Maryville vs. Central

jlay68

FBE--I've always enjoyed your posts, but I think you missed on the one about getting 14-21 points in the 1st quarter on Central. I don't believe Maryville will do that unless CHS does it to themselves with a fumble, some type of turnover, etc. I am glad to see all the Maryville people under-estimating the D for CHS. 47 of the 120 plus points that have been scored on Central were against the JVs/freshman players when the game was over and they were playing the 1st strings from the other school.

2ndly, Central has just as much of a "fast break" offense as Maryville. Central can score very quickly. I know that MHS has an excellent D, and they can slow down almost anyone, but Gaston and Scott just need 1 step and they can go the distance. I think it will be very close with both teams around 30 points each.

Looking forward to getting back to Maryville. They are always great hosts.

BTW, is this one on TV?? We had heard that CSS and Maryville had worked it out.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think you missed on the one about getting 14-21 points in the 1st quarter on Central. I don't believe Maryville will do that unless CHS does it to themselves with a fumble, some type of turnover, etc. I am glad to see all the Maryville people under-estimating the D for CHS. 47 of the 120 plus points that have been scored on Central were against the JVs/freshman players when the game was over and they were playing the 1st strings from the other school".

i will admit maryville has a awsome offense but dont underestimate centrals D-fence

if central can have a good week of practice and if no one gets injured central will be good to go against maryville because maryville is missing a couple of there key playersbut even if maryville wasnt missing any key players then it would still be a good game

Knox Central:24

Maryville:21

Edited by CentralBobcats101

I don't usually do this. I typically get on here and ask the other team's posters to tell me something about the team and then I base my preconceived notions entering the game on what I'm told. But this week is different. This week is central. This week embodies all that is sacred and special about high school football in East Tennessee.

And so, in honor of that, I've done a little homework. Here's what I've come up with:

Scoring

(Several different ways to same the same thing)

Central has scored 305 points this season. Maryville has scored 333.

Advantage Maryville by 27 points. The Rebels are averaging 3.5 more points per game than the Cats.

Maryville has an average margin of victory of 33 points as compared to an average margin of victory of 22 points for Central.

Advantage to Maryville by 11 points per game.

Central has outscored its opponents by a total of 176 points this season. Maryville has outscore its opponents by a total of 264 points.

Advantage to Maryville by 88 points or 12.5 touchdowns.

Points Allowed

Central has given up 129 points this season. Maryville has given up 69 points. Advantage Maryville by 60 points. The Rebels on average give up 8 fewer points per game than do the Cats.

(And keep in mind that both teams -neither just MHS NOR just CHS- have played their reserves for significant amounts of time in the second half of ballgames when the outcome is largely decided)

Head to Head

(Again, numerous ways to same the same thing)

These teams have faced four common opponents this season. Each team is 4-0 against these opponents.

In these four wins, CHS has scored a total of 164 points while MHS has scored a total of 177 points.

Advantage MHS by a touchdown and two field goals.

In these four wins, CHS has given up 75 points on defense. MHS gave up only 41 points to those same opponents.

Advantage Maryville by 34 points or five touchdowns less one extra point.

Central is giving up just under 19 points per game in these four matchups while Maryville is giving up just over 10.

Advantage Maryville by 3 field goals.

MHS won these games by an average of 34 points per game as opposed to an average margin of victory of 22 points per game by CHS.

Advantage Maryville by a touchdown, field goal and safety per game (12 points).

Schedules

The combined record of Centrals opponents this season is 25-41.

The combined record of Maryville's opponents this season is 29-36.

Advantage Maryville.

Having said all of that, I'm still interested to hear what the Central fans think.

Can your defense slow down the Rebel attack?

Can your offense exploit Rebel weaknesses on defense? We've struggled some this year against mobile quarterbacks and against short passing schemes.

It appears to me that the Rebels have been more prolific on offense, more proficient on defense and have been such against higher quality opponents.

Your thoughts?

Raider, you wouldn't pick the Rebels, would you?!! :angry::lol:

Well boys, here we are. It's by far the biggest weekend of football on the schedule. Many have said that if Central wins, it's close. Many have also said if Maryville wins, it's not close. I agree with those assessments.

The Rebels are known for putting 21+ on good teams in the first half. Central's offense is good, but I think Zack runnin around in the backfield losing 20 yards a snap will be their undoing, much like it was in years past. You can't deny that has hurt you against Maryville for 2 years straight cat fans.

Maryville's defense is the difference here gentlemen. Even with our obvious injuries, we played well enough to hold Hootie to just one big run at West. Hootie and Duck are as good as we'll see at running back....period.

Maryville's offense speaks for itself. We managed to take 2 qtrs off at West and still pound them. We beat a great Alcoa team to death. We survived Powell's behemoths and crushed them as well. Central has a lot ot be concerned about. It's Maryville's game to win or lose.

Rebels 45 thumb

Central 21 :huh:

all the info shows this game to be a shootout. I think MHS is better on the offense side but what worries me is the fact that with out Lawhon the LB's have not covered a sole yet. West droped alot of passes Friday night in the seam and MHS LB's missed coverage. It's a worry that Clement, Jenkings, Garner and Co. will have to make alot of tackles 7 to 12 yards down the field. Those quick passeswill reduce the amount of pressure the front line will be able to get on Helton. MHS does not have anybody with the speed to ccover the WR of CHS. I like MHS in a real close one but team speed will do them in in the playoffs down the road!

I expect Central to pick up on the underneath pass weaknesses we're showcasing lately. I also expect us to work on that a lot this week in practice. As far as covering their "speedy" wideouts goes, we have seen some pretty darn good receivers this year against Alcoa and Powell and many of our kids played against many of these same bobcats last year. We won't get burned but maybe once.

I look for Gaston to get at least one big run. RB's like him are gonna get their yards. He'll manage between 80-100 yards probably. Central will also get one big pass play. That won't be enough compared to the offense Maryville will put up. If our defense controls the passes around the flats and behind the LB's we roll!! thumb

T Scott is by far the best WR Maryville will see this year. He has great leaping ability, extremely fast, extremely quick, great hands, and a heady player. His stock went way up after the camp he attended this summer. Scott was named the best player at the Furman Camp.

He is the one that turns those 5 yard pass plays from Helton into 45 yard TD runs, in traffic.