Maryville vs. Central

jlay68

Yeah, apparently missed a lot of this coacht action last night too.

Please tell me why anyone would want to get on here and compare their QB to our QB. I don't get it. That's like saying "hey, yeah my house just burned down but while sifting through the rubble I found a quarter....hooray!" You nailed it. Helton's stats in those categories are better. And that's okay, because at MHS we don't want our QB to run the ball...we want him to run the offense. We've got 2 runningbacks that get a lot of carries and a lot of yards at MHS. And their rushing yards are not attributed to Cade's total offense...they actually limit it.

And it's simply because MHS does have such a balanced attack that it takes someone with Cade's ability to manage it all. I doubt there are very many high school quarterbacks that could run an offense as complex as Maryville's as well as Cade does.

So those stats may be the silver lining to your clouds, but look at the win loss record and tell me how much they really matter.

Having said all that, I do not think Friday will be a blowout. But I also don't think that it will be as close as some of the recent games between these two. In any event I cannot freaking wait and I hope that it doesn't rain (not for the players but because I don't like standing in the rain).

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In ref to your stats Thompson rarely runs the football. He rarely needs to as

This is what I've been saying about Zack Helton for 3 years now. He is a frustrated WR and I'm pretty sure Daddy is trying to get him killed, allowing him to run all over the backfield all game. They've bet the whole farm on Zack and so far they've lost the big one every time.

dmoyers,

the zachster is just a kid and his father does not like being slung around in mud on this web site. if your gonna say something bad about either of them don't use their names for example instead of zach say " the all state quarterback at central". he is not running for his life , its part of his game allways has been. he might be running for his life friday against maryville university, but the line sure looked good against halls.

Who cares about those stats and who does what. The Rebels will come together like the always do and shut down Helton with about 7 or 8 sacks, and while he's back there scrambling around Thompson will sit in the pocket and pick apart Central's defense. Then they shove it down Centrals throat with Tallent and Byner.

Another reason to forget about that stats is how many plays has Thompson played in the 2nd half all year? If Quarles was the type of coach to run up the score then Cade's numbers would be much higher than Helton's.

Helton will rip apart the Rebel's people. Face it...you have not seen a QB of this kids caliber all season and he will make you look like a mediocre Jr. Pro team.

I hope he does a little dance at mid field after the game while you are crying about the weather, or the field condition or a blown call or some other lame excuse for why you got beat !!!!

dmoyers,

the zachster is just a kid and his father does not like being slung around in mud on this web site. if your gonna say something bad about either of them don't use their names for example instead of zach say " the all state quarterback at central". he is not running for his life , its part of his game allways has been. he might be running for his life friday against maryville university, but the line sure looked good against halls.

825392558[/snapback]

Nothing personal JP but....

1. I wouldn't rip on a kid on here. Ever. Might argue with someone. Might point out weaknesses in someone's game. But I wouldn't rip on a kid and I don't think that Moyers was trying to do that. Everything that he said was a pointed criticism of the system being run at Central...it was not personal.

2. Saying the QB from Central instead of the kid's name changes NOTHING, so what's the point?

3. Last, I don't really care what the coach thinks about being talked about on here. He's an adult in a high profile position. He knew what he was getting into when he took the job and if he doesn't like the scrutiny then he can either tuck tail and go away or just ignore it. This is a public forum in which free speech does not constrain the vocalization of opinions. He doesn't have to read this.

Face it...you have not seen a  QB of this kids caliber all season

825392596[/snapback]

You're right about that. I think he's a really good player. He reminds me a lot of Cait McMahan's brother who played QB at WB a couple of years ago, but with a better arm.

Powell's only sustained drive against MHS this season came when they started running their quarterback. I don't think he was as fast or as talented as Helton and yet he had some success against the Rebels.

I'm confident that we've worked on that in practice since then, but it is still of obvious concern.

ronnie,

That's funny stuff. Because some guy at Halls has the same knowledge that I do concerning maryville's smoke & mirror offense and happens to be a wrestling fan, you assume I'm him? I know several idiots in and around Knoxville, but I don't assume that you are one of them. Your logic is funny. BTW, I'll come down Friday and meet you fence leaners and explain a thing or two to you.

Thanks Papa. I was out attending to something and wasn't here to defend myself. It was a legit concern, not a criticism. I sometimes think his Dad is trying to live thru him, as I have seen many fathers in Helton's position try to do that. No diss was intended.

Which one of you dip wads said we've never seen a QB of Zach's caliber? H*ll, we've watched his scitterin around back and forth for 3 YEARS now!! I guess we were asleep and missed the past few games.

I'll put Joey Feigler at Alcoa up against him any day, to go outside the Rebs/cats argrument for a sec. He's more disciplined, he has a better system around him, no one's trying to get him killed and his line protects him. I'll take the kid at Powell and burn your butt all nite with his abilities. I'll take the kid at Melrose and beat you senseless with him. I'll take McCallie's QB and....oh nevermind, that's been done. thumb

Everyone please ignore goat boy. He is a stirrer of sh@t and needs to go home and feed the barn animals... :D;)

ronnie,

That's funny stuff.  Because some guy at Halls has the same knowledge that I do concerning maryville's smoke & mirror offense and happens to be a wrestling fan, you assume I'm him?  I know several idiots in and around Knoxville, but I don't assume that you are one of them.  Your logic is funny.  BTW, I'll come down Friday and meet you fence leaners and explain a thing or two to you.

825392648[/snapback]

OOHHHH, please do. :D

You're right about that. I think he's a really good player. He reminds me a lot of Cait McMahan's brother who played QB at WB a couple of years ago, but with a better arm.

Powell's only sustained drive against MHS this season came when they started running their quarterback. I don't think he was as fast or as talented as Helton and yet he had some success against the Rebels.

I'm confident that we've worked on that in practice since then, but it is still of obvious concern.

825392629[/snapback]

Has the Helton kid grown any? I remember him being a fairly short QB the past couple of years.

He's what a lot of ET teams like in a QB. Elusive, short, speedy, decent arm, pretty good leader. Most of those style offenses don't win championships though. He's more like a second RB with an arm than a QB. Don't cry Central fans, I'm just telling it like I see it.

Zach is gonna win his share of games on talent, not skill persay. It seems like I'm picking, but what has been the determing factor in the last 3 ballgames? Mostly who commited the fewest mistakes and who played the best fundemantal football. Oh, and it helps to have a kicker that doesn't push chip shots in regulation.