4A champ is being decided in Memphis on Friday.

solrazor

This is a ridiculous thread.  All four remaining teams are undefeated.  All of these teams are capable of beating the rest.  I think Maryville will make a statement Friday, though.  They're not the best Maryville team in recent years but they know how to win.  I have some doubts about Melrose just because they lost to Hillsboro a couple years in a row, and Maryville beat those hillsboro teams.  Melrose fans - how do you think this year's team compares to past years?  White House fans - people in the east don't know anything about youall.  What kind of offense do you run?  Defense?

825451451[/snapback]

Melrose plays a wide open, spread offensive scheme-- 4 receivers, 1 RB. Defense = 4-3, I think. Lots of speed and playmakers on both sides of the ball:

OFFENSIVELY: Grade B... Melrose is mistake-prone but, otherwise, difficult to contain. Numerous speedy skill players.....Young QB (Madison) is effective, but not a pure passer; very shifty, unpredictable, dangerous and difficult to sack..... Starting receiver/backup QB (Wilson) reminds me of a young Steve McNair. He's actually the better QB! He prefers to play receiver, ala (relative, former Melrose, current SF 49ers receiver) Cedrick Wilson. Played extremely well last week, filling in for Madison (out with foot ailment). I wondered... Where on earth have they been hiding THIS GUY, all year long!! Man, he was impressive. Crisp passer; mobile... one other prolific reciever, with "mad" skills.... RB Cooper. MR. Football candidate.

DEFENSIVELY: Grade A+.... Very solid. Plays very cohesively. MLB #52 is the leader. They call him "Baby Ray (as in Ray Lewis)." Secondary is good, overall. Has not given up many big plays; closes well on the ball. lots of interceptions....

SPECIAL TEAMS: Grade B+..... Playmakers galore. Routinely makes silly, unecessary, behind-the-play illegal blocks.

KICKING GAME: Grade F.... Horrific!! Appx 40% PAT's... No FG's... Punter erratic.

THE COACH: Grade C+.... Coach is OK. Makes good use of his personnel. OVERALL decision-making/play selection is often unsuitable--not in sync with the ebb & flow of the game.

THIS TEAM vs. LAST 2 YEAR's TEAMS: Grade B+......This year's team in NOT as good as either of its squads, from the last 2 years! Defense is better than BOTH of 2 previous squads! Offense is not as explosive; it's erratic & mistake-prone. Starting QB not as efficient.

I hope this helps give you a better idea about the Melrose Golden Wildcats.

Lastly, I fully understand your doubts about this year's Melrose team, given last 2 Semifinal losses to Hillsboro (1 pt loss, each time). Don't read too much into that, however, EITHER way... I attended both games. Hillsboro had great squads, but Melrose's lack of a kicking game, (mainly PAT's) determined the outcome of BOTH of those games! Melrose was literally INCHES from winning BOTH of those games.... Heartbreaking, yes. That's the way it goes, though, especially in the playoffs--small deficiencies are often exposed in a big way.

Good luck to both teams. I'm looking forward to a great game.

--TraderB

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melrose plays a wide open, spread offensive scheme-- 4 receivers, 1 RB.  Defense = 4-3, I think.  Lots of speed and playmakers on both sides of the ball:

OFFENSIVELY:  Grade B...  Melrose is mistake-prone but, otherwise, difficult to contain.  Numerous speedy skill players.....Young QB (Madison) is effective, but not a pure passer; very shifty, unpredictable, dangerous and difficult to sack.....  Starting receiver/backup QB (Wilson) reminds me of a young Steve McNair.  He's actually the better QB!  He prefers to play receiver, ala (relative, former Melrose, current SF 49ers receiver) Cedrick Wilson.  Played extremely well last week, filling in for Madison (out with foot ailment).  I wondered... Where on earth have they been hiding THIS GUY, all year long!!  Man, he was impressive. Crisp passer; mobile... one other prolific reciever, with "mad" skills....  RB Cooper.  MR. Football candidate.

DEFENSIVELY:  Grade A+....  Very solid. Plays very cohesively. MLB #52 is the leader.  They call him "Baby Ray (as in Ray Lewis)."  Secondary is good, overall.  Has not given up many big plays; closes well on the ball.  lots of interceptions....

SPECIAL TEAMS:  Grade B+..... Playmakers galore.  Routinely makes silly, unecessary, behind-the-play illegal blocks.

KICKING GAME:  Grade F....  Horrific!!  Appx 40% PAT's...  No FG's...  Punter erratic.

THE COACH: Grade C+.... Coach is OK.  Makes good use of his personnel.  OVERALL decision-making/play selection is often unsuitable--not in sync with the ebb & flow of the game.

THIS TEAM  vs.  LAST 2 YEAR's TEAMS:  Grade B+......This year's team in NOT as good as either of its squads, from the last 2 years!  Defense is better than BOTH of 2 previous squads!  Offense is not as explosive; it's erratic & mistake-prone. Starting QB not as efficient.

Lastly, I fully understand your doubts about this year's Melrose team, given last 2 Semifinal losses to Hillsboro (1 pt loss, each time).  Don't read too much into that, however, EITHER way...  I attended both games.  Hillsboro had great squads, but Melrose's lack of a kicking game, (mainly PAT's) determined the outcome of BOTH of those games!  Melrose was literally INCHES from winning BOTH of those games....  Heartbreaking, yes.  That's the way it goes, though, especially in the playoffs--small deficiencies are often exposed in a big way.

Good luck to both teams.  I'm looking  forward to a great game.

--TraderB

825451813[/snapback]

One of the best posts I have seen in a long time. You should consider a career in some sort of public writing.

Melrose and Maryville will he the best matchup in all of TN football this year.

It is very hard to predict the best team amongst east, middle and west teams. Three different worlds we are talking about. I do believe, however, athletes are more abundant in metro areas...more talent in memphis schools than in east tn schools.

Coaching makes the difference. If metro schools had the coaching they would dominate our athletics. Someone stated earlier that maryville would have to make junk plays if they were down. In better words, they would have to be coached a win. I definitely agree with this idea.

My predictions are based on tradition: Maryville vs. Melrose

Maryville wins it all. Melrose, however, has a better team. Kicking and coaching, as someone said before, are the difference makers. Sorry TN High and White House. The "rudy" factor does not play a part in 4A football this year. I will still pull for you though; it is time for someone to break tradition.

I would also like to note that Oak Ridge, from a fan's point, is worthy of a state championship. It is hard to compete against a program like Riverdale, however, and it will take a "rudy" factor to win this won.

I have a hard time conforming to programs like Germantown and, to some extent, Franklin. The money and politics that feed these programs do not make it fair for other public schools. Of course, this goes beyond high school athletics.

I would like to see more emphasis placed on smaller classes because I believe that it is much harder to take talent from a small pool and turn it into success. Smaller programs like these, in my opinion, signify far more success than larger programs in the fact that they can take grassroot talent and turn it into gold. The talent in larger schools is always high, it is a matter of coaching, wher there is too much emphasis.

Think and debate these thoughts. More to come. Happy Thanksgiving.

Melrose plays a wide open, spread offensive scheme-- 4 receivers, 1 RB.  Defense = 4-3, I think.  Lots of speed and playmakers on both sides of the ball:

OFFENSIVELY:  Grade B...  Melrose is mistake-prone but, otherwise, difficult to contain.  Numerous speedy skill players.....Young QB (Madison) is effective, but not a pure passer; very shifty, unpredictable, dangerous and difficult to sack.....  Starting receiver/backup QB (Wilson) reminds me of a young Steve McNair.  He's actually the better QB!  He prefers to play receiver, ala (relative, former Melrose, current SF 49ers receiver) Cedrick Wilson.  Played extremely well last week, filling in for Madison (out with foot ailment).  I wondered... Where on earth have they been hiding THIS GUY, all year long!!  Man, he was impressive. Crisp passer; mobile... one other prolific reciever, with "mad" skills....  RB Cooper.  MR. Football candidate.

DEFENSIVELY:  Grade A+....  Very solid. Plays very cohesively. MLB #52 is the leader.  They call him "Baby Ray (as in Ray Lewis)."  Secondary is good, overall.  Has not given up many big plays; closes well on the ball.  lots of interceptions....

SPECIAL TEAMS:  Grade B+..... Playmakers galore.  Routinely makes silly, unecessary, behind-the-play illegal blocks.

KICKING GAME:  Grade F....  Horrific!!  Appx 40% PAT's...  No FG's...  Punter erratic.

THE COACH: Grade C+.... Coach is OK.  Makes good use of his personnel.  OVERALL decision-making/play selection is often unsuitable--not in sync with the ebb & flow of the game.

THIS TEAM  vs.  LAST 2 YEAR's TEAMS:  Grade B+......This year's team in NOT as good as either of its squads, from the last 2 years!  Defense is better than BOTH of 2 previous squads!  Offense is not as explosive; it's erratic & mistake-prone. Starting QB not as efficient.

Lastly, I fully understand your doubts about this year's Melrose team, given last 2 Semifinal losses to Hillsboro (1 pt loss, each time).  Don't read too much into that, however, EITHER way...  I attended both games.  Hillsboro had great squads, but Melrose's lack of a kicking game, (mainly PAT's) determined the outcome of BOTH of those games!  Melrose was literally INCHES from winning BOTH of those games....  Heartbreaking, yes.  That's the way it goes, though, especially in the playoffs--small deficiencies are often exposed in a big way.

Good luck to both teams.  I'm looking  forward to a great game.

--TraderB

825451813[/snapback]

Comprehensive post TraderB. It's good to see some due diligence before posting.

However I think that the coaching grade is lower than the staff deserves. This coaching staff took over a program in 2002 that had some unique challenges. This staff was the third staff in 3 years. Since taking over, Melrose has lost only 3 games entering the White House contest and have been a semi-finalist every year during their watch.

Your comments concerning ebb and flow/play calling are fair but there are non x and o related coaching intangibles that this staff does real well in. Coaching in an inner city setting brings added responsibilities and challenges which Coach Ingram and his staff have met head on.

I wish I could put a spin on the kicking game........but oh well....I can't! :lol:

I have not seen White House play this year, but their play-off run over the past 10 years speaks for itself. This has the makings of a very good game and fans of both teams should be excited at the opportunity.

Four undefeated teams and the guarantee of an undefeated final. If you're a football fan, you gotta love it!

Once Again, good post TraderB

--OrangeMoundWest

This should be a great week to be a 4A fan, four un-defeated teams going at it. I do not think the State Championship is being decided in Memphis and you should not think it ether! Maryville and TN Hi are good teams, and Maryville has proven they know how to get it done better than anyone in the state at all levels the past 6 years.

But First and again I say First Maryville must take care of business this friday!

Go Reb's

Comprehensive post TraderB. It's good to see some due diligence before posting.

However I think that the coaching grade is lower than the staff deserves.  This coaching staff took over a program in 2002 that had some unique challenges.  This staff was the third staff in 3 years.  Since taking over, Melrose has lost only 3 games entering the White House contest and have been a semi-finalist every year during their watch.

Your comments concerning ebb and flow/play calling are fair but there are non x and o related coaching intangibles that this staff does real well in.  Coaching in an inner city setting brings added responsibilities and challenges which Coach Ingram and his staff have met head on.

I wish I could put a spin on the kicking game........but oh well....I can't! :)

I have not seen White House play this year, but their play-off run over the past 10 years speaks for itself.  This has the makings of a very good game and fans of both teams should be excited at the opportunity.

Four undefeated teams and the guarantee of an undefeated final. If you're a football fan,  you gotta love it!

Once Again,  good post TraderB

--OrangeMoundWest

825451839[/snapback]

I concur with orangemoundwest in every respect.