Confused by TSSAA school classifications

Bulldog Dad

The district/region classifications for DI at the TSSAA site (http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/GenClass.cfm) seem to be missing some schools, at least in Region 2. Where are Gibbs and Seymour for example? Someone told me there is a smaller school division now, but it doesn't show up on the TSSAA website that I can find. Just the DII private schools. Can anyone help me out here?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The district/region classifications for DI at the TSSAA site (http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/GenClass.cfm) seem to be missing some schools, at least in Region 2.  Where are Gibbs and Seymour for example?  Someone told me there is a smaller school division now, but it doesn't show up on the TSSAA website that I can find.  Just the DII private schools.  Can anyone help me out here?

825432508[/snapback]

In D-I, the schools that have wrestling and are missing from the list are small schools in dual match competition. There are four sections for them. Section I in East TN, Section II out of Chattanooga, Section III (Regions V and VI) from Middle TN, and Section IV has Regions VII and VIII. Each Section will send 1 team to D-1 A/AA State Duals and they will compete simultaneously with D-1 AAA and D-II at the tournament in Clarksville.

Nothing has changed for the individual tournaments

WHy did they choose to only take 4 small schools to the State? That does not seem too fair or equal. I  dont understand why the DII  teams take 8 and only 16 scattered across the state and Small schools have only 4. I also have  issues with DII giving top 6 placers when they can not fill a completed 16 man bracket.  :lol:

825433011[/snapback]

Good post!

WHy did they choose to only take 4 small schools to the State? That does not seem too fair or equal. I  dont understand why the DII  teams take 8 and only 16 scattered across the state and Small schools have only 4. I also have  issues with DII giving top 6 placers when they can not fill a completed 16 man bracket.  :lol:

825433011[/snapback]

I don't want to stir things up but, even though we (DII) don't always fill a 16 man bracket, I would be willing to put our top 6 up against the top 6 of DI and I think we would have one heck of a competitive tourney.

With that said, let's go back to pulling the divisions together and have 1 TRUE state champion per weight class!

825434784[/snapback]

I hear you on that Sundancer but you know that after a few years people would get unhappy with that and want to return to the split. There is no way to keep everyone happy and most seem to be satisfied with the way it is now. It is just never going to be like it was back in the old days.

I don't want to stir things up but, even though we (DII) don't always fill a 16 man bracket, I would be willing to put our top 6 up against the top 6 of DI and I think we would have one heck of a competitive tourney.

825434779[/snapback]

I would put top 3 against top 3 and it would very competitive. There is no way in hades that 4-6 in DII can consistently compete with 4-6 in DI. There are guys every year in DII that place at state that might not make it out of regionals in DI.

:wub:

With that said, let's go back to pulling the divisions together and have 1 TRUE state champion per weight class!

825434784[/snapback]

I have cousins who were State Champs from Father Ryan when it was 1 division. :D They were True State Champs!

We all know that sometimes the weight class will be weak either in the D1 or Dll group. When it was under one Championship you know you had the best at every weight class.

I would have liked to see Bradley, Baylor, McCallie, Clarksville and Father Ryan going for one true team and individual Championship over that last 10 years. B) I feel that the public schools would have won their share.

You have the big 4, (Baylor, McCallie, Father Ryan and CB) who are in the hunt every year. After that it is slim pickings!

Our top 6 from our team would have destroyed any of the private schools in the Knoxville area. At the KIL (Knox County Championships) last year the private schools were pretty far back.

But we couldn't even win our district as a team because of injuries and not having a full team during the season.

The DII Schools have a History of winning and the $$$ going toward their successful programs.

real facilities to practice in. Ours is in a converted School Garage. They have Coaches who are legends ( we have had 4 in 5 years) and families and community that believe in the Sport.

We finished 4th last year at the State. No press coverage in the Knoxville paper. Our team was on one page with three pictures in the annual. There were no pictures of the State Champ or the finalist. :o

The sailing club received more space than our team. :lol:

So I would say some folks have it better than others!

So, I say let's just all get along and have true State Champs.

Edited by rigger101

I would put top 3 against top 3 and it would very competitive. There is no way in hades that 4-6 in DII can consistently compete with 4-6 in DI.  There are guys every year in DII that place at state that might not make it out of regionals in DI.

825434894[/snapback]

This is true in a lot of occasions but I also know more than my share of times where a kid who took fifth at DII could have easily won the region where he was from. I have seen times where a DI champ would at best been a low medalist in DII and vice versa but this thigns switch every year. Yes of course it is more matches to get to a medal in DI but I wouldn't say the road is any harder than it is in DII (especially if you want to talk about top four placers, it is true that sometimes the fifth and sixth guys in DII are a little weaker than those in DI, but definitely not always). Every year there are strengths and weaknesses in every weight in both divisions. I am just saying that if you look at a total history then it would be pretty close.

This is true in a lot of occasions but I also know more than my share of times where a kid who took fifth at DII could have easily won the region where he was from.  I have seen times where a DI champ would at best been a low medalist in DII and vice versa but this thigns switch every year.  Yes of course it is more matches to get to a medal in DI but I wouldn't say the road is any harder than it is in DII (especially if you want to talk about top four placers, it is true that sometimes the fifth and sixth guys in DII are a little weaker than those in DI, but definitely not always).  Every year there are strengths and weaknesses in every weight in both divisions.  I am just saying that if you look at a total history then it would be pretty close.

825434969[/snapback]

I agree!

:P

So, I say let's just all get along and have true State Champs.

825434899[/snapback]

Please define "True State Champ".

It is an absolute insult to every wrestler that has won a State Championship (post split) every time this phrase is used. Tell Philip Simpson or Matt Keller or Ryan Scott or Kevin Ward that they are not true state champs.

Being a Farragut guy, you are probably a football fan. I haven't heard anyone say Germantown was not a True State Champ when they won the AAAAA football state championship last year and there are 8 football State Champions every year. There were 42 state wrestling champs in Iowa, 56 in Virginia and 70 in Georgia. Are you telling me that that the Iowa 145 pound AA Champ is not a true state champ. They are ALL State Champs as defined by the rules governing each State Association.

You seem to be a nice guy and a great fan of wrestling but the 'True State Champ' view is narrow-minded at best in my opinion. Many believe that Quinn Gibson was the most dominant wrestler in the state last year. Does that mean that Ryan Scott's 160# DII State Championship means nothing? I'm sure you'll answer NO, but then you'll say, "It sure would have been fun to see them wrestle". I would certainly agree with that, but it has nothing to do with the validity of each of their titles.

Edited by BayouBear