Upper East Tn. Football

WaCoJaCo

After the beating Tennessee High took at the hands of Maryville, and the year after year after year failure of DB to make it through the playoffs, I was wondering what everybody thinks the reasons are upper East Tn. teams can't get it done.

is it coaching ?

is it athletes ?

is it the lack of conditioning & training ?

Tell me what you'all think and I'll chime in later.

WaCo :blink: JaCo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe scheduling would help the upper East Tennessee teams.

That's not to say that there are never any good upper East Tennessee teams. The '98 Elizabethton team and the 2000 D-B team were both very good.

Go Rebs.

825454989[/snapback]

Excuse my ignorance… but how far did the 98 Cyclones go in the playoffs??? Did they play in the State Championship game?

Some teams have bad coaches. The lower level football is not up to par with other parts of the state. The teams are bad Unicoi, Boone, Sullivan Central, Johnson County, Sullivan East, South and Science Hill would go 2-8 every year if they did not get to play each other. If Region 1 teams had to play Region 3 teams the first round of the playoffs Region 3 might lose 1 or 2 games. Plus some teams play who ever has the richest parents and do not put the best players on the field.

Well I thought there would be more interest in this thread by now. Maybe thats part of the problem. Nobody really cares.

Actually I think theres a whole host of reasons why upper east tn. is laging behind the rest of the state. One is population, but even with that there should be at least one team from up here to win state at least once ever 20 years. Then, like THSVikings2004 said, there needs to be better programs to teach the younger kids the game. I know alot of you will say we already have that. But go check out how they do it in the areas where these teams are winning state championships. I bet it will change your mind.

Another thing is strenth and conditioning. I don't see that anybody up here has a program like the Maryville's and Riverdale's. DB just compleated a new field house, complete with dressing rooms and showers for athletes and a weight training room with all the latest machines. But without the propper trainer it won't do much good.

Then theres the coaching staffs. I know this will get some people riled-up, but it needs to be said. I don't know if we are not paying enough up here or what, but when a upper east tn. team hits the playoffs against a team west of here, seems like we always get out coached (badly).

Starsnbars was right about scheduling. But I don't see anybody up here heeding that advice. DB had two open dates and what did they do? They added Tn. High and Elizebethton. I don't see how that helps DB at all. And don't give me the gate excuse. A Maryville-DB or Mo. West-DB game would bring in a bigger gate. So its one step forward with the Field House and two steps backward with the scheduling. Never gonna' win a state championship like that.

I actually have more reasons, and will clue you in later.

WaCo :o JaCo

After the beating Tennessee High took at the hands of Maryville, and the year after year after year failure of DB to make it through the playoffs, I was wondering what everybody thinks the reasons are upper East Tn. teams can't get it done.

is it coaching ?

is it athletes ?

is it the lack of conditioning & training ?

Tell me what you'all think and I'll chime in later.

WaCo :angry: JaCo

825454707[/snapback]

Let me tell you one thing waco...you are clueless as to the talent these teams posess, you really need to STOP running your mouth about db, you are always talking good about us in the threads when we are winnning, but after our HARDFOUGHT battle and loss to oak ridge, all you have done is been bashing us on and on and in, and it makes me sick, you are no fan...you are a wanna be.

waco,

what was ur purpose in starting this thread...this is very classless, Db and Tn high weak...yeah right teams with records of 12-1 and 13-1 cannot be WEAK, come on man be serious. and the new field house was very warranted, have u seen db's facilities....i cant believe you

825455327[/snapback]

It's true what Waco said, I know Tennessee High is a good football team but I want them to be better prepared when they may face a team like Maryville again.

They said we had the athletes to win, but you need more than just the athletes, you need guidance and discipline, and yes competition.

Let's take a look at East for a second.

One of their elementary schools, Weaver, hasn't had a team in several years. A middle school that goes into East, Mary Hughes also doesn't have a football team. If they want to play they have to go to Bluff City. How can they execute properly with the majority of their players only having about 2-3 years experience in football before varsity rolls around?

PainTrain,

First off if you are sick, take a chill pill. You are clueless as to what this thread is even about. Go get your mother to read my post to you. And don't come on coacht telling me to stop running my mouth like your some little girl. I can't see where Im bashing DB, and i'll bet you im a bigger fan and have a lot more invested than you. I was prasing the new field house, I don't see what you see wrong in that. In your world DB is the greatest and don't need to improve. In my world I see Riverdale, Oak Ridge, Germantown, Maryville, and I want DB to get to that level. I see problems and I want to correct them. You see nothing. Im the real fan, and your the wanna-be. I never said anything bad about the players anywhere. I even stuck up for Nottingham and Williams when everybody else was bashing them. Read this: The players are not the problem. Lets see if you can prove anything I said to be untrue.

If you don't want to contribute to this discussion go back over to the basketball thread.