WB and Heritage drop Alcoa from Schedule

Budrock

I did not want to start this discussion but I saw it mentioned in another thread.

I don't understand this. Do the people responsible for the schedule at these schools not understand the tradition? What was the motive? How can you have a county championship unless all teams play one another?

GovMan?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not want to start this discussion but I saw it mentioned in another thread.

I don't understand this. Do the people responsible for the schedule at these schools not understand the tradition? What was the motive? How can you have a county championship unless all teams play one another?

GovMan?

I say they want to get some team on the schedule they can beat :D

Edited by CCHSJets2002

id drop them too if i was them.  id be embarassed if a 2A team was beating us year after year

825443240[/snapback]

Well that 2a team called Alcoa normally dominates any other team in any classification except for maryville. Alcoa'a tradition, pride, and atheletes started winning state championships before the classifications even came into play. I think that it is sad that 4 and 5a teams can't even compete with a school that has 400 kids max.

Don't bash a two schools who are trying to find their indentity. I know the Hertiage coach will schedule games he percieves as winnable to build confidence around the Heritage program. How can you expect a team to win consistently if they have never done it. I wouldn't bash these schools for two long within the next two to three years they will be able to compete and beat Alcoa and other top notched programs.

I don't understand this.  Do the people responsible for the schedule at these schools not understand the tradition?  What was the motive?  How can you have a county championship unless all teams play one another? 

GovMan?

825443202[/snapback]

Buddyrow,

Dang it. I'd heard it rumored that Blount wasn't going to play Alcoa, but I was hoping that was all it was. I think it's a shame. First, I think the county rivalries are important ... second, from a financial perspective, these games provide

"good gates."

I wouldn't blame Coach Meadows for maybe wanting to get Knox Central off the schedule for awhile, but I hate to see Alcoa go. It's not like you all have beaten us on a regular basis the past few years (contrary to what RebelRaider thinks).

I'll be real interested in knowing what the rationale was for dropping a county rivalry, if indeed that is what we've done.

Honest question, is it verified that WB dropped Alcoa and not visa-versa? I don't have a clue, I'm just wondering.

Good to hear from you GovMan. Hope the family is doing well.

I'm comfortable saying it was WB and Heritage that dropped Alcoa. I first heard of this Thursday night at the basketball game (Alcoa vs. Webb). I confirmed Friday when I was there for the pregame meal and the game vs. Rockwood. As I understand it, Alcoa is calling all over trying to find games to fill in the schedule. Rumor has it that the only new team on the schedule, other than region foes Loudon and CAK, is the Fulton Falcons. I think we will lose the South-Doyle and Webb games along with region foe Harriman and the two BC schools. By my math that means will still need two more games to fill out a ten game schedule.

Good luck at the Maryville - THS game this Friday. Root the Rebels on to victory. If you change your mind and want to go to Nashville let me know. I'll let you ride between my two little brothers. thumb

I always heard that it was a Blount Co. Board of Ed. thing that all Blount Co. teams play each other first before scheduling out of county for non-region games. Is there any possibility that region schedules have interfered with compatable dates or that Alcoa being a separate City System made the move first??????????

I just realized this post sounds redundant, but Budrocks post was not on site when I started this reply, sorry. :huh:

Edited by possumcop

Do not let the size of the school foll you. Alcoa has around 400 students, but over half are tuition based. If I recall the tuition is only around $45 a month to attend the school. I also think over 50 percent of the football team pays tuition to play there. It does not benefit Heritage or WB to play Alcoa or Maryville as long as both city schools accept tuition students. If the city schools go over a certain percentage of tuition students they should also be hit with the 1.8 multiplier.

I also like to watch the in-county games between all four schools. You get to see all kids in the county play. But why go play teams with kids from your schools zone. How many kids drive by Heritage and WB to play in the city. I have coached in the county and know most of the kids on both teams. The list of names is to long to type on this forum.

Both schools have great athletic programs, I am just saying not all the talent is home grown. Bottom line, if you have the money for tuition you can play on either team, but Maryville is a little bit more expensive. I hope both teams bring home state titles this year. It is good for all Blount County for its teams to win.

Guys, what good is the blount co championship when 2 teams have won it almost every year of it's alleged existience? I'm not trying to start anything, just stating facts. You guys are better off playing 5A teams and getting better in 5A. You can talk ticket sales, county unity and all that. It's touchy feely and nice, but you all and we need better suited comp on our shcdules.

Don't be surprised if Maryville drops one of you too (probably Heritage). We're gonna be cramped on our schedule with 8 in our Region now. I'd say that's what dictated your all's change in scheduling more than anything.

The only folks you see arguing for a "Blount Co Championship" are old school fans and fans who root for the teams who don't win it much (no offense to rebelron, govman, budrock, etc). Now that's just facts guys. I wanna see you all succeed as much as you do. Maybe this will give you both 1 more W every year...maybe 2 more W's.