$$$$$ Price To Wrestle $$$&#0

rigger101

I don't talk on this much, but I will on this topic. In the past 5 years our kids have paid $200.00. This was voted on by our Booster Club, which consists of all our parents. The reason for this fee, was so everyone had to contribute SOMETHING. There were problems with everyone doing their share in regards to helping out in fundraisers and everything else intended to help out the team, so they figured they would get them to contribute something and this was the result. Understand that this was implimented by the parents. Another thing to consider is that in the Hamilton County School System (Chattanooga), they pay for absolutly NOTHING! The only thing they cover is Coaching supplements and they removed Assistant supplements this year. Not only do they pay for nothing they have added a (sur-charge) of a $1.00, that is added to the cost of entrance to all Matches and is to be sent to them from each school. Remember also that no school gives anything to support any sport either, all sports are solely self supportive. This is just a way of life here in the Chattanooga area and NO this in no way qualifies us for DII.

*Yes, I do know where the name (Soddy Daisy) came from and Yes, I do know what it means.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats insane. No kid should have to pay to wrestle. Sounds like your booster club needs to do a golf tournament or something. What happens when a kid doesnt have the $$ to compete? Do you say tough luck, go play soccer? I guess if you have to start a fundraiser then do it. You should not be charging your wrestlers to participate.

CIA,

Of course, everyone can't afford to pay. I teach in Memphis City Schools and have inner city kids that can't pay for lunch, much less wrestling. I give mine a choice. They can pay the fee (in payments if needed) or they can help me sell our entertainment books, candy, etc to raise their share of the money. When we go out of town, our fee also helps cover these kids that can't afford it. To everyone's knowledge, everyone pays the same for the trip.

I've been the Wrestling Booster club president at my school for 3 years and we average spending between $7,500 to $8,000 dollars a year. With the small amount of wrestlers on an average team, raising that kind of money is very tough! As we all know not all parents get involved with fund raising for one reason or another.(No time, not interested, ect.) It is always the same few who pitch in! So asking $200 a wrestler is just a drop in the bucket! To be honest that barely covers a third of what you need. At our school it is my understanding the boys baseball team has a fee of $750 per player. A parent can simply pay the fee or must help with fund raisers until they raise this amount for their child. Plain and simple all the money goes to the kids one way or another, ie. travel expenses, Hotels, equipment, banquets and awards, and other misc. stuff. I just wish everyone would stop and think about what the money is for and where it's going before they jump in and say it's wrong! We're all volunteers trying to help the kids and the programs flourish! Sorry for my banter, just another busy parent who doesn't appreciate the uneducated critisizer. Any help to any program is greatly appreciated! So if a child knocks at your door at least listen to him and think about what it was like when you were a kid! Thank you! thumb

Well CIA,

So you think that is insane huh? What background with fundraising for public school athletics do you draw your insite from? Golf Tournament? What a great idea, we just finished ours last weekend, doesnt even make a dent on what it takes to make a program work. Lets see, Wrestling Mats that are $6000.00 each just to start with. By the way, this is something our PARENTS initiated and do you actually think a kid would be turned away if they couldnt afford it? Get real! Where did you Wrestle?

I think Coach Henry is right most people have no idea what it takes to run a wrestling program. From what it sounds like the teams in Chattanooga have it rough because of the lack of help from their school system. I would like to ask other coaches what kind of fundraisers do you guys attempt and which ones have the best success. I think in my situation having tournaments during the year is one way to make some money, but it is not enough to set your budget on just that income.

Edited by Milldo

We do a a JV tournament every year that is a huge draw. It's the equivalent of a state tournament for JV wrestlers.

We also hold a youth county championship that is another huge draw.

One of our biggest fund raisers is what we call a Patron's Walk. It's where every boy and girl (trainers and wrestlerettes) go door to door in local neighborhoods and ask for donations. They also hand out season schedules as they make their rounds. For safety they travel in groups of 3.

You may also want to think of opening your booster club up to youth parents and allow them to join at a reduced level.

RMC, I am interested in learning more about this JV Tournament, not for fundrasing purposes, but rather to maybe attend. I have many young kids this season that I need to get on the mat. If you would please send me some info via e-mail. millerj44@k12tn.net

Thanks,

Coach Miller

Head Wrestling Coach

Tullahoma High School

We have had a H.S. wrestling program at Kingston for the last 6 yrs and have never asked the kids to pay to wrestle. If we did, we wouldn't have ever gotten the program started. 1st & 2nd yr. we practice in the locker room on some old gym mats. 3rd yr. we practiced on an old mat we bought from Halls, in the gym lobby. 4th yr. practice was moved to a hallway in the school bouncing off lockers! Finally, 5th through current we have been practicing in the cafeteria. This year we have bought and paid for our 1st mat at $8000.00.

Simply put, after the 2nd year of participation, our youth program, which was started during the same year as the H.S. team, has funded and supported approximately 80% of everything that my team does or needs. How? Youth AAU tournaments, cookie dough sales, espn magazine subscription sales, t-shirt sales, etc. Our goal as an AAU program is to eventually get approval to add a building onto the H.S. as a dedicated wrestling room. This also will be funded by our youth group. Why? Because they will reep the benefits when they enter H.S.. Our youth program is a feeder program for our future H.S. program, and have bought into the fact that they are only helping their own.

I'm very surprised that a school/program such as Farragut is requiring kids to pay any amount of money to wrestle. What happened to the money for sign sponsorships that hang all over the gym? I believe that if you would build your youth program up, they will help support your h.s. program. If it can work for Kingston, it can work for Farragut and most others. Look at the talent of wrestling at Farragut, compared to Kingston. We feel like we have won a state championship if we can just get a kid to state! My point is that Farragut has had successful teams, and we haven't, yet. But my youth parents are sold on the fact that when their kids get to the h.s. level, they will bring with them the great success that many of them have had at the youth level.

Your youth, as has been said many times, is your future. Talent wise and money wise.

Switch,

Who do you wrestle for? Who pays for the entry fee for your tournaments, your singlets, your warm-ups, hydration test fee, mat cleaner, 1st Aid supplies, tape for securing laces, hotel rooms for out of town tournaments, transportation to these tournaments, scorebooks for coaches, mat tape, practice clothes, awards for your banquet, food for out of town trips, etc? Please show me the way!