West vs Powell

FBallFever

What is everybody's thoughts on this weeks matchup between the Rebels and Panthers. West has a pretty good football team this year with 2 really talented running backs. Powell is coming off a loss and didnt look to impressive, but that was there 1st real test of the season. West is a good team but not a Maryville so this week should tell everybody if Powell just didnt play anybody before Maryville or if they are still one of the top teams in the area

Whats your thoughts

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks to be a really good game this Friday. Again, Powell's size will be faced with dealing with a more athletic team. What did they learn as a team from the Maryville game? West does not throw the ball as well as the Red Rebs, but Vanardo is a real threat running the ball. Hootie and Martin are two of the better backs in 3-4A, and both are fast. If Watts can get outside in a position to run or pass, this will cause the Rebels problems. West has nobody that can cover Lee Smith, and I think that should be a big advantage for the Panthers. With all this hem-hawing around I've done, my guess is that West will win a real close one. Good luck to both teams.

Medman I agree. I think Hootie and Martin will be too much for Powell. Powell's defense isnt that good. Your right Lee Smith is Powell's advantage on offense there isnt anybody in knoxville who can cover a 6'6 tight end that can catch as good as Lee Smith. Smith just wont be enough for Powell. I say West comes in and ruins Powell's Homecoming.

West 28

Powell 24

This game may come down to special teams. With each offense being able to score field position is at a premium. West has the speed on defense to give Powell's big boys trouble. However, if Powell is content to ram the ball down their throat then West may be in for a long night. Powell has not shown they are content to do that. They seem to want to throw and spread it out more than play smash mouth. West's offense can score from anywhere. Powell's defense is porous and seems to have had some fundamental problems with scheme. I see a game where both offenses score and one of the defenses steps up and makes a huge play. West's defense makes that stop and the Rebels win 28-24.

All this talk of how big and great the Powell O-Line was. They have not dominated a game yet at the line. I have seen them play several times. I am just not to impressed with them. They don't play smashmouth because they don't believe the line will dominate. At least it seems that way. If your players aren't getting the job done, then you change what you do, or change players. They aren't going to change players.

West 42

Powell 18