Greenbrier vs Marshall Co.

Touchdown4Bobcats

Please don't answer this question mctigersportsfan.  I respect your posts NoDoubt, but this is the type of thing that starts many rumors and it can tarnish the reputation of either Mac McCurry or Tommy Tharp.  Despite losing this game 35-0 and ending the 2004 season with a 6-6 record, I still feel that these two guys are two of the better coaches in the entire midstate area.  Marshall County just seems to self destruct every year in either the second or third round of the playoffs, which is a shame considering the type of athletes that they have in that school.  Is the Giles County head coaching position currently available???  If so, then I'd be willing to bet that one of these two guys will have an opportunity to be the guy to turn around the football program down in Pulaski but that is just my opinion.

825432607[/snapback]

Like I said, I'm not trying to get anything going but just asking an opinion. Both guys are excellent coaches and most of us here were shocked to see Tharp leave Sycamore (although I do understand more now than I did). I just see this as a difficult situation with two guys of this caliber on the same team. My guess would be that if there is something going on that most everyone on that side of the field knows it anyway and it's probably been going on for a while. Like you side.... an opening nearby could be a possibility.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bobcats showed there class friday! They were paddin stats for herndon up 28 in the fourth...if he would of got hurt there season would have been over right then! He is  a good player and will get MR. Football but don't risk the whole season for one individual!

825432854[/snapback]

First string came out in the fourth. Roger was on the sideline at the end of the game. They could have left him in to the very end if they just wanted to pad numbers.

The bobcats showed there class friday! They were paddin stats for herndon up 28 in the fourth...if he would of got hurt there season would have been over right then! He is  a good player and will get MR. Football but don't risk the whole season for one individual!

825432854[/snapback]

This is obviously your opinion but I personally don't agree. Greenbrier was up 3 scores starting the 4th, the starting FB was out with a slight injury, and they knew how quickly MC could score on the big play. Greenbrier was able to get two quick scores in the 4th after MC turnovers. Greenbrier's second offense was running plays with around 8 minutes left in the 4th.

825432854[/snapback]

I don't know if your still a coach or not but if you are you should have seen what was going on in the game. The Cats had already made some subs on the previous defensive stand and Marshall punted the ball into cat teritory. The cats scored in just a few plays. I can remember Marshall County trying to beat us in the past by as many as they could. Our coaching staff is not that way.

If you want to talk about scores and padding stats:

Lets look at the box scores.....

Marshall County 42 -14 Springhill

Marshall County 50 - 19 Montgomery Central 36 in the second half

Marshall County 49 - 14 Giles Co

Marshall County 47 - 0 Fayettee Ware

Why didn't Marshall County call off the dogs on these teams?????????????

you are picking Sour Grapes

Zoro The Turning Point of the Game?????????

Yes the catch?? was a bad call as was the holding??? call earlier in the game on the cats first drive..

The turning point could have been when one of your coaches lost it and called a time out and ran across the field yelling at the ref. He totally lost his composure. I'm not saying he shouldn't have questioned the call it was the manner in which he did. The kids need instructions at that point and time... not to see their coach lose it.

Halftime was the real turning point when the cats made the adjustments needed to win.

oh by the way it was nice to win both halfes of the game this time instead of just the first half... if you don't understand this look back at the previous game thread.

Edited by uawake2

825432854[/snapback]

This has nothing to do with class and everything to do with making sure you win the game. As a matter of fact, I would say leaving Herndon in that long was more a statement of respect towards MC than it was anything else.

I am sure Coach Williams felt that MC could strike quickly on big plays and didn't feel comfortable with only 28 points. Crazier things have happened. So, the prudent thing to do is NOT take any team for granted.....no matter the score.....and no matter how much time is left.

This is THE PLAYOFFS! This isn't the regular season where you get a second chance. And, with this being the playoffs.....why would anyone want to pad their stats. It won't help him with Mr. Football as that has already been decided. It won't really help much with recruiting because that has been pretty much decided for the level he will play at.

Honestly, I think it was more of a case of Marshall Co. can't take not being the big dog anymore. You had your time in the spotlight.....now it is our turn and our guys are trying to make the most of it. Our turn will be over soon and someone else will get to step up and dominate.....that's how high school athletics go.

And, more than anything.....it was your boneheaded head coach who did more harm to your team than any call made by the refs. His complete lack of composure had a MAJOR impact on his players. Did the ref's call make y'all give up about a 30 yard run right after "the catch"? Did it cause you to make a ton of turnovers? No, but the fact your coach and players lost their composure probably did!

It is one thing to stand up for your team......it is something completely different to act the way he did.

If you read the box score the last one came with under 4 minutes in the game. He did not come out of the game until then look at the tape. The turning point in the game was the bogus catch on your sideline. doesn't matter now good luck friday

825432967[/snapback]

Send me a link to this box score. I know this is incorrect. I'll confirm on my tape later today and if I'm wrong I'll be the first to say it. I believe it was 7:42 left in the 4th when the 2nd group went in. Again, not that it matters.

And as far as a turning point....... the bogus catch gave GB a first down at the 39. We still had 40 yards to go to score. All you had to do was stop the Cats from moving almost half of the field. The next play, Greenbrier went to a different offensive scheme and started running the ball right straight up the middle and MC never stopped it the rest of the night. The "turning point" was due to the change in the play calling. Not one bad call 40 yards from the goal. Give your team a little more credit than that. MC is too good of a team to let one play be the deciding factor.

This has nothing to do with class and everything to do with making sure you win the game. As a matter of fact, I would say leaving Herndon in that long was more a statement of respect towards MC than it was anything else.

I am sure Coach Williams felt that MC could strike quickly on big plays and didn't feel comfortable with only 28 points. Crazier things have happened. So, the prudent thing to do is NOT take any team for granted.....no matter the score.....and no matter how much time is left.

This is THE PLAYOFFS! This isn't the regular season where you get a second chance. And, with this being the playoffs.....why would anyone want to pad their stats. It won't help him with Mr. Football as that has already been decided. It won't really help much with recruiting because that has been pretty much decided for the level he will play at.

Honestly, I think it was more of a case of Marshall Co. can't take not being the big dog anymore. You had your time in the spotlight.....now it is our turn and our guys are trying to make the most of it. Our turn will be over soon and someone else will get to step up and dominate.....that's how high school athletics go.

And, more than anything.....it was your boneheaded head coach who did more harm to your team than any call made by the refs. His complete lack of composure had a MAJOR impact on his players. Did the ref's call make y'all give up about a 30 yard run right after "the catch"? Did it cause you to make a ton of turnovers? No, but the fact your coach and players lost their composure probably did!

It is one thing to stand up for your team......it is something completely different to act the way he did.

825433084[/snapback]

Has anyone offer anything legit to Herndon yet?????

Guest catfish-hunter

It should not matter whether Greenbrier did or did not run up the score on Marshall County. I say this because when you have the type of athletes that Marshall County has, then there is NO WAY that you should EVER lose a football game by 35-points. I find it kind of funny to see that this is the way that Marshall County has exited the postseason now for the past three years, twice to Crockett County and now this time to Greenbrier. Although I never ever agree with FatCat about anything on here, maybe he was right by calling Mac a "bonehead". I for one think that McCurry has done some pretty good things since coming to Lewisburg from Moore County, but maybe his time is running out at Marshall County. I can sit here and honestly say that Tharp has never been blown out in the postseason. My junior season, when Sycamore only had juniors, sophomores, and freshmen, we went to Milan in the first round of the playoffs and played them to a seven ppoint ballgame late in the fourth quarter. That ain't too darn shabby considering that the two previous years Milan won the state title. My senior year we went all the way to the quarters and should have won the game at Crockett County, but they hit a field-goal late and we lost a heartbreaker. Last year, Sycamore went on the road and beat Southside in the first round before losing to Greenbrier in the next round by one yard. It has to make the folks down in Lewisburg wonder why they continue to get hammered year after year in the playoffs despite the talent they are putting out on the field. Greenbrier is a talented team, but even the smartest of fans can see that the Bobcats aren't 35-points better talent wise than Marshall County.