white house loses to Melrose

kwc

Before I get into the up and comming game, I want to vent about the negative impressions I been getting after reading certain posts about Orange Mound. Yes ... Orange Mound is in the middle of Urban Memphis. For those who didn't understand what I just said let me break down that last comment ... It's in the middle a predominate african american neighborhood. I have read countless post that have not come out and said it, but they have inferred that comming to Melrose stadium isn't safe. My question to them ... safe for who? *sigh* It's sad that I even have to address this ... but I'm getting a little fed up with people trying to make it seem that if you are 'not from the hood' you are not welcome into Melrose stadium for a HS football game. That is farthest from the truth. IF you have a problem being in a sea of african american people who are rabid fans of their neighborhood HS football team, then ok ... fine ... be like that. IF you are NOT afraid to be in a place where the number of african americans will probably outnumber you 3:1, or 4:1 ... then come on down and have a great time! HERE IS A NOVEL IDEA ... why not get to meet somebody you don't know and talk about high school football and how good it is in the west part of Tennessee!!!! Melrose stadium is a great place for a HS football game. The stadium is old, and the field is overused due to the Pee-Wee football league that played on it, earlier in the saeson, from 8 AM to 6 PM on Saturdays. Yes ... Melrose will have some obnoxios fans in the crowd. What HS football team doesn't? Yes ... the track surrounding the field will be filled with roaming african american teenagers ... that's what teenagers do ... it's hip to be seen at the Melrose games if you are a teenager. I invite the White House faithfull to mill around after the game and get to meet some of the people ... they are really nice.

Look ... you can come to Melrose stadium with some pre-concieved idea's about being in an urban surrounding ... or you can come to Melrose stadium expecting to see a very good football game. How you enjoy the experience is up to you. Just leave any pre-concieved notions you have at home and treat it like another game ... just in the CITY of Memphis.

I'm looking forward to the White House fans comming to the game, I pray you all have a safe and wonderful trip. I'm not rooting for you to win ... lol ... but I am hoping you bring a large and loud crowd! Let's have some fun Friday night!

Any predictions? This is a treat. We get to see two Mr. Football Finalist for Back in this game. Greg Cooper from Melrose and Mr. Ladd from White House. White House gets to see Mr. Greg Hardy, the Melrose Mr. Football finalist for lineman. If you are wondering ... Greg Hardy is #52, and he plays MLB. They call him 'Baby Ray' in the stands, that's short for baby Ray Lewis. Greg Cooper is #28, and he is also the punter ... and if need be, he plays CB.

This is going to be a great game ... see you on Friday!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it will be a great opportunity to see some FABULOUS football players in action....HOWEVER....I have to disagree with the mention of obnoxious fans. Your idea of obnoxious and mine are certainly different. Smoking pot, drinking in public, making vulgar remarks and public drunkeness ARE BEYOND OBNOXIOUS!!!! IT IS AGAINST THE LAW and VERY VERY DANGEROUS!!! Painting your face with your school colors, taking your shirt off when it is 20 degrees below zero, running around the stadium carring your school flag is obnoxious! It is a shame for Melrose because they are a good team and their fans ruin it for them!

what you have to understand is that perception is true to the beholder.....what a person perceives, whether you agree or not, is valid to that viewer........

the facts speak for themselves....the city of memphis is not a safe place.....they have the highest crime rate in the state, and one of the highest in the nation.....black or white, that is not anything to be proud of........the saddest part is that memphis is high on the list for the number of juvenile deaths, due to gang drive bys....

it is a sad reflection of the attitudes of the local community when you tolerate and look the other way when fans openly smoke dope and drink alcohol at a high school game.........

on a positive note, for the white house fans, i have been to melrose games quite a few times, and i have never seen an act of violence when our school was playing....nor did i have a problem with my wife attending......

i would urge you to use caution with your children......if you do not want them exposed to people smoking dope and drinking alcohol at a high school game, then leave them at home...

Melrose is a school with a lot of tradition, pride, and community support. I have no problem being surrounded by african american people. I have no problem taking my children to the game - not to say that i didn't have a talk with them before we got there about the kind of atmosphere they would be in. I think it is great that a high school team in the city of memphis has the community support that they have; it is something rarely seen within the city limits.

That said, some of their "rabid fans" carry things a little too far. As stated by others, smoking pot and drinking alcohol are illegal...everyone knows it is going on, definitely can't mistake the smell in the atmosphere. Over the years, i have been to football games at melrose several times and the smell is always there. why doesn't the police department or the school administration even attempt to do anything about it? has it just become accepted behavior?

"Rabid fans" can cheer for their team as much as they want; they can even sit on the opposing team's side and cheer for their team. But when they stoop to the level of standing behind the opposing team's bench and shouting obscenities at the players and the coaches they have gone beyond being "rabid fans". And I am not talking about the teenagers walking around the track...there are just as many adults surrounding the track as teenagers, and for the most part they are the ones doing the talking.

I have never felt "unsafe" at a game at Melrose. I have never been afraid to be there. All week, when people would make that type of comment about going to the game, I would tell them it would be a great game, great atmosphere, and there was nothing to be afraird of. Although I have never felt unsafe, I have been disgusted at the behavior of many of their fans - mainly the so-called adults...and it has nothing to do with their skin color and everything to do with their behavior. Like you said, every team has "obnoxious" fans, but as soso said, your definition of obnoxious and ours must be very different.

I have never seen an act of violence at any of the games I have been at either. The current coaching staff does a great job with their players. The problems aren't on the field - they are in the stands or on the track.

crc....good post. I was there last Friday for my first ever trip to Orangemound and I had no problems.

kwc....Most of the people I met or encountered(and I hung around and talked to several folks) were very nice. In fact a lot of people went out of theur way to welcome me. However, there were a group of Melrose fans that were obviously drinking at the game. They were constantly yelling at JCM fans. When Melrose made a great play their favorite thing to yell would be "Take your S### back to Jackson." It didn`t matter to them that this was a high school game and that there were small kids around.

It`s one thing to describe fans as rabid, but these guys were just inexcusable. If JCM fans had acted like that I would have told them to shut up because they are representing the school I support.

Other than that I agree with your post. folks should not be on here inferring that a trip to the mound is a death wish. It`s a great place to see a game. Good competition and a good (for the most part)atmosphere.

Good Luck to you guys.

Melrose is a school with a lot of tradition, pride, and community support.  I have no problem being surrounded by african american people.  I have no problem taking my children to the game - not to say that i didn't have a talk with them before we got there about the kind of atmosphere they would be in.  I think it is great that a high school team in the city of memphis has the community support that they have; it is something rarely seen within the city limits.

That said, some of their "rabid fans" carry things a little too far.  As stated by others, smoking pot and drinking alcohol are illegal...everyone knows it is going on, definitely can't mistake the smell in the atmosphere.  Over the years, i have been to football games at melrose several times and the smell is always there.  why doesn't the police department or the school administration even attempt to do anything about it?  has it just become accepted behavior?

"Rabid fans" can cheer for their team as much as they want; they can even sit on the opposing team's side and cheer for their team. But when they stoop to the level of standing behind the opposing team's bench and shouting obscenities at the players and the coaches they have gone beyond being "rabid fans".  And I am not talking about the teenagers walking around the track...there are just as many adults surrounding the track as teenagers, and for the most part they are the ones doing the talking.

I have never felt "unsafe" at a game at Melrose.  I have never been afraid to be there.  All week, when people would make that type of comment about going to the game, I would tell them it would be a great game, great atmosphere, and there was nothing to be afraird of.  Although I have never felt unsafe, I have been disgusted at the behavior of many of their fans - mainly the so-called adults...and it has nothing to do with their skin color and everything to do with their behavior.  Like you said, every team has "obnoxious" fans, but as soso said, your definition of obnoxious and ours must be very different.

I have never seen an act of violence at any of the games I have been at either.  The current coaching staff does a great job with their players.  The problems aren't on the field - they are in the stands or on the track.

825443269[/snapback]

I feel a strong need to weigh in on this topic. I am on old school baller that was born and raised in the Orange Mound Community. I played football and basketball for the Melrose Golden Wildcats thirty years ago! I have wtnessed inappropriate behavior by fans from a number of places going back to before many of you were born. This behavior has spanned all races, creeds & colors. As long as there are people, inappropriate behavior will be around. Orange Mound is not an exception and last night's situation in Detroit is a prime example.

11 NFL players including 5 currently in the league, have worn the maroon and gold and displayed their talents on the field where White House and Melrose will battle for the right to play for the state championship. Look at the doughnut and not what you peceive as the hole. Come to Melrose and enjoy what is sure to be a great game.

On next friday, 4 excellent well coached, diciplined, undefeated, and hard working teams will meet in the 4A semi-finals and it will be settled on the field. What a wonderful time and place to witness a high school football game. Enjoy and welcome to Orange Mound!

I agree with you Melrose is a great program. I also agree Melrose is not the only place with the fans behave questionably and inappropriate behavior spans all races, creeds, and colors. That is why I said the feeling of disgust had nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with behavior. However, in the 25 years I have been going to high school games Melrose is the only place I have ever been where they openly drink alcohol and smoke pot...without any fear!!!!!!!! I, too, think the game between Melrose and White House will be a great one...hope you are able to get away from Texas and see the game.

Ditto....Melrose DOES have a great football program, no one is taking away that....the point that 11 NFL Players have worn the maroon and gold have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the fact that it is not a good situation to be in where there are rude, drunk adults having inappropriate behavior at a high school football game and NOTHING is being done about it....I know that there are a lot of very nice people from Melrose and I hate that it is being tarnished by those who act and behave so unappropriately. The fact still remains the same....it is not a wonderful place to watch football.