white house loses to Melrose

kwc

what you have to understand is that perception is true to the beholder.....what a person perceives, whether you agree or not, is valid to that viewer........

the facts speak for themselves....the city of memphis is not a safe place.....they have the highest crime rate in the state, and one of the highest in the nation.....black or white, that is not anything to be proud of........the saddest part is that memphis is high on the list for the number of juvenile deaths, due to gang drive bys....

825443218[/snapback]

The vast majority of Memphis *IS* safe. In fact, I'd say during the day, almost all of Memphis is perfectly safe. You just need to know where you're going and how to get there, and to act like you know what you're doing.

Yes, our crime rates are well above average both in the state and nationally. But the way you and a lot of other people not from around here try to make it sound, you're putting your life at risk when you set foot in the city limits. That's simply not the case. Yes, stuff happens. But my family and I have lived here over 20 years and we've only been the victim of one crime -- while I was out of town on a church trip, somebody broke three windows of my car with a baseball bat. That kind of stuff happens everywhere.

Yes, we have a crime problem, and it's a serious one in some parts of town, but it's nowhere near as bad as a lot of people try to make it seem like.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh* ~~~~ Maybe I should just try and start another thread about the up-and comming GAME. You know ... predictions ... game plans ... stuff like that. From what I can see, there are 2 Melrose fans on here posting, orangemoundwest and myself. I've read some post from some others who think Melrose will win the state tittle, but most of these people aren't Melrose fans. Some are 'WEST' Tennessee football fans. Some are from the east wanting to see Melrose play Maryvillle ... if Maryville beats THS. I can garuntee this ... orangemoundwest and I will not instigate any smack talk. White House has proven to be a winner. Melrose will have it's hands full trying to stop their Mr. Football finalist in Mr. Ladd, as well as, tryin to score on their defense.

I have yet had anybody from White House to answer any of my questions about what White House likes to do offesively or defensively. What kind of formations do you guys operate out of? What's your best defensive package? Who are players to watch out for? Can we talk about FOOTBALL? SHEESH!!!!!

orangemoundwest, have you seen the game film yet? If so, you will notice that Courtney Maddison, #11, did not play @ QB in the Ridgeway game. I was told that he has an infection in a toe that was pretty serious, so Monte Wilson, #14, Cedrick Wilson's little brother,  played QB during the game.  I was told pre-season that Monte was the better QB, and he looked pretty good in the game. I know that Monte is an excellent reciever. I don't know if Courtney or Monte will be the QB during the White House game.

825443916[/snapback]

kwc...i am sure you probably saw this in the commercial appeal but the article about the game talked about wilson and his having to play qb in the game. pretty good story.

(http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/prep_sports/article/0,1426,MCA_480_3342723,00.html)

wilson did a great job friday night. hope madison recuperates and is able to play friday night...i know it had to be hard for him to be on the sidelines at this point in the season.

crc

The Melrose coaching staff did a very good job of instilling confidence in the young man. Was it the second play of Melrose's 1st possession where he threw an interception? They came back later and called some more pass plays where he was effective. I thought he played really well considering the circumstances. I watched Cortney put on his gear after Monte threw the 1st INT, but the Melrose coaching staff acted as if he was invisible on the side lines, lol. He eventually found his crutches again and supported his teamates from the sidelines.

Well Whitehouse, both our teams are gonna be in Memphis. Good luck to ya'll Friday night...have good practices this week and I hope everyone has safe trips down there and back. Hopefully, next week we'll be in the 'Boro together....no jinxs though! :lol: Good luck to all the WhiteHouse guys! Play hard and stay focused! Greenbrier is cheerin for ya'll!!! thumb

Before I get into the up and comming game, I want to vent about the negative impressions I been getting after reading certain posts about Orange Mound. Yes ... Orange Mound is in the middle of Urban Memphis. For those who didn't understand what I just said let me break down that last comment ... It's in the middle a predominate african american neighborhood. I have read countless post that have not come out and said it, but they have inferred that comming to Melrose stadium isn't safe. My question to them ... safe for who? *sigh* It's sad that I even have to address this ... but I'm getting a little fed up with people trying to make it seem that if you are 'not from the hood' you are not welcome into Melrose stadium for a HS football game. That is farthest from the truth. IF you have a problem being in a sea of african american people who are rabid fans of their neighborhood HS football team, then ok ... fine ... be like that. IF you are NOT afraid to be in a place where the number of african americans will probably outnumber you 3:1, or 4:1 ... then come on down and have a great time! HERE IS A NOVEL IDEA ... why not get to meet somebody you don't know and talk about high school football and how good it is in the west part of Tennessee!!!! Melrose stadium is a great place for a HS football game. The stadium is old, and the field is overused due to the Pee-Wee football league that played on it, earlier in the saeson,  from 8 AM to 6 PM on Saturdays. Yes ... Melrose will have some obnoxios fans in the crowd. What HS football team doesn't? Yes ... the track surrounding the field will be filled with roaming african american teenagers ... that's what teenagers do ... it's hip to be seen at the Melrose games if you are a teenager. I invite the White House faithfull to mill around after the game and get to meet some of the people ... they are really nice.

Look ... you can come to Melrose stadium with some pre-concieved idea's about being in an urban surrounding ... or you can come to Melrose stadium expecting to see a very good football game. How you enjoy the experience is up to you. Just leave any pre-concieved notions you have at home and treat it like another game ... just in the CITY of Memphis.

I'm looking forward to the White House fans comming to the game, I pray you all have a safe and wonderful trip. I'm not rooting for you to win ... lol ... but I am hoping you bring a large and loud crowd! Let's have some fun Friday night!

Any predictions? This is a treat. We get to see two Mr. Football Finalist for Back in this game. Greg Cooper from Melrose and Mr. Ladd from White House. White House gets to see Mr. Greg Hardy, the Melrose Mr. Football finalist for lineman. If you are wondering ... Greg Hardy is #52, and he plays MLB. They call him 'Baby Ray' in the stands, that's short for baby Ray Lewis. Greg Cooper is #28, and he is also the punter ... and if need be, he plays CB.

This is going to be a great game ... see you on Friday!

825443175[/snapback]

I was at the Melrose game, and it was hardly a family atmosphere. First of all the ratio of whites to blacks was hardly 1:4. It was more around 1:100. I think that I was one of the eight white people at the game. I never in my life smelled so much marijuana. But that was not the only thing, half of the fans (who were sitting on the visiting side) were either drunk or still in the process of getting drunk. The Melrose fans were up in my face shaking their keys and yelling, "GET THE F*** OUT." It was a horrible experience, and at sometimes I even feared for my life. White House fans I strongly recomend not going to the game, but if you do I advise that you exit after the game immediately.

I'm going to the game and the atmosphere, although dangerous, won't have any effect on the team itself. If people do not travel to Memphis lets hope that yall can see them at MTSU. But i think we need to get off the atmosphere of Melrose and get talkin about what a great game this will be.

I haven't really been able to watch many highlights of the Melrose games, but i know that they are an extrememly good team. When you have 2 players taking up 2 of only 6 spots for the best players in the region u know u must be a pretty great team with alot of talent at least.

Will someone let me know about the team itself. How's their D? I'm guessin they run alot with their RB becuz of the honor of finalist of Mr. Football.

I'm concerned about Ricky Ladd because he seems to strugle against teams with alot of speed, like Pearl-Cohn (injured tho) and Columbia. But in those two games Defense won it for us.

Whoever said something about taking buses, where did u hear that from and are u talkin bout WHHS takin buses down there. I find that hard to believe if that is what your talking about. Concidering that they didnt want the cheerleaders and band going to the game at Pearl-Cohn becuz of safety issues.

for melrose to win this game, they will have to play smart, commit no turnovers or penalties.......... that will be a challenge for them.....

the last time melrose played a team that executes as well as white house, well, that was when white house beat melrose in 1997....and what was that score?

there is no doubt that melrose has more talent than most any team in the state....but when you meet the blue devils in the semis, it is going to take a lot more than talent...

for those that don't know anything about white house, let me give you some facts....the blue devils are not a team that is normally blessed with a lot of talent or speed.... they rely on excellent coaching, strength, conditioning, smash mouth, heart, discipline and play execution......there is not another team in tennessee that executes as well as white house....now add to that mix an outstanding running back.....

melrose has not played a team like them this year.....

well, there was one team, not NEAR AS GOOD as white house, that plays the same style....that was dyersburg...and that game was way to close for melrose....

orange mound, nor the fans, will be a factor........melrose has something to say and white house has something to say...

it is talent vs old style.....this game will be great to watch and i will be there.....

melrose has the talent to win, but do they have the discipline? can they play 4 quarters without any turnover, penalties?

Edited by mg