Confused by TSSAA school classifications

Bulldog Dad

Please define "True State Champ".

It is an absolute insult to every wrestler that has won a State Championship (post split) every time this phrase is used. Tell Philip Simpson or Matt Keller or Ryan Scott or Kevin Ward that they are not true state champs.

Being a Farragut guy, you are probably a football fan. I haven't heard anyone say Germantown was not a True State Champ when they won the AAAAA football state championship last year and there are 8 football State Champions every year. There were 42 state wrestling champs in Iowa, 56 in Virginia and 70 in Georgia. Are you telling me that that the Iowa 145 pound AA Champ is not a true state champ. They are ALL State Champs as defined by the rules governing each State Association.

You seem to be a nice guy and a great fan of wrestling but the 'True State Champ' view is narrow-minded at best in my opinion. Many believe that Quinn Gibson was the most dominant wrestler in the state last year. Does that mean that Ryan Scott's 160# DII State Championship means nothing? I'm sure you'll answer NO, but then you'll say, "It sure would have been fun to see them wrestle". I would certainly agree with that, but it has nothing to do with the validity of each of their titles.

825435432[/snapback]

So you prefer the way it is now? Good point about the other states but most of them are broke down by size aren't they? I would prefer that!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is an absolute insult to every wrestler that has won a State Championship (post split) every time this phrase is used. Tell Philip Simpson or Matt Keller or Ryan Scott or Kevin Ward that they are not true state champs.

Being a Farragut guy, you are probably a football fan. I haven't heard anyone say Germantown was not a True State Champ when they won the AAAAA football state championship last year and there are 8 football State Champions every year. There were 42 state wrestling champs in Iowa, 56 in Virginia and 70 in Georgia. Are you telling me that that the Iowa 145 pound AA Champ is not a true state champ. They are ALL State Champs as defined by the rules governing each State Association.

You seem to be a nice guy and a great fan of wrestling but the 'True State Champ' view is narrow-minded at best in my opinion. Many believe that Quinn Gibson was the most dominant wrestler in the state last year. Does that mean that Ryan Scott's 160# DII State Championship means nothing? I'm sure you'll answer NO, but then you'll say, "It sure would have been fun to see them wrestle". I would certainly agree with that, but it has nothing to do with the validity of each of their titles.

825435432[/snapback]

I agree with you BayouBear, but I do not think that Rigger was trying to insult someone's championship. They all earned what they got. He is just giving an opinion on how one championship per state, per weight class can be defined as a "True State Champ".

...but it has nothing to do with the validity of each of their titles.

825435432[/snapback]

To each wrestler and their school, it's great!! But, interest and luster of the title may be impacted when it comes to recruitment, especially in GA and VA. Maybe not as much in Iowa, however. Thank goodness Tennessee isn't as fragmented or watered down. It's hard enough to watch two great matches going on at state at the same time,,, as a matter of fact it CAN BE VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

soms

Edited by Sommers

I agree with you BayouBear, but I do not think that Rigger was trying to insult someone's championship.  They all earned what they got.  He is just giving an opinion on how one championship per state, per weight class can be defined as a "True State Champ".

825435606[/snapback]

I would not attack anyone’s State Championship. There two many variables involved to get to one (Sickness, injuries). But everyone on here has heard it before. Public vs. the Private.

Our Family had the opportunity to know and wrestle with kids from Baylor, McCallie, Kingsport, Farragut etc. We have been in the Mocsters at UTC and AAU programs in different towns.

My son had the experience of wrestling against Spencer Manley in Middle School and had partners who were State Champs from Kingsport and Farragut. <_<

I know that when it was one division that you couldn't hear the comment "True State Champ". There were other issues but not that.

I feel if last that last years 152lb Championship had not been separated at least one of the two if not both would have been from the private schools. ;) It would have been nice to see. I may pick on a school out of fun but not a young man.

After experiencing the Senior Nationals last year, I've seen that being a one time or four times State Champ doesn’t mean much when you go against the best in the nation. (i.e. Undefeated 4 time Nebraska State Champ, beat 1st match and out by the 3rd round). :D

Good luck to all and let’s get it on!

Edited by rigger101

825435432[/snapback]

This is the 1st year since we moved to Farragut in 2000 that the School has had anything to cheer about in Football.

I'm happy for the kid's.

Check out the Football sites and you will see post ref the D-ll football Championships.

Some play as little as two playoff games and they are State Champs. PLEEEEEEEEEASE! WHAT A JOKE.

Yeah, that makes them the Monsters of the Midway.

So it's not a valid point.

Yes they are and yes my point is valid.

They will all get rings and each player will be able to tell his future offspring that his team won the 2003 DII AA State Championship or whatever.

But to my original point.....A state is a state champ. The kid or team accomplished what was required of them to be named State Champion. Your opinion or the opinion of anyone else on the quality and/or quantity of the competition they faced is meaningless and worthless.

In regard to wrestling....a kid works his butt off, he makes it to the state tournament, he whips everybody in his bracket and the TSSAA gives him a medal that says he is a State Champion. Well then, by God, he's the True State Champion. It doesn't matter squat that you or anyone else says he didn't beat the person you thought he should beat or he didn't beat enough people. He's still the true State Champ.

The exact issue that I believe is wrong is that it is so easy for people to say or post, "The Divisions should be together so we can have a True State Champion." I have NO issue with the statement, "The Divisions should be together so we can have ONE State Champion per weight." The difference between the two may seem like semantics. But it's not semantics to the wrestlers who have won a DI or a DII state championship.

If you don't believe me, the next time you see Scott Dix in the Farragut wrestling room, walk up to him and tell him (in your opinion) it's too bad he's not a True State Champion because he didn't beat Andrew Smith.

So what. Your point is what?

Last time I checked, the results of the Ryan Invitational had nothing to do with the State Tournament.

825439173[/snapback]

I am just stating that Dix beat Smith. No it was not at the state tournament but atleast he wrestled him. Dix can say he beat everyone in public school and when he wrestled the private school state champ he beat him.

Edited by fwc00

Yes they are and yes my point is valid.

NOPE!  It's a joke!

But to my original point.....A state is a state champ. The kid or team accomplished what was required of them to be named State Champion. Your opinion or the opinion of anyone else on the quality and/or quantity of the competition they faced is meaningless and worthless.  Never Said That.

The exact issue that I believe is wrong is that it is so easy for people to say or post, "The Divisions should be together so we can have a True State Champion." I have NO issue with the statement, "The Divisions should be together so we can have ONE State Champion per weight." Amen!

The difference between the two may seem like semantics. It is semantics!  But it's not semantics to the wrestlers who have won a DI or a DII state championship.

I can tell you the young men who won it under the one State Champ System feel they beat the best their State had to offer.  Under the system we have now they can't.

825439061[/snapback]

You have your view and I have mine. do you know folks that have won it under the two systems? I Do! thumb

Edited by rigger101

You have your view and I have mine.  do you know folks that have won it under the two systems?  I Do! thumb

825439382[/snapback]

Yep. I know one or two.

Your view is typical. It is purely fan based. YOU think it is a more valuable accomplishment because YOU want to see who has the baddest dog. YOUR opinion is not based on what the wrestlers want. It is based on what YOU want.

Have a nice day. thumb

(I'll let you get your parting shot in and then we'll drop this. I'll just consider my view as correct and yours as warped. B) When you come to Bradley, we'll shake hands and I'll buy you a hot dog and a cold one.)

Edited by BayouBear