Best Ever Football/Baseball Player

mrfootball2000

Steve Spurrier has to be somewhere at the top of this list...All State baseball, basketball, and football at Science Hill.  I've heard he was the best baseball player on his team as a senior, and a couple of the other players ended up playing some pro ball.  Of course, went on to win the Heisman at U of Florida and had a decent career in the NFL

825381299[/snapback]

True, he was the star of the State Champion Science Hill baseball team that had two future major leaguers Ernie Bowman and Joe McClain. He played 10 seasons in the NFL.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What ever happened to Davis?

825392757[/snapback]

Played for the Eagles in 1971, his brother (or cousin) David played for the Packers in 1971-1972, the Steelers in 1973 and the saints in 1974. Tim George who played on the same Alcoa team played for the Bengals in 1973 and the Browns in 1974. Must have been an amazing team! Just think if Steelers great Lynn Swann's family had not moved to California, he would have been on that team too!

At Unaka:

Legendary coach Lynn Goddard said that Henry Wayne Ensor (Acie's dad) was the best football player he ever coached; and that includes so many great ones (and even a few All-Americans) at Elizabethton High School. That's quite a salute to Henry Wayne.

Eddie Holly was the best baseball player I ever saw. His numbers are staggering, not to mention his five seasons with the White Sox.

And for what it's worth: John Hyatt coached him in basketball and said that not only was he the best player (baseball and basketball) he ever coached, but the best player "By Far." The fact that he shut out Science Hill in tournament play while pitching for little Unaka speaks volumes.

Malcolm Kress pitched with and graduated a year earlier than Holly. Kress was also an outstanding pitcher.

Aaron Dugger - now at Lees MaCrae - was a phenomenal two sport athlete as well.

Rusty Chambers made All-State in both sports.

I'm sure Acie can recall several more from Unaka, and from other schools to include all classifications and the privates, that none of us have seen play.

*It's only fair to point out that when Holly and Kress played baseball the road to the state title was lined with Science Hill, Dobbyns Bennett, The Morristown schools, Unicoi County, Greeneville High School etc. And this, just to advance beyond the Disttict and Region.* :P That's why so many - statewide - would never have heard of them. I'm sure several other small schools had great players during the earlier eras who none of us are aware of.

Edited by krichunaka

Old, Old school.  From Meigs County best baseball player Ronnie Campbell.  Played for Cubs in early sixties.  Football, Gary Moore, who played at UT in late 70s.  Pretty sure Steve Sloan is from Bradley Co. You were prob thinking of Steve Spurrier from Science Hill.

825381135[/snapback]

Those two were great, but the best double sport athletes we have ever had, were Floss Wilson in the early 80's I think he was all-state in 3 sports I think and won mr. backetball. Also in the mid 90's Bryan Peck he was a senior on the 95 state champ runner up football team and is now playing minor league ball for the Rockies.

Edited by jwinston