Play Off Tie breaker for Middle School

honeysuckle38

One of the best middle school football teams has been knocked out of playing with a better record than the third placed team Midway Middle isn't going to be able to play. Midway Middle has a 5 and 3 record while CAK has a 5 and 2 record and Coalfield Middle has a 4 and 3 record. How does having more games than the other two you are tied with hurt you when you are in a three way tie for second place. Midway beat CAK, CAK beat Coalfield and Coalfield beat Midway after Midway's running back was tossed out in the Oliver Springs game the week before the Coalfield game. If the other two teams only have seven games then our last game should not count, thus leaving us tied with CAK, who we beat head to head. I do not believe this is what should have happened. Loosing out because you have more games is not fair and the people in Jacksboro should be told this.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A. There is only one person in Jacksboro, not people.

B. He doesn't make the tie breaker rules.

C. They are the same rules set by the TSSAA for high schools.

D. "You can't please all the people all the time", and overall record is the next criteria on the list of tie breakers, your team should be sure to play a full schedule next year.

OK yes everything was finally explained loooong after the fact when it was too late to do anything about it. Midways coach did call Jacksboro right after the Coalfield loss and he was told then that the teams with the highest winning percentages would be in the playoffs should a three way tie occur. He was not told the rest of the tiebreaker scenario and he was not told that the cancelled games that CAK and Coalfield had would be counted as wins for them. Thus the confusion that occured for an entire week after the last games Thursday night.

What the TSSAA and especially the TMSAA needs to do is have much better communication so that everyone has a better ideal of what is happening during the course of the season. If you look on the TMSAA webpage on the TSSAA site you will see that Coalfield and CAK aren't even listed as TMSAA members. Whoever runs that part of the site and whoever is over the TMSAA needs to get their stuff in gear and get it right or they'll have another situation like this soon. Many young and impressionable kids, not just at Midway, have had their heart broken and many will have it broken again if the TMSAA doesn't fix their communication errors.

And yes Midways "stud" won't forget. He and the rest of this team will have four more years to right what wrongs have been done to them. And I don't mean Coalfield or CAK. They were innocent bystanders as Mdiway was.

yes possum Midways team did play a full schedule. Coalfield and CAK did not because of a cancelled game after the season started.

825385721[/snapback]

Well, as it turns out, justice is going to be done. Those cancelled games were NOT, I repeat, NOT counted as wins for the other teams, and Midway is now the #2 seed in their region, with CAK #3, and Coalfield out. This came down just this morning, as confirmed by 2 principals of playoff teams in Scott County here. So Midway hosts Huntsville, CAK travels to Fairview.

A CAK asst. coach turned in their record as 6-2 because they counted the Powell game as a forfeit. That game, however, was considered a no contest because Powell was not sanctioned. This wasn't done intentionally by CAK because their AD told me on the phone today that they were just 5-2.

Once all that was straightened out, Midway and CAK had the same number of wins and Coalfield was one behind. Therefore, Midway's head-to-head win over CAK gave them second place then CAK's head-to-head win over Coalfield gave them third.

It took a lot of phone calls, but TMSAA got everything right in the end and that's the important thing.

I do feel sorry for Coalfield though. It had to be hard for someone to tell those boys this afternoon that they weren't going to the playoffs.

A CAK asst. coach turned in their record as 6-2 because they counted the Powell game as a forfeit. That game, however, was considered a no contest because Powell was not sanctioned. This wasn't done intentionally by CAK because their AD told me on the phone today that they were just 5-2.

Once all that was straightened out, Midway and CAK had the same number of wins and Coalfield was one behind. Therefore, Midway's head-to-head win over CAK gave them second place then CAK's head-to-head win over Coalfield gave them third.

It took a lot of phone calls, but TMSAA got everything right in the end and that's the important thing.

I do feel sorry for Coalfield though. It had to be hard for someone to tell those boys this afternoon that they weren't going to the playoffs.

825387839[/snapback]

I agree, it's heartbreaking for the Coalfield kids. They played their hearts out against Robbins to try to get in, and they thought they did even though losing, now this. I wouldn't wanna be the guy to tell them.

But anyways, goose or brian, do you guys have a CAK MS roster I can have? I'll be covering the Fairview CAK game on Thursday, and would like to get actually ahead of the game for once.

Edited by Kendren