Alcoa vs. Huntingdon for the 2a State Championship

MarshPitManiac

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After giving it some thought, I suppose I do understand that Krystal burgers would be the "piece de resistance".  My wife is from Blytheville, Arkansas so I have made the journey through West Tennessee on the big I-40 several times.  Please pardon my ignorance and pass me the turnip greens! 

Just curious about the name Huntingdon.  Was the town named after some guy named Don that enjoyed hunting.  Given that this is Tennessee, wouldn't it have been named Huntin-Don instead of Hunting-don.  Just curious.  Please don't take offense to my poor attempt at humor. 

Again, best of luck.  thumb

825465263[/snapback]

It was named after an early settler named Mimican Hunt. Originally named Huntsville but found out there was a Huntsville, Alabama so they kept the name Huntingdon. We've been playing football since 1895. I have a picture of the 1918 team. A great-grandson plays on this year's Mustang team. (Babyface Maddox). I may be wrong but I think this is the 5th generation of Maddoxs playing for the Mustangs.

It was named after an early settler named Mimican Hunt. Originally named Huntsville but found out there was a Huntsville, Alabama so they kept the name Huntingdon. We've been playing football since 1895. I have a picture of the 1918 team. A great-grandson plays on this year's Mustang team. (Babyface Maddox). I may be wrong but I think this is the 5th generation of Maddoxs playing for the Mustangs.

Thanks for the info Blue Eyes. Alcoa was originally a mill town named after the company. The Aluminum Company of America. Not sure when the first football team was fielded but I think the school was started sometime in the thirtys. I'll have to do a little research.

I found info on the history of the school on the school system website, www.alcoaschools.net.

When the Aluminum Company of America and the Babcock Company moved into Blount County, they planned on building a city. They knew that without good schools, their city would not be successful. So they gave much thought, land, materials, and planning to the education of the citizens.

In 1916, the Babcock Company built Vose School, which was the first school in the city of Alcoa. Because of segregation, a one room school for black students was also built in 1916. A remodeled mule dormitory called the Mule Barn was the second school for the city.

The Springbrook School was completed in 1921 and put into operation as the first home for Alcoa High School. Bassel School was then built and opened in 1923.

During this time, the second floor of the commercial building on Hall Road had been the only school facility for black students in Alcoa. The Charles M. Hall School was completed and operational in 1926 to provide educational facilities for black students. After closing in 1970, the Charles M. Hall School became the home of Alcoa Middle School.

Springbrook School housed the Alcoa High School students until Alcoa High School was opened in 1939. The new Alcoa High School, which is adjacent to the old building was opened in 1964. After fire destroyed the Springbrook School in 1968, the new Alcoa Elementary School was built and opened in 1971. Through the years many changes have taken place. New schools, new ideas and new technologies have made the Alcoa School System one of the best in the State of Tennessee.

I found info on the history of the school on the school system website, www.alcoaschools.net. ....

825465319[/snapback]

This is to all Alcoa fans. I am a diehard OR Wildcats fan as is my wife. We have watched Alcoa do well this year and are quite glad for it!! From OR Wildcats to you, Go! Win! Bring it ALL home!

God Bless and peace to all. Dart.

Where has common sense gone? I am a Braves fan so I will never like the Yankees that was the comparision I was making. I know how small Huntingdon is I go through there alot, so I don't need you to tell me how small it is. Also in a tradition sense, Huntingdon could be compared to Yankees, you guys have been one of the most successful TN high school programs.

825464909[/snapback]

Gerry, this is probably your most insightful post to date. For once, I can agree with your point of view. If someone wants to dislike Huntingdon for their success, I don't have a problem with that. However, if you want to be objective in your comments about other teams you can't let that cloud your view on things.

Twas the night before the "ship" and all through H-town,

not a fan was left stirring, not even Blue Eyes the clown.

The banners were hung through our town to bring cheer

In hopes the "Gold Ball" soon would be here.

The Stangs were nestled all snug in their beds,

While visions of gold rings danced in their heads.

With ma in her gold and dad in his blue,

And the van loaded with Krystals hot from the drive thru.

We came to the Boro with one goal in mind,

To win us a championship the second of its kind.

With blue and gold shakers and milk jugs in hand,

We all scream loudly with our award winning band.

When out on the field there arose such a clatter,

We jumped from our seats to see what was the matter.

With Chris up the middle and Boo around end,

The tornado whooping was about to begin.