Top 5 In TN history

mas1821

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone please tell me that Josh "Buster" Keltner is not from Lewis County, Hohenwald.  I really hope this isn't the same guy, because last time I saw him he was rolling in buggies at the Wal-Mart in Hohenwald.  Please clear this one up ASAP

825428551[/snapback]

DAWGSFAN71,

Josh "Buster" Keltner was indeed the one you probably saw at Wal-Mart. After graduating he committed to Indiana to play alongside long-time friend and fellow Bother in Christ Kirk Haston. However two weeks into conditioning Keltner tore his ACL thus ending his collegiate career. I've heard rumors he now works at Wal-Mart and has started a family.

DAWGSFAN71,

Josh "Buster" Keltner was indeed the one you probably saw at Wal-Mart. After graduating he committed to Indiana to play alongside long-time friend and fellow Bother in Christ Kirk Haston. However two weeks into conditioning Keltner tore his ACL thus ending his collegiate career. I've heard rumors he now works at Wal-Mart and has started a family.

825428737[/snapback]

Absolutely(!), no shame in that. Dawgsfan71 makes it sound like pushing buggies at a Wal-Mart is like he's become the town drunk on Hoosiers or something. What is a shame is that an injury stopped him.

Edited by Cougars2State

1. Cannon Whitby - one of the greates scorers in TN history (w/o the 3 pt. line)

2. Jimmy "Snap" Hunter - A true scoring machine

3. Trenton Hassell - Tremendous all around player

4. Albert Ellison - made the game look easy, couldn't be stopped

5. Tony Harris- most explosive guard to ever play in TN

Honorable Mention: Someone I thought most people had forgotten about but I see has been mentioned on here, Larry "White Lightning" Keltner. He was a hard-nosed, tenacious forward, and one of the mid-state's all-time best defenders. During his 4-year career at Hay Long High school under Tennessee Coaching Legend WC Johnson he represented the epitome of the blue-collar basketball star.

The dark-haired, rugged-looking Keltner roamed the hardwood with a determined grimace, a set jaw, and a jersey drenched with perspiration. Rival players knew they were in for a hard night's work when they faced him. After graduation, colleges everywhere beckoned, but Keltner decided to join the Navy and fight the communists in Vietnam. He was recently honored at a Veteran's Day Program in Hohenwald for his services and sacrifices made on behalf of his country.

I must admit that after reading the recent post about Tennessee greats I was left scratching my head about one imparticular, and so my research began. Turns out "White Lightning" Larry Keltner does indeed belong among the best, not only as a ball player but also as a Patriot. My search led to me discovering White Lightning averaged 37.3 ppg along with 24.7 reb and 15.2 assist respectively. He was recruited heavily by every school in the nation, but like posted before, Larry felt his duty was to his country. He inlisted in the United States Navy . I haven't been able to find much more info on Larry after his inlistment but if anyone has information on his whereabouts today please let me know. I'd love to have a nice long chat with the legendary "White Lightning" !

Edited by Historian

For everyone on here who was born before 1980, Monk Montgomery of Kittrel. He could score on ANYBODY. Also Albert Ellison of Linden, Sylvester Gray of Bolton, Ron Mercer-Goodpasture, Tony Delk-Haywood Co., Mike Rhodes-Perry Co. Anthony Roberts-Riverside, Bailey Howell. Shawn Marion and Trenton Hassell were good players at Clarksville, but improved greatly after graduation. You would think that a team with both of them would dominate, but they didn't. They did make it to the state once. Cannon Whitby averaged close to 40, but took 50+ shots a game playing for his father. He probably still hasn't crossed the half-court line for defense. Ted McLain and Les Hunter and Perry Wallace of the mid-60's Pearl team were all incredible. David Vaughn Sr. of Cameron in 70 and 71 was dominant. Penny Hardaway didn't even play almost all of his senior year becasue of grades and a drive-by shooting in the foot. The game has changed so much that it is really hard to compare the different eras. Yes, guys are more athletic now and can jump out of the gym, but VERY few can shoot the ball with any consistency. They just don't practice shooting anymore. A guy hits one three now and he thinks he is a shooter. Or worse, he gets a dunk and all these idiots in the stands think he is a stud, even though he just got beat back down the floor by his man for a lay-up because he was celebrating his showtime dunk. Fundamentals are a thing of the past. Unfortunately so is BASKETBALL ability. Now we just have athletes. There is my $ .02. :rolleyes:

Edited by bigchief

For everyone on here who was born before 1980, Monk Montgomery of Kittrel.  He could score on ANYBODY.  Also Albert Ellison of Linden, Sylvester Gray of Bolton, Ron Mercer-Goodpasture, Tony Delk-Haywood Co., Mike Rhodes-Perry Co. Anthony Roberts-Riverside, Bailey Howell.  Shawn Marion and Trenton Hassell were good players at Clarksville, but improved greatly after graduation.  You would think that a team with both of them would dominate, but they didn't.  They did make it to the state once.  Cannon Whitby averaged close to 40, but took 50+ shots a game playing for his father.  He probably still hasn't crossed the half-court line for defense.  Ted McLain and Les Hunter and Perry Wallace of the mid-60's Pearl team were all incredible.  David Vaughn Sr. of Cameron in 70 and 71 was dominant. Penny Hardaway didn't even play almost all of his senior year becasue of grades and a drive-by shooting in the foot. The game has changed so much that it is really hard to compare the different eras.  Yes, guys are more athletic now and can jump out of the gym, but VERY few can shoot the ball with any consistency.  They just don't practice shooting anymore.  A guy hits one three now and he thinks he is a shooter.  Or worse, he gets a dunk and all these idiots in the stands think he is a stud, even though he just got beat back down the floor by his man for a lay-up because he was celebrating his showtime dunk.  Fundamentals are a thing of the past.  Unfortunately so is BASKETBALL ability.  Now we just have athletes.  There is my $ .02. :rolleyes:

825429457[/snapback]

Clarksville made it to state one year with Marion/Hassell and the next year with Hassell after Marion had graudated. However I agree that with two NBA players on the roster they should have won a state championship. Probably had an even better chance to win state the year Trenton Hassell was a SR vs Vincent Yarbrough's Cleveland team. Hassell was the best player on the floor both years in state and didnt make it out of the first round, with Tony Harris beating them the year before.

This is a tough one but here goes :

1. Bailey Howell

2. Albert Ellison

3. "White Lightning" Larry Keltner

4. Mike Rhodes

5. Lee Fowler

I would have to say these are in no particular order because all are Tennessee High School Legends in my mind.

825428755[/snapback]

who are the best players that have never went to the NBA in Middle TN