I don't doubt it was a factor though. They had their most athletic team in years last year. 

I agree with your assessment of size.  If there's one thing our team is, it's fit, so I think you're absolutely correct.  I guess my only concern is that Powell gets the ball first and then leans on our defense with the running game. 

Granted, it's a very small concern.  I don't see anyone doing what I mention above very effectively.  I can always find at least one thing to worry about in every opponent.  Even if they are successful with the ground game, their gonna have to match us TD fot TD. Powell isn't going to do that. thumb

Whatdayathink Papa?

825357848[/snapback]

I think that it's been a long time since I've seen a high school team that could match TD for TD with this Rebel offense. It's as much about the offensive scheme as it is about the players involved in it, but it presents far too many options for any defense to prepare for all of them in one short week. There are wrinkles in this offense that we may not see all season that they go over each week in practice.

To whoever went on the rant about all the athletes at Powell I'd say that no one from Maryville will tell you that you don't have athletes simply because we don't know yet. We've not seen you this year and we're only speaking on the history of this rivalry. Last year you could not match up with us. We think that we are better equipped this year and you will have to show us that you can go toe to toe with us before we, as fans, will give you credit for your ability to do so. I'm sure that the players and coaches are taking your size and athleticism into account and I'm comfortable with that because I think that we have the best players and coaches around.

My fondest memory of Powell is from Carl Stewart's senior year. Derek Milligan and company came to MHS to play and the buzz on coacht and everywhere else was that it was going to be a showdown between those two fine athletes. As I recall, Derek got off to a quicker start in that game than Carl did and the fans were buzzing about how he looked better than Stewart. However, the mood all changed when Carl got on a break-away run and slowed down almost to a stop before entering the end zone effectively allowing Milligan to catch up to him...only to drop him with a stiff arm as soon as he got within reach. He then calmly strolled into the endzone. It was one of the great moments of sheer dominance that I've ever seen demonstrated.

I think that it's been a long time since I've seen a high school team that could match TD for TD with this Rebel offense. It's as much about the offensive scheme as it is about the players involved in it, but it presents far too many options for any defense to prepare for all of them in one short week. There are wrinkles in this offense that we may not see all season that they go over each week in practice.

To whoever went on the rant about all the athletes at Powell I'd say that no one from Maryville will tell you that you don't have athletes simply because we don't know yet. We've not seen you this year and we're only speaking on the history of this rivalry. Last year you could not match up with us. We think that we are better equipped this year and you will have to show us that you can go toe to toe with us before we, as fans, will give you credit for your ability to do so. I'm sure that the players and coaches are taking your size and athleticism into account and I'm comfortable with that because I think that we have the best players and coaches around.

My fondest memory of Powell is from Carl Stewart's senior year. Derek Milligan and company came to MHS to play and the buzz on coacht and everywhere else was that it was going to be a showdown between those two fine athletes. As I recall, Derek got off to a quicker start in that game than Carl did and the fans were buzzing about how he looked better than Stewart. However, the mood all changed when Carl got on a break-away run and slowed down almost to a stop before entering the end zone effectively allowing Milligan to catch up to him...only to drop him with a stiff arm as soon as he got within reach. He then calmly strolled into the endzone. It was one of the great moments of sheer dominance that I've ever seen demonstrated.

825358644[/snapback]

With all due respect, your recollection is wrong.

Milligan rushed for over 200 yards in the game and had a great showing against Maryville that night. Stewart had a good, but not great game.

Milligan played little on defense in that game.

That said, both were, and still are, outstanding athletes and football players.

To sum up the last three pages:

KenHawk is a great guy, great teacher and great coach. It was poor judgement to call someone out in class (even though it wasn't by name) on a toipic that has NOTHING to do with the subject matter of the class. C'mon Ken. As a teacher, you know the admendments of the constitution gaurantee us a voice, anytime, anywhere. Just tune the voice out if you don't like it.

Yes, Powell has had some great athletes, but it never seems to do them much good against Maryville. As someone else mentioned, Maryville has a system. We have good athletes across the board, not one or two, here or there. We also have tremendous depth. That system and depth will be the difference in the ballgame.

Rebelron is right on, as usual. It must be a burden to be right soooo often bro :ph34r: . I will disagree slightly though and say that this is a one half ballgame. Maryville is in control from the 3rd qtr on. It will be close for the first half.

Rebels 42

Kittens 21

"However, the mood all changed when Carl got on a break-away run and slowed down almost to a stop before entering the end zone effectively allowing Milligan to catch up to him...only to drop him with a stiff arm as soon as he got within reach. He then calmly strolled into the endzone. It was one of the great moments of sheer dominance that I've ever seen demonstrated."

Classic memory. That puts that argument to rest.... thumb

With all due respect, your recollection is wrong.

Milligan rushed for over 200 yards in the game and had a great showing against Maryville that night.  Stewart had a good, but not great game.

Milligan played little on defense in that game. 

That said, both were, and still are, outstanding athletes and football players.

825358668[/snapback]

As a point of clarification, I never called into question that Milligan had a great game. I'm sure he did. However, on this one play Carl put him on his backside and walked a few steps closer to a victory. No disrespect to Derek, his friends, his fans, his school, or his family was intended. It was just a great moment for all the Rebel fans who came to see their workhorse do something phenomenal.

I stood next to a guy claiming to be Derek's uncle at that game. He was a really nice guy and had a wealth of football knowledge to his credit. Then a couple of years later, I ended up sitting next to a very talkative elderly man when the basketball district tournament was at Central and he told me that he too was related to Derek. I can only say nice things about that kid's family from my limited experience with them.

Ok you say Powell hasn't had an athlete in a few years and you can only remember 1 athlete. You guys have to stop and think about the athletes powell has had just in the last 4 years. Here are some you may have forgotten about..........Andrew Tudor, Joey Stevens, Josh Norman, Derek Milligan, Cole Patrick, Dustin Plumlee and this yr they have.....Tyler Williams, Brandon Thrower, Cody Watts, Lee Smith

So whoever thinks these kids are not athletes you are about foolish

825358179[/snapback]

Maybe they are athletes but compare them to Carl Stewart, Cade Thompson, Cassen Jackson, Zach Helton, Terrence Scott, David Gaston, and on and on and on.

I find myself in agreement with pigskinrules...who would have thunk it?

Halls had an exceptional runningback a few years ago too (Jimbo somethin or other). Compared to the overall talent of Maryville's team at every position though, that's overwhelming odds.

Milligan was somethingelse, there's no doubting it. It's hard for one guy to beat 22+ though. It's the same this year, although Powell daoes have a MUCH more complete team than in years past. thumb