Rebels vs. Vikings

THSVikings2004

If Tennessee High goes out and plays hard in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters I think THS will win in a memorable game.

825453058[/snapback]

I have said several times on CoachT that you better come to play four hard quarters with Maryville. I believe that Maryville gets stronger as the game wears on. One apparent asset THS has is depth. You will definitely need it against Maryville. If THS lets up a quarter it's over.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think any Maryville team is going to lay down because they have already accomplished their goal.  each year has a new goal STATE CHAMPIONS.  this one hasnt been accomplished yet.  The only game Maryville wants to win more than this game is the game next week in Murfreesboro

825453070[/snapback]

yeah i dont think they will slack off for one second-the guys want this one really bad b/c they made small mistakes last year that cost them the game-they are ready to step up and overcome that and welcome the vikings to a whole new level and show them what its all about :o

If Maryville loses, they will be considered one of the worst Maryville teams over the past several years.

I highly disagree with you THSVikings. Last year we lost in the semifinals, and I dont believe anyone considers them worse than any other team we have had in the past few years. I actually believe last year we were better than we were this year, we just didnt play like it that game. If somehow we lose tonight, I dont think anyone will think this has been one of the worst teams in the past couple of years. I think we have done so much more this year, with less talent than usual, than people really thought we would have. If we somehow lost tonight, I think people would believe we lost to the better team, not because we have been one of the worst teams in recent years at Maryville.

50 Pages and nearly 800 posts. I believe the Viking and Rebel fans are fired up. I am ready for the talk to end and the game to start.

For Maryville to win they need to play better defense than they have the last 2 weeks. Powell and Central moved the ball easy at times. TN High has a strong running atack. Maryville needs to slow them down.

Maryville's offense needs to keep playing the way they have played all season. Offensive line needs to keep blocking the way they have blocked all year. Having Ryan Tallent and Antonio Byner back is huge.

I think Maryville wins 28-17. I think Maryvile's offense will be too balanced for TN High. I think with Maryville being in 7 semifinals in 8 seasons will be a big edge mentally. I think Maryville's defense wil play better tonight.

50 Pages and nearly 800 posts. I believe the Viking and Rebel fans are fired up. I am ready for the talk to end and the game to start.

For Maryville to win they need to play better defense than they have the last 2 weeks. Powell and Central moved the ball easy at times. TN High has a strong running atack. Maryville needs to slow them down.

Maryville's offense needs to keep playing the way they have played all season. Offensive line needs to keep blocking the way they have blocked all year. Having Ryan Tallent and Antonio Byner back is huge.

I think Maryville wins 28-17. I think Maryvile's offense will be too balanced for TN High. I think with Maryville being in 7 semifinals in 8 seasons will be a big edge mentally. I think Maryville's defense wil play better tonight.

825453138[/snapback]

REBELRON,

Check your PM.

It's gameday and that means one thing: prediction time!

I've been talking about this game on coacht since like March, and I can only hope that the team is half as fired up as I am. Anyway, like I always do, I'm going to highlight several points that I think will affect the outcome of the game and then give my prediction.

Factors:

Poise -

Maryville has it. They've been here before, and there's a ton to be said for that. When our QB is standing in the pocket with a trip to state on the line, he'll be standing someplace he's stood before with as much on the line and with bigger and faster guys coming after him. That's just one example of what rings true across the board abour our team.

Offense -

The MHS attack is versatile on so many levels. They can run or throw with equal effectiveness. There are 4 running backs who can make you pay and the QB has shown that he can get upfield too if necessary. Our passes can go short or deep to at least 5 different receivers who will line up in multi-faceted sets. All of our backs can catch and run out of the backfield. And the whole offense is so complex that I think it's virtually impossible to prepare for all the looks MHS can show. I've heard a lot about the THS defensive front, but I just don't think that Rhett Brooks and the rest of my boys on the line are going to be surprised by anything they see.

I just don't see the wingt posing as high scoring a threat as the MHS offense does. Should one of those shifty, speedy backs get by the line and into the secondary, it could be a big play...but getting past the line is easier said than done and those opportunities for the big play are likely to be few and far between.

Defense -

The MHS defense is good. They've seen the wingt run by better teams (Hillsboro), and they've stopped it. No one has thrown the deep ball with any sustained effectiveness against MHS in a very long time. I don't think tonight will be the night that changes. If the Rebels can contain the run at the line, then I am confident that our DBs will be able to play their men or zones and will hold them down like they always do. My only concern is that the emphasis on stopping the run could leave quick, short passing routes open and the Rebels have struggled to stop this sort of attack at times this season. I've heard that the THS oline doesn't have dominant players and that they are not quick enough to pull with effectiveness against the Rebel front. I look for MHS to be in the backfield being disruptive.

Special Teams -

So THS may have the advantage here...or so I'm hearing. Well, we think we can mitigate that difference (if there is one). We'll likely not kick to your return men. Our kicker can stick it in the end zone even in this cold weather. I'm not convinced that we'll have our punter on the field much. But if Mr. Jenkins comes in to punt, I'd really encourage your guys to call the fair catch because he'll give our headhunters plenty of time to be on your return man like cold on snow before the ball ever gets there. And if you pin us down, don't get your hopes up for a safety the way someone was talking earlier in this thread.

Motivation -

I'm really torn on this one. Obviously both teams are playing with the same goal in mind. But the psychology that must affect their mindsets is different. THS wants to taste something for the first time. MHS knows it tastes sweet and wants more. Which is stronger motivation? I don't know. I would never question the heart of a Rebel, but they have looked flat since round one and I'm really hoping they don't come out that way today. I'm going to give the motivation edge to THS. But I'm also going to say that I really think they will be in for a surprise when they see the Rebels. Someone said that MHS has never see a team like THS before. Well, the truth is that we see the best in the state pretty much every year on our path through the Boro. We know what it takes to be the best and we will not be shocked. THS does not have this luxury of experience and is much more likely to be surprised at the level of competition on Friday night's field.

Bottom line:

Maryville 35

Tennessee 17

Go Red Rebels!