Plays no one has ever seen

bdog3741

There all kinds of quirky rules in football. Have you ever seen something and wondered "what in the world?"

Example: Free Kick. = Team receiving a punt , unon a fair catch can request to the officials a free kick. At this point they bring out the kickoff team to the point of the catch place the football on the kickoff tee and kick it through the uprights. If good reuslts in 3 points.

This play would be used late in a half or game when you have an opponent backed up deep in their territory and are down by 3 or less. Or really any time you want to use it i guess...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There all kinds of quirky rules in football. Have you ever seen something and wondered "what in the world?"

Example: Free Kick. = Team receiving a punt , unon a fair catch can request to the officials a free kick. At this point they bring out the kickoff team to the point of the catch place the football on the kickoff tee and kick it through the uprights. If good reuslts in 3 points.

This play would be used late in a half or game when you have an opponent backed up deep in their territory and are down by 3 or less. Or really any time you want to use it i guess...

If anyone knows of any rules that are never done such as this one chime in.

Who knows maybe you just might see one by the end of this season.

i know that when running a fumble-roosky type play, where the quater back hands it off to a lineman (gaurd or tackle), the lineman must not go directly in front of the qb and take the hand off, they must reverse out and take the hand off behind the qb. kinda dumb seems like any way they wanna hand it would be fine but thats how that works. but if the qb puts the ball down the lineman doesnt have to reverse out they can just grab it and go.

What about the drop kick? I think it's legal in the NFL but I'm not sure about High School, a lot of guys claim they're good at it, but I've never seen it done.

825388442[/snapback]

I'v seen a few drop kicks in games. ones i'v seen didn't make it though the uprights. i assume its legal but with some of the ref's i've seen before i wouldn't doubt it if its not legal.

What about the drop kick? I think it's legal in the NFL but I'm not sure about High School, a lot of guys claim they're good at it, but I've never seen it done.

825388442[/snapback]

They did it pretty good in the Longest Yard, right before the best pickup of a linebacker blitz ever.

I unfortunately have never seen a free kick myself. Was told that Ditka with the Bears in the 80's used it once in the NFL. But like many of you guys i wonder how many coaches know of this rule. Seems like it could come in handy atleast 1 once every couple of years.

Did see a wrong tee once. Team lined up for about a 40 yard fieldgoal. Holder jumped up and started yelling that he had the kickoff tee and turned to run towards the bench to get another (backward from LOS) about half of the other team actually took a knee and unsnaped their helments. The snapper snapped the ball to the kicker who then threw it to the holder. Went for a 40 yard TD. Was the craziest thing I ever saw.

There all kinds of quirky rules in football.  Have you ever seen something and wondered  "what in the world?" 

Example:  Free Kick.  = Team receiving a punt , unon a fair catch can request to the officials a free kick.  At this point they bring out the kickoff team to the point of the catch place the football on the kickoff tee and kick it through the uprights.  If good reuslts in 3 points.

This play would be used late in a half or game when you have an opponent backed up deep in their territory and are down by 3 or less.  Or really any time you want to use it i guess...

825388325[/snapback]

If you have a great kicker who can kick very far without pressure it's a good little thing to keep in your back pocket! You have to pin people deep in their own endzone to make it workout right and you have to tell the referee before the kick if I'm not mistaken and make sure your returner calls for a fair catch. Then your kicker goes out and gets one chance to kick it through without any pressure!