Alcoa vs. Huntingdon for the 2a State Championship

MarshPitManiac

Last years state championship was played in week 14 and everyone knows that except you. I cant believe you think Milan couldnt have whipped Lipscomb just as bad as you did. May I remind you again week 14 was a fluke? You brought it up, not me :) This year I dont know, probably not, Alcoa seems to be good.

825461022[/snapback]

Well Westtn, did Milan get a silver ball after their loss in week 14 last year? No one said that Milan couldn't have beaten Lipscomb, the comment was that he knew what the other guy was saying but that the championship game wasn't played that week.

Since you brought it up, week 14 was no fluke. I stated last year and will state it again since you can't accept it. The group of seniors that played last year beat Milan in the 8th grade, they beat them as freshmen, the only time that Milan beat that group when they were the main starters was in the regular season last year.

Huntingdon and Milan have played some great games over the years. Huntingdon has lost some games that they had a chance to win but I won't call the Milan win a fluke. Everytime they take the field both sides know it will be a hard fought contest. That is exactly the way it should be and that is what will take place Friday night. Alcoa may win,but just like Milan, they will know they have been in a fight the whole game.

As far as you and Gerry coming up with the perfect defense to stop Huntingdon, just realize that Boo and Chris are the ones carrying the ball they aren't the ones making the blocks. You can put a defensive player at the right place everytime and if he is laying on his back there isn't a whole lot he can do.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8th grade? Cmon now. Freshmen? Rod was playing with the varsity. In the regular season it was like 24-0 till you pulled out the bag of tricks so you didnt get blown out of the water. Milan picked a bad night to play thier worst game and Huntingdon played their best. Nuff said. On to the game at hand, Alcoa will have to cram the LOS. No one has done it to Huntingdon this year. I figure they will see it next year when they play Mitchell or Carver. 9 fast people on the LOS is hard to deal with.

8th grade? Cmon now. Freshmen? Rod was playing with the varsity. In the regular season it was like 24-0 till you pulled out the bag of tricks so you didnt get blown out of the water. Milan picked a bad night to play thier worst game and Huntingdon played their best. Nuff said. On to the game at hand, Alcoa will have to cram the LOS. No one has done it to Huntingdon this year. I figure they will see it next year when they play Mitchell or Carver. 9 fast people on the LOS is hard to deal with.

825461292[/snapback]

My point being, what do you base YOUR idea that it was a fluke. I will give Milan credit they had a great team, but Huntingdon also had a great team. How do you call it a fluke when a great team wins? I view it the same way this week. When two great teams play it is NEVER a fluke if either of them wins regardless of what has happened previously in that season.

Bertier and I are not the best of friends on here, but I can tell you all that he has a great understanding of the game folks.  When Huntingdon played Cheatham County in the second round of the playoffs the field was in awful shape from the rain that fell all week long.  Because of this the Mustangs tried to line up and run the football with Chris Donald all night long.  Donald impressed me with his running style (because he does run HARD) but in the end he only had a total of 54 yards rushing on 16 carries (which is only a 3ypc. average).  Everytime the Cubs put Huntingdon in a third and 5+ yards situation, the Mustangs ran the "jet sweep" with Weathers.  He was so fast that if he hit the corner it was going to be a big play.  I am pretty darn sure that without Weathers, Huntingdon does not score a single point against Cheatham's defense.  If Huntingdon is in a third down and 2 or less yards to go situation you can expect for Crocker to run the quarterback sneak on first sound.  BTW, Weathers ended the game against Cheatham with 134 yards on 17 carries and scored 2TD's.  The sad part about that is the fact that Cheatham did a pretty darn good job at containing Huntingdon's running game. 

I was about to throw away some old newspapers today when I noticed that some of Alcoa's season statistics were in last Friday's prep preview.  Here are some of their stats reported in last week's Tennessean:

Joei Fiegler- 1,389 yards passing and 17TD's/4INT's

Dustin Lindsay- 1,377 yards rushing and 38 regular season TD's

Brandon Warren- 476 recieving yards (Mr. Football Finalist)

Those are some pretty impressive stats and I read earlier that someone on here said that Huntingdon had beaten two high powered offenses on their way to this game.  The thing that I find funny is the fact that the person who said this was talking about Milan and Camden.  This may come as a huge suprise to you all but the best offense that Huntingdon has played in the postseason is Cheatham's offensive attack.  Milan's Daylan Walker is a terrific back, but the Bulldogs passing attack was pretty suspect.  Camden could make an argument because Josh and Byron Boyd may in fact be the best backfield in the entire state.  If Alcoa has a high powered offensive attack, then so does Cheatham folks and here are the numbers to support my argument:

Chris Langley- 75/140 for 1,440 yards passing and 19TD's/2INT's

Landon Jones- 219 carries for 1,527 yards and 21TD's

Austin Stokes- 23 receptions for 345 yards and 5TD's

Brandon Piper- 21 receptions for 438 yards and 6TD's

Donnie Thomas- 19 receptions for 498 yards and 8TD's

I strongly felt all season long that Cheatham had the best run/pass offensive attack in all of 2A and I can tell you all that Huntingdon completely shut that offense down.  If the Mustangs can shut out Cheatham, then they can definately do the same to Alcoa judging by the statistics.

825461017[/snapback]

These are stats before the playoffs. Not sure on the others but Lindsay is a little over 2000 now. I will post them after looking at today's Knox News Sentinal.

These are stats before the playoffs. Not sure on the others but Lindsay is a little over 2000 now. I will post them after looking at today's Knox News Sentinal.

825461406[/snapback]

If I remember correctly Huntingdon also fumbled away 3 more scoring oppurtunities inside the cheatam 30.

The thing that I find very entertaining about this thread is these two young fellas trying to come up with a defense to stop Huntingdon. Kevin Ward, Jeff Morris, etc. etc. must be morons. They should have asked you college kids. Huntingdon throws when they want to, you don't dictate that to them. Last friday night I sit in the stands and watched a drive that started from around the Mustang 20 with roughly 7 min and some change left on the clock. We all knew that if they didn't score on this drive, it was over. At some time during that drive I remember thinking," they'll have to throw the ball", it was third and 5. Still they ran. It was a sea of purple. In my mind all I could think was " Swenson, you're gonna have to let one fly down here or we're gonna run out of time" Huntingdon calls time out somewhere inside the milan 20 with just over a minute left. I think it was 3rd and five. I figured some kind of flood pass to at least take a shot at the end zone. Offtackle, touchdown. Since the Martin game in 97 I don't think i've witnessed a more methodical drive in high school football. And the best part, beating milan on Johnny heck field by 5 points. thumb