Upper East Tn. Football

WaCoJaCo

I think I addressed this earlier?? No support from the communities except for maybe Db and Volunteer. They absolutely have the best fan support I have seen anywhere around here. I think everyone in all of East Tennessee thumb needs to see Friday Nite Lights

Odessa Permian is the winningest team in high school history and there is a reason for it, the town is behind them no matter what, the parents support them no matter what, you have great coaches who encourage and are tough on those boys like the old days?hhhhmmmm none of the wussy stuff, they dont play politics like I have money my boy is playing right coach????? its earn your position and shut up this isnt pee wee league anymore, and why isnt my boy playing? well maybe hes not doing his job, and any number of other things i could come up with from what i have seen in football from pee wee at lynn garden on up to high school around here. Geez people let the coaches coach those boys, stay out of it, support those kids, love them, and be there for them but quit interfereing and please get some darned enthusiasm whether they win or lose.

And another thing, administrators quit taking their traditions away cause you dont like them or people complain about the noise, or kids painting their bellies and showing some school spirit. What happened to the good old days where a pep rally was every friday, a tail gate party every home game, homecoming mums, homecoming carnivals and parades, this is what I remember from my high school days in Texas, East Tennessee could take some lessons. And remember sometimes the truth hurts, but everyone here is a big kid right, you can take it. Just check out their teams website

http://kylgrafx.com/mojo/

They didnt have a great season this year but that doesnt stem their enthusiasm for their team.. I would like to see Coach T Fans take it to the stands and really show what support for our teams are, not just on here. This is a great community and its what it should be and I would like to see that in force at all our area schools Coach T standing up for all its boys. Dont ya think? I think that we could influence our fans in some way. Take it from here and think about it. We could become a tradition that would serve as a common bond with all the teams and makes for great friendly rivalry that is so much of what football games are about. Beating their friends at other schools and still come out being friends.

Edited by recruitguru

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeder programs are hindered in alot of small communities by SOCCER. Moms love for little johnny to play soccer its so healthy for him. But football he might get hurt. Football is a bad sport for america today. it will suffer in the future. We must make our young men as sensitive an unaggressive as possible. Aggression is bad unless your beating the heck out of someone weaker than you.

825463219[/snapback]

I really hate to comment on this subject because some highbrow/highpockets vegetarian will probably come on here and say what an uneducated redneck I am, but I must agree with Dream2Achev. Being from a very small ET town I have seen the effects of soccer being brought in and the sometimes devastation and always downgrade of the local football program when the mommies say O.K. to soccer and NO to American football. I really wish they would have left "futbol" in Europe, the Middle East, and all the hot blooded Latin speaking countries and it was as foreign to the USA as cobra snake charming. At least you never see crowds so crazy and wild at real football games that they trample and crush great numbers of people to DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upper East Tennesse does not need soccer to further weaken our football!!!!!!!

P.S. I haven't heard of an American football coach shooting and killing a referee either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ie. Brazil or somewhere in South America.

Edited by possumcop

possum--I think that is a valid point in some smaller towns. I have witnessed this in my wife's hometown in Indiana. Football was never real strong there, but it was further weakened when they started soccer. They used to win 4, 5 or 6 games a year in football. When the Y started a soccer program, they did well. It caught fire there and it is to the point now that there are over 30 boys in soccer and 28 in football. Obviously, they aren't very good.

But a counter point is the success of both football and soccer in the Knoxville area. Farragut, Oak Ridge and Bearden are excellent in soccer at the large school level, and Lenior City, Catholic and CAK at the smaller school level. With the exception of Bearden, all of those school had good years in football as well. I don't think Bearden's football problems are related to soccer. Knoxville is the hotbed of soccer in this state and the level of football in this area is outstanding as well.

Now, before you call me a tree hugging liberal, I'm not. But I think a strong football program with a good foundation can get along with a soccer program. Because soccer is a spring sport for the boys, they could play both if they wanted to.

After the beating Tennessee High took at the hands of Maryville, and the year after year after year failure of DB to make it through the playoffs, I was wondering what everybody thinks the reasons are upper East Tn. teams can't get it done.

is it coaching ?

is it athletes ?

is it the lack of conditioning & training ?

Tell me what you'all think and I'll chime in later.

WaCo ;) JaCo

825454707[/snapback]

HELLO!!!!!!

Like all the team that are going to be state champs are from East Tennessee how the heck can you call them weak?

Everyone talks of weakness bad athletes bad coaching. I do not see any teams playing with the likes of Riverdale, Maryville year in year out these are the best Tn. has to offer. Melrose is around about every 3 years.

Melrose is around every year. Check the records in fact Melrose has more pro athletes in the NFL right now than more than likely any high school in the country.

"possumcop," your posts on this thread are CLASSICS. You've made my day.

For the most part it is all the above (OK all the preceding pages). "SPEED" and "ATHLETE" are being thrown around. There are more people in the Central and Western parts of our Great State. More "TALENT." And there is more money. And there are BETTER football programs. And yes, they probably pay their coaches more.

I played a little football in high school, college; in the Marine Corps. I've played on teams where our team was simply better, or even Much Better than some of our opponents. I've played in games in which the other team was so much better that it was literally DANGEROUS to be on the field against them with our thirteen-to-sixteen man rosters (depending on who had to grade tobacco, or milk the cows that day). Which is why I get a little sensitive toward the "playing up" suggestion that so many make, whether they've played the game or not, suggesting that football really is "just like any other sport."

possumcop is RIGHT. We're rural. We're poor. We grow the best pot. And until very recently we actually took great PRIDE that we made the best moonshine. We're a little behind the curve in the football race; and considerable improvement doesn't seem to be in the works.

I don't think the recent accomplishments of Cloudland will ever be fully appreciated. Yes, they got blown out in the finals and handled in the semis the next season.

But Coach Lunsford took a team that averaged a couple dozen poor, slow kids, and for over a decade, managed to get them to compete at a level that, before, most of us would have labeled impossible.

So, why do I mention Cloudland? Certainly not because they're my favorite team, but because they have NO FACILITIES. They have NO MONEY. They concentrated on blocking and tackling for all those years. It served them well, at their level, and for their location. But he lacked the "athleticism" to hang in with the better teams down-state.

It is indeed a "TALENT" thing. I've seen a lot of great athletes over the years. I know for a fact that very few of them worked any harder than the not-so-good athletes. The greatest programs in College are successful, NOT because of their "facilities." They're successful because of their athletes, no matter the facilities. The facilities are one of the best recruiting tools in football.

Does this one sound familiar?: "Well, I chose The University of Tennessee because of their GREAT FACILITIES." Duhhh, and the University of Tennessee chose you.... ONLY becasue you're a great ATHLETE.

Why do you think that so many of our AAU programs (admittedly in other sports) do so well, regionally and nationally? Because they get to PICK-AND-CHOOSE.... ATHLETES.

If Charles Atlas taught us nothing else, he proved to us that it was, and still is NOT the facilities. Most of us already know that he NEVER lifted weights, right?

Edited by krichunaka