MBA vs. Riverdale

stephenzca

With Riverdale being public and MBA a private school, wouldnt that be a disadvantage to a GREAT football program like Riverdale when you play MBA, who obviously recruits? They're allowed to openly recruit so that gives them first hand opportunities to see who the best kids are and possibly get them to transfer...Just an opionion...Couldnt that be an option as to why they dont play year in and out?

With all of the tradition both schools have, I think the rivalry would keep it close regardless of how loaded each team is.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tnball,

I am in no way associated with MBA or any of their players but I would like to ask you a few questions.

1. Do you really think that a Riverdale player would make the drive to Nashville everyday to attend MBA?

2. What % of the players at Riverdale do you think would have good enough grades and could score high enough on the ISEE Test to be accepted to MBA?

3. How many of Riverdales players could make passing grades in all Advanced Placement classes (this is equal to MBA's regular classes) and do 4 hours of homework everynight after football practice?

In short MBA has very difficult academics, just look at the number of National Merit Finalist they have each year.

Edited by cbg

Name one player that MBA has ever recruited....you cant. Academics are way to important to start making exceptions for athletes. Look at this thread, unless there some outstanding athletes in the greater West End area, your arguement is flawed.

Geographic Info

And btw, this arguement has nothing to do with this season, its I know for a fact MBA has offered, why won't they step up like the DB's, Germantown's, Oakland's, Lincoln County's and Pearl Cohn's of the world.

Edited by Redtwin

Guest The_Siegel_Senior

Well who knows for a fact if Rankin recruits?? I mean just because he was at the closing of the Thomas's house does not mean he is doing anything out of the rules...... <_< Ive always wanted to know why they wont play each other and I dont think its a fear by either team because they both have very talented teams....so who knows why the wont play, maybe it is respect like earlier stated...

Tnball,

I am in no way associated with MBA or any of their players but I would like to ask you a few questions.

1.  Do you really think that a Riverdale player would make the drive to Nashville everyday to attend MBA

2.  What % of the players at Riverdale do you think would have good enough grades and could score high enough on the ISEE Test to be accepted to MBA

3.  How many of Riverdales players could make passing grades in all Advanced Placement classes (this is equal to MBA's regular classes) and do 4 hours of homework everynight after football practice?

In short MBA has very difficult academics, just look at the number of National Merit Finalist they have each year.

825392651[/snapback]

This guy hit the nail on the head. The private schools, especially in D-II 3A (MUS, MBA, BA) are too academically challenging to successfully recruit players. They all bomb out after less than a semester. That fact makes it more likely that an easy school like Riverdale could "stumble upon" (illegally perhaps) good players than that a private school could successfully recruit that player (excepting Briarcrest [they recruit and have easy academics, giving them an advantage, although they still keep losing]), b/c private schools have stringent academic requirements. The 'private schools recruit' argument just doesn't hold up very well.

We all know that the truth of this matter is that Coach Rankin will not accept a regular season game against MBA. Whatever the reason is I can't imagine it being very good. I cannot conceive any possible reason for why he wouldn't want to play MBA or BA, MUS, CBHS as well. I have no doubt that Riverdale has better athletes than MBA every year but I'd put any MBA team up against Riverdale just because of the coaching and discipline. These two things can never be matched by a Riverdale team.

You right Brentwood Academy has used up a lot of athletes that could not get into a d1 college becasue of grades.

When B.A. las t won an unsplit chamionship----------------------------------------------

their QB Lance Phillips was from Lavergne and he rode over there everyday with Miki Allen from Murfreesboro who later played at UT so I guess your no one would drive argument is shot.

As for all those smart MBA students, well many of you have been blessed beyond anyones wildest dreams with wealth and 2 parent college educated homes. I don't argue your point one bit. But just so you know there is a whole world out here some with single or virtually no parents and some like Smyrna are just working class towns with folks working hard and doing the best they can. Does Riverdale or Smyrna have kids that couldn't make it at MBA ------sure but switch circumstances and most of the kids at MBA wouldn't either.

I support Smyrna and have a son that could make the grades at MBA and I could afford to send him, but he wouldn't leave his life long friends to play for MBA iF it was across the street.

In the end living,playing and befriending a true cross section of the world is a value and experience that is priceless.

As for your anticipated response I am aware MBA gives minority/poverty scholarships and that is noble but we all know the numbers are basically to make everyone feel good about themselves and if it helps the team that is great to.

Don't even try to pretend MBA has never had or doesn't have athletes on financial aid becasue you know it is not true and I know it is not true. I could name 3 right now but I won't.

With Riverdale being public and MBA a private school, wouldnt that be a disadvantage to a GREAT football program like Riverdale when you play MBA, who obviously recruits? They're allowed to openly recruit so that gives them first hand opportunities to see who the best kids are and possibly get them to transfer...Just an opionion...Couldnt that be an option as to why they dont play year in and out?

With all of the tradition both schools have, I think the rivalry would keep it close regardless of how loaded each team is.

825392600[/snapback]

Ok hold on just for a second. I attended the MBA/Riverdale scrimmage this summer. Didnt really have any vested interest but I wanted to see the some good high school football. If MBA obviously recruits like you say they do, then that recruiting coordinator isnt doing his job. Just look at the athletes that Riverdale has compared to MBA. Its not even close from a pure athletic stand point. To say that Riverdale only has kids in their school zone is just incorrect. Where was Eric Locke from again? Both teams are good programs because they have great traditions and will continue to have great teams in the future. Will they ever play? Never say never.

My class went 42-2 in four years with 3 rings and 2 national rankings. We had a total of 3 out of ninety players on the team on financial aid and only 1 of those was a full time starter. Compare that to the number of students on the debate team, in the art department, or music and the percentage is a lot higher. No one has ever said that MBA doesn't have athletes on finacial aid, but the aid isn't given to them due to their atheletic ability, it is given based on need. Financial aid is handled independantly through an organization in New Jersey. MBA has zero input on who is apporved and who is not. MBA does, however, have input on who is admitted to the school, and no one is admitted who doesn't make the grades. I will not defend BA. Those teams back in the day had some very suspicious things surrounding them, but to lump MBA with those circumstances is completely off base. BTW 82Cat, I commend your son for wanting to stay close to his friends. Friendship and loyalty are two wonderful things and should be held high above high school football. I just use the geographic arguement to combat recruiting exaggerations.

Edited by Redtwin