5A Move & New High School

Rebel Nation

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a big difference between the Maryville City and Blount County overcrowding problems. Maryville City is currently not annexing any new residential areas where those kids would be zoned into Maryville City schools. I think the last subdivision was the new one on Carpenters Grade and Raulston Road. Some people bought homes in the county, thinking they would be annexed into the city school systems, but they have been s%#t out of luck.

I don't think the population is going to get that out of control where Maryville City will need a new high school, maybe just some expansion like before. Blount County schools on the other hand are in trouble population-wise. They recently denied a residential planning initiative for a community in the county because of the problem of overcrowding in the schools. Judging by the last Blount County council meeting, there is going to be a new high school in the Blount County system (as there should be) or some of these parents are going to riot! There may be your new 3A school. Just have to wait for the county officials to get off their behinds and put a plan into action.

Maryville I think is designed for more the 1500 because already there are more than that many who go there. These are just rumors but I've heard in our school that Maryville was just short of being a 5A school this year, but even if we were we would keep the same schedule because the schedules are made a few years in advance. Also I have heard talk in the school that the incoming freshman class would more than likely move Maryville to a 5A next year. these are just rumors but it wouldnt matter who we played Maryville will destroy any team they face.

According to the info on the TSSAA site regarding reclassification for 2005, Maryville enrollment is listed as 1,351.  This is tied with Humboldt for the largest school in 4A.  Rather strange that this is a higher number than the first four schools listed in 5A.

825401809[/snapback]

That's because those four schools were natural 4A schools that chose to play up to remain with the rest of county Williamson (in the case of Independence and Ravenwood) or with their traditional foes (for the two in Memphis).

Maryville I think is designed for more the 1500 because already there are more than that many who go there.  These are just rumors but I've heard in our school that Maryville was just short of being a 5A school this year, but even if we were we would keep the same schedule because the schedules are made a few years in advance.  Also I have heard talk in the school that the incoming freshman class would more than likely move Maryville to a 5A next year.  these are just rumors but it wouldnt matter who we played Maryville will destroy any team they face.

825401936[/snapback]

We're around 13 1/2 somedude, not 1500. We could have easily moved up this year though. I'm not calling for that. I'd like to see us schedule more and more 5A teams and eazse into the move up. Of course, the move involves more than football...there's a broader picture here us football fans forget sometimes.

Dmoyers1, I can tell you there will be a major uproar if there is ever a second high school proposed in the Maryville City School System. People want one high school period. I have been told the high school may eventually have seperate wings for all 4 grades. Basically, 4 small schools located on the same campus. I think the seniors already have their own seperate wing.

No doubt we will be 5A very soon. I thought it would happen during this re-classification period.

Go Rebs.

825400798[/snapback]

I agree STARS. Building another High School in Maryville would stink.

Maryville, a new high school will be inevitable at some point in the not too distant future. Look at Rutherford and Williamson Counties as an example of population increases. They both had long-time schools that just got too big-and with new people moving in from other areas, they will clammer for more schools.

If you are building elementary schools at a fast rate, then the numbers will catch up to you. Those people will care less about Maryville High School-they will want there children in a school where they can grow and not be crowded.

Dickson County is another example-longtime single high school system that just got too big.

Also, another factor to consider-The TEA is dead set against "megaschools." The Antioch area (with Antioch the largest high school in the state) is getting extreme pressure to build another high school. Metro Nashville just needs to find the money.

Maryville, a new high school will be inevitable at some point in the not too distant future.  Look at Rutherford and Williamson Counties as an example of population increases.  They both had long-time schools that just got too big-and with new people moving in from other areas, they will clammer for more schools.

If you are building elementary schools at a fast rate, then the numbers will catch up to you.  Those people will care less about Maryville High School-they will want there children in a school where they can grow and not be crowded.

Dickson County is another example-longtime single high school system that just got too big.

Also, another factor to consider-The TEA is dead set against "megaschools."  The Antioch area (with Antioch the largest high school in the state) is getting extreme pressure to build another high school.  Metro Nashville just needs to find the money.

825404043[/snapback]

Building a new high school in Mairvul may eventually happen, but not in the foreseeable future. Any school board member who proposes a new high school will be a former school board member at the next election. One high school has a unifying effect, which is good imo.

We could go a lot of ways in the stadium expansion. We definately need more seating. Greg Judkins (Mairvul P.A. announcer) is always telling everyone to sit and not stand at the rail. Only problem is, there is nowhere to sit.

dmoyers1 we have never played White House. However, White House has played one Blount County team. Walland defeated White House in the single A championship game back in '75.

Go Rebs.

Guest Rebelnation

Thanks for setting me straight Stars. Who am I thinking of? Something that begins with White...

Hey, what the heck is up with telling us to keep our ticket stub for discounts at Up the Creek? They don't let us keep the darn stubs!! Oh, when you get a chance, help Judkins leatrn how to say mur-vle. He's the only person in the city that says MARE-EE-VILLE.

I'm not advocating a new High School guys...go back and read. I'm as backwards and traditionalist as they come. If we had to put up walls around the city so no more yankees could move in, I'd be tickled. It's gonna happen though.

Someone was right earlier (jlay?). There will probably be a 3A county school before a new city high school. Something I had not thought of. Maryville city will continue to grow, will eventually annex more land, grow more and eventuall need a 2nd school. Am I happy about that, no!! We're a vicitim of our own success sometimes.