Best wrestler who never placed

dragon12

Derrick who....??

From where...??

Was beating Quinn when...??

Easily..??

Really...????

825497175[/snapback]

I'm a huge Derrick Pierce fan, and I agree had it not been for some terrible draws at the state tournament, he had a legitimate shot at placing, but to say that he was beating Quinn was a stretch. I'm not really sure that this was a close match. Bye the way, didn't Quinn get OW that year, or was that Yost's year?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge Derrick Pierce fan, and I agree had it not been for some terrible draws at the state tournament, he had a legitimate shot at placing, but to say that he was beating Quinn was a stretch.  I'm not really sure that this was a close match.  Bye the way, didn't Quinn get OW that year, or was that Yost's year?

825499145[/snapback]

I believe it was that year and the next too.

soms

Quinn Gibson was NEVER behind or getting beat by anyone in the state tournament his soph thru senior year. He may have been in his freshman year when he finished 2nd to Ward in the finals but I dont think he was taking any kind of beating from anyone. Until he met Ward. Quinn was the only wrestler the senior Ward faced all year who went the entire 6 minutes with him. Ward( who continues a great career in wrestling at Oklahoma State) had tech falled or pinned all others before the freshman Quinn got majored in the finals by him (at least thats what the Soddy fans had told me after that match.). As far as I know Quinn was never behind in another state tourney match. If so it was momentarily in the early going as he coasted to his 3 state titles. Quinn got OW his junior and senior years. Yost got it in Quinns sophomore year.

Edited by Brickhousechick

Derrick Pierce was the 160 pounder from Smyrna. Talent wise he was as good as anybody. He was just not consistent. He could be bent in the most awful positions and come up smiling cause he was double jointed. It was pretty cool. I think had it not been for a shoulder injury he would have placed at state his senior year.

825499038[/snapback]

What happened to his shoulder? I remember that he used to have it wrapped up.

I'm not biased in anyway ( :lol: Ha,Ha) but I would have to include Eric Davis, Brentwood, '90,91,92 in this discussion. He placed all 3 yrs at state. He was ineligible his freshman year due to private to public transfer. He held the school record for pins for 2 years...and was known across the state for his expertly executed 'fireman'. His senior year he was injured during the championship quarters, but continue to wrestle against the advise of Coach West to a 4th place finish. He was the freestyle state champ for 4 years during this period and repeatedly beat Brentwood's Justin Zapp, his teammate who became Brentwood's 1st state champ in '92. With his exposure in freestyle Eric was recruited to wrestle for Clemson, but the program was dropped that same year. He then recieved a wrestling grant to Carson Newman where he competed for 5 semesters until the love of his life won his last match.

About Eric -

Duahhh.... :lol: now I read the part..."NEVER PLACED at state"...well, I am still very proud of him then and now.

PS - He learned the 'fireman's carry' by wrestling bull calves for castration back on the farm... you had to be quick because either the calf was up and running...or the momma cow was on top of you. ~ Louise

Edited by Louise

I'm not biased in anyway ( :lol: Ha,Ha) but I would have to include Eric Davis, Brentwood, '90,91,92 in this discussion.  He placed all 3 yrs at state. He was ineligible his freshman year due to private to public transfer.  He held the school record for pins for 2 years...and was known across the state for his expertly executed 'fireman'. His senior year he was injured during the championship quarters, but continue to wrestle against the advise of Coach West to a 4th place finish.  He was the freestyle state champ for 4 years during this period and repeatedly beat Brentwood's Justin Zapp, his teammate who became Brentwood's 1st state champ in '92.  With his exposure in freestyle Eric was recruited to wrestle for Clemson, but the program was dropped that same year.  He then recieved a wrestling grant to Carson Newman where he competed for 5 semesters until the love of his life won his last match.

825500389[/snapback]

Louise, I know another one from Brentwood that was really good but never placed, and I think he was there when Davis was: Sean O'Niel. Do you remember him?

Louise, I know another one from Brentwood that was really good but never placed, and I think he was there when Davis was:  Sean O'Niel.  Do you remember him?

825500428[/snapback]

Sure do remember Shawn O'Neal (the master of injury time outs) but what great wrestler...he played tag with the Johnson brothers from Chattanooga Central in every tournament he went too. They were a tough pair.

Sure do remember Shawn O'Neal (the master of injury time outs) but what great wrestler...he played tag with the Johnson brothers from Chattanooga Central in every tournament he went too.  They were a tough pair.

825500437[/snapback]

Shawn was one of my assistant coaches in high school at Blackman about three years ago. I wrestled with his step-son too.