white house loses to Melrose

kwc

for melrose to win this game, they will have to play smart, commit no turnovers or penalties.......... that will be a challenge for them.....

the last time melrose played a team that executes as well as white house, well, that was when white house beat melrose in 1997....and what was that score?

there is no doubt that melrose has more talent than most any team in the state....but when you meet the blue devils in the semis,  it is going to take a lot more than talent...

for those that don't know anything about white house, let me give you some facts....the blue devils are not a team that is normally blessed with a lot of talent or speed.... they rely on excellent coaching, strength, conditioning, smash mouth, heart, discipline and play execution......there is not another team in tennessee that executes as well as white house....now add to that mix an outstanding running back.....

melrose has not played a team like them this year.....

well, there was one team, not NEAR AS GOOD as white house, that plays the same style....that was dyersburg...and that game was way to close for melrose....

orange mound, nor the fans, will be a factor........melrose has something to say and white house has something to say...

it is talent vs old style.....this game will be great to watch and i will be there.....

melrose has the talent to win, but do they have the discipline? can they play 4 quarters without any turnover, penalties?

825445238[/snapback]

Well let's see.......,am I understanding you to say Melrose has talent and speed but falls short to White House in the areas of coaching, strength , conditioning, heart, discipline and play execution? Oh I forgot.......also play error free football for 4 quarters. Wow......what an observation....with a blueprint for victory too! You have missed your calling!

Is this the same White House team with 3 turnovers against Overton? Oh I'm sorry, Overton was problably bettter coached, stronger, more conditioned, but less talented than Melrose. Man....we're really fortunate that the game will be settled on the field. Talent vs. Old Style......? What a funny post by a funny person. I'm sure you will have them in stiches all the way to the game.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe you missed your calling....

not sure what it would be, but being an acurate judge of people or their knowledge would not be one for you....

nowhere did i state that melrose is poorly coach.....

i simply was telling you about white house.....

melrose does not play old sytle......if you think so, then you know nothing of the game.......regardless if you played or not......

melrose thrives on talent and exploiting their talent and speed in a wide open offensive scheme....

white house pounds the ball on the ground, plays field position, and plays to limit turnovers and plays to take advantage of your turnovers....

that is old style football that melrose does not play...

that is exactly what you are going to get a dose of friday night....

old style, new style...whatever

melrose has a pretty good running game to go along with their passing game. white house better come ready to keep up with that exploitation of talent and speed or they may be in for a long night.

what coach wouldn't exploit their talent and speed?????????

Melrose`s kicking game is horrible. At least it was against JCM. That will hurt them big time. A botched punt snap that turned into a 75 yard TD run by the Melrose punter saved Melrose against JCM. Other wise JCM wins that game

When the punter did get one off it wasn`t very good. The kicker is not good either.

Melrose does have a very good defense though.

maybe you missed your calling.... 

not sure what it would be, but being an acurate judge of people or their knowledge would not be one for you....

nowhere did i state that melrose is poorly coach.....

i simply was telling you about white house.....

melrose does not play old sytle......if you think so, then you know nothing of the game.......regardless if you played or not......

melrose thrives on talent and exploiting their talent and speed in a wide open offensive scheme....

white house pounds the ball on the ground, plays field position, and plays to limit turnovers and plays to take advantage of your turnovers....

that is old style football that melrose does not play...

that is exactly what you are going to get a dose of friday night....

825445647[/snapback]

My first sentence was a question. Also if White House's football excellence this year is based on (your chioce of words), great coaching, heart, dicipline, etc and Melrose thrives on talent and speed (also your words), and you are picking White House to win (of course unless Melrose plays mistake free), then logical deduction leads us to the following:

Melrose's lack of dicipline and problem "playing smart" will challenge their abilities to utilize what you say are its strengths which are "talent and speed" (your choice of words). I did not say you said that Melrose was not well coached etc. but that you inferred they were along with those other qualities you mentioned, to a lesser degree than White House. My post read as follows:

"am I understanding you to say Melrose has talent and speed but falls short to White House in the areas of coaching, strength , conditioning, heart, discipline and play execution?"

Last year's Melrose team was the explosive one. This team is more defense oriented and our rebuilding year. How closely have you watched their games this year?

I know White House is an outstanding team. I also know they are well coached. I was at the State Championship game that White House won against Melrose and felt that then Melrose coach at the time, Coach Thompson, was out coached.

I also know how well coached and all the other intangibles you mentioned the current Melrose team is. The final 4 this year is comprised of 4 undefeated, well coached, disciplined, and outstanding teams. All of them can play.

White House is not beyond turning the ball over as illustrated in the 3 turnover Overton game. What makes you think thay can't have 3 turnovers on Friday too.

So you can be pro White House all you want. However, your points have holes in them and are controversial to say the least.

Edited by orangemoundwest

Melrose is VERY well coached.  Ingram, Cobb, Cowley and the rest of the staff not have only done a fantastic job with these guys, they are getting better each week.

Also, their kicking game IS a little suspect.  But with a defense like that, who needs a kicking game.

825445860[/snapback]

Thanks Coach for the props. As a true Golden Wildcat 4 life, it's appreciated. The kicking game has been an issue for us for the past three years and possibly cost us a shot at the title last year and the year before. I talked to Coach Ingram this summer while at the Melrose reunion and he told me we would be good. After losing so many ballers from last year's team, this is amazing for a rebuilding or reloading year.

let me start out saying that this is the first time ever i have posted anything on this website. I usually just read what you all post on here. On this topic I have to say something. I have played against melrose in orange mound and at the school i played at. It was the worst atmosphere i have ever seen. The players run around the field taunting you before the game. I had beer bottles thrown at my head when walking off the field for half time. there seemed to be a green cloud above the field from all the pot that was being smoked. When melrose scored one time I looked up behind the field goal post and some guy had a 40 of beer and pulled his pants down and mooned us. I grabed the official and told him to look. He looked at me and said theres nothing we can do. They tried to flip our bus over after the game. We took cops down there with us and there was nothing they could do, they threatened us after the game and also when we kicked a field goal some little kid picked the ball up and headed off with our ball. Its the worst place ever to play football. In a game of this magnitude (semifinals, which was what we played them in both years) it should be on a neutral field. They are horrible fans. White House i hope you beat melrose pretty bad. Just look out if you do bc it will be hard to make it out of there peacefully.

Listen, if you are not a White House fan, why don't you start another thread if you are going to disparage Melrose and their fans. It's one thing if the fans are talkin' a little trash to each other, but this is something else, entirely.

I'm looking forrward to my trip. Sounds to me the experience will be what high school football is about.... Two proud programs, competing for the opportiunity to play one more game.

We will bring a bunch of fans to the game. I would hope the Melrose fans will be hospitabe, just as all fans and schools are. Fans means money, and what school doesn't need the extra funds.

Hope the weathers good, 'cause I believe the football will be.

Before I get into the up and comming game, I want to vent about the negative impressions I been getting after reading certain posts about Orange Mound. Yes ... Orange Mound is in the middle of Urban Memphis. For those who didn't understand what I just said let me break down that last comment ... It's in the middle a predominate african american neighborhood. I have read countless post that have not come out and said it, but they have inferred that comming to Melrose stadium isn't safe. My question to them ... safe for who? *sigh* It's sad that I even have to address this ... but I'm getting a little fed up with people trying to make it seem that if you are 'not from the hood' you are not welcome into Melrose stadium for a HS football game. That is farthest from the truth. IF you have a problem being in a sea of african american people who are rabid fans of their neighborhood HS football team, then ok ... fine ... be like that. IF you are NOT afraid to be in a place where the number of african americans will probably outnumber you 3:1, or 4:1 ... then come on down and have a great time! HERE IS A NOVEL IDEA ... why not get to meet somebody you don't know and talk about high school football and how good it is in the west part of Tennessee!!!! Melrose stadium is a great place for a HS football game. The stadium is old, and the field is overused due to the Pee-Wee football league that played on it, earlier in the saeson, from 8 AM to 6 PM on Saturdays. Yes ... Melrose will have some obnoxios fans in the crowd. What HS football team doesn't? Yes ... the track surrounding the field will be filled with roaming african american teenagers ... that's what teenagers do ... it's hip to be seen at the Melrose games if you are a teenager. I invite the White House faithfull to mill around after the game and get to meet some of the people ... they are really nice.

Look ... you can come to Melrose stadium with some pre-concieved idea's about being in an urban surrounding ... or you can come to Melrose stadium expecting to see a very good football game. How you enjoy the experience is up to you. Just leave any pre-concieved notions you have at home and treat it like another game ... just in the CITY of Memphis.

I'm looking forward to the White House fans comming to the game, I pray you all have a safe and wonderful trip. I'm not rooting for you to win ... lol ... but I am hoping you bring a large and loud crowd! Let's have some fun Friday night!

Any predictions? This is a treat. We get to see two Mr. Football Finalist for Back in this game. Greg Cooper from Melrose and Mr. Ladd from White House. White House gets to see Mr. Greg Hardy, the Melrose Mr. Football finalist for lineman. If you are wondering ... Greg Hardy is #52, and he plays MLB. They call him 'Baby Ray' in the stands, that's short for baby Ray Lewis. Greg Cooper is #28, and he is also the punter ... and if need be, he plays CB.

This is going to be a great game ... see you on Friday!

Uhhh..... Are you from Memphis? I dont know if you know this but Memphis aint the safest part of town, and when you get into, Orange Mound, Frayser, Raliegh, Mid- town its not the safest part to be in at night. No it aint hip to be seen at a Melrose game, its hip to be seen walking out of a Melrose game. Ive had friends been beaten at games like those at Melrose, etc. I dont know what your talking about, safe to go to a Melrose game. I got a friend who goes to Craigmont and he wont even go to their home games because hes scared that he will be hurt. And all yall about them smoking dope, drinking, and yelling profanity, this is Memphis, Id figure yall would be use to it, it happens and Memphis and nobody says or cares about it. If not then go work downtown, or go to a Grizz or Tiger game.(even though better then a Melrose,etc. game, still they shout and are drunk)

My prediction, Melrose by 10.

Edited by the muffin man