West Tennessee Announcers..

BrockRocks

Does your radio have the same speakers mine has?  Frank Underwood is the worst sports personality (I dare not call him an announcer) I have ever heard.  He does not even have a professional voice.  I'm a tough grader, I'll admit that, but that's because I can, and do better on a regular basis.

If I didn't know the radio business, I wouldn't say a word, but I guess it goes to prove the old saying true about the radiowaves, "Mediocrity is tolerated, but lateness is not."  Maybe if someone who is talented were to be on time, the double negatives on the West Tennessee Scoreboard Show might decrease by 10 fold.

825402449[/snapback]

I take it you are or have been involved with the radio business. When & what station? Have you called games before? If you don't want to answer the questions, that's fine with me. I'm just wondering. By your post (quoted here) it seems that you have some knowledge of the business. I'm not sure I understand the "lateness" statement as it pertains to the scoreboard show. I would like some clarification on that issue, if you don't mind.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it you are or have been involved with the radio business.  When & what station?  Have you called games before?  If you don't want to answer the questions, that's fine with me.  I'm just wondering.  By your post (quoted here) it seems that you have some knowledge of the business.  I'm not sure I understand the "lateness" statement as it pertains to the scoreboard show.  I would like some clarification on that issue, if you don't mind.

825403081[/snapback]

To explain the cliche, mediocrity is tolerated if the person gets the job done. However, lateness is never tolerated no matter how good the talent is.

Well, I'm not gonna say anything bad about any of these guys b/c I know most of them. .... But, I grew up listening to John Ward in the fall and winter and Jack Buck in the summer. My biggest problem as a fan listening to a game -- and this is not the fault of the announcers but just my own personal problem -- is that I want everyone of those guys to sound like Ward or Buck. Now, had those two radio giants not been around and all I had as a kid were Bill (Mush-mouth) Anderson and Mike (Pass Another Cold, Frosty Bud) Shannon, then anyone would sound great by comparison. :lol:

Well, I'm not gonna say anything bad about any of these guys b/c I know most of them. .... But, I grew up listening to John Ward in the fall and winter and Jack Buck in the summer. My biggest problem as a fan listening to a game -- and this is not the fault of the announcers but just my own personal problem -- is that I want everyone of those guys to sound like Ward or Buck. Now, had those two radio giants not been around and all I had as a kid were Bill (Mush-mouth) Anderson and Mike (Pass Another Cold, Frosty Bud) Shannon, then anyone would sound great by comparison. :lol:

825403231[/snapback]

An excellent, and I believe a fair observation my friend. Thanks for not giving us grades by the way!

Brock hate you left Sam McElroy of of the list, maybe becausehe is not full time. I think he and Robin are one heck of a team. Robin is OK by himself and Sam also does an admirable job alone also. Together A- .

Mccully was the best and throw in a little Heman A.

PS feel sorry for Robin this winter, Milan will be pitiful! We finally see what kind of team Shepard can build for "himself"

I am familiar with the broadcasts of many of the people critiqued in this post. I have to say I have criticized Mr. Tinkle's performances before, but he certainly means well.

But as a graduate of South Fulton, I will say that Barker and Francis' coverage of the 2000 state basketball tournament was outstanding and unforgettable. Thanks.

TheBoredGuy,

What station should I tune to to check out the announcer from Chester Co. this weekend?? :lol:

For a change of direction here, Kent Jones/Larry Logan at Huntingdon do a really good job and there is a new announcer--Larry Joe Smith-- at McKenzie on 104.7 that does a great job. There are a lot that I haven't heard but, these are good.

I am familiar with the broadcasts of many of the people critiqued in this post.  I have to say I have criticized Mr. Tinkle's performances before, but he certainly means well. 

But as a graduate of South Fulton, I will say that Barker and Francis' coverage of the 2000 state basketball tournament was outstanding and unforgettable.  Thanks.

825403550[/snapback]

Thanks...that was a great tournament with some great memories. Trey Pearson's coming out party so to speak.

To explain the cliche, mediocrity is tolerated if the person gets the job done.  However, lateness is never tolerated no matter how good the talent is.

825403111[/snapback]

I understand the mediocrity part and I agree that lateness is never tolerated, but, I'm trying to figure out what "lateness" has to do with the performance of the people you mentioned.