Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

Gentlemen,

We are mere hours from my favorite words: PLAAAAY BAAALLL!!!! Everyone be careful on the drive out and for those of you not making the trip, we'll yell extra loud for you! Here's to hoping the game is clean, the fans promote good sportsmanship and no one gets hurt. I'll see ya back here Sunday day!! thumb

GOOOO RED REBELS!!

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reminder somedude.... I'd almost forgotten to predict a score.

Okay, several things I think will be important in the game:

1. I don't think the Rebel offense can be stopped. That being said, they'll score more than Melrose has given up in one game this year. Melrose, I don't think, has a lot of experience playing from behind. Couple that with what seems to be a relatively unproductive offense and you're in trouble.

2. The Rebel defense will hold. They may give up a few, but they will be good enough for the offense to cover.

3. Experience. I've got to give the edge to the Rebels just because they've been there before. They've played the best from out West in their careers. Melrose cannot say the same about the East. Therefore, I think that MHS is less likely to be surprised and shellshocked at whatever they find the level of competition to be. Not saying Melrose will be surprised or shellshocked just stating that I believe MHS is LESS LIKELY to be.

4. Discipline. I'm not saying that Melrose does not have discipline, but I've never seen any program as disciplined as the Red Rebels. "When the team is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys," I'm counting on the Rebels to respond with authority. I'm counting on them to play just like they always do and thereby to prevail. I'm counting on them to stick to the game plan and to persevere with belief and faith. And, ignorantly perhaps, I'm counting on Melrose to abandon the one that brought them to the dance and act in desperation.

5. Coaching. There simply are NONE BETTER than those at MHS. They will have the team as prepared as possible. Melrose, I'm sure, will be prepared as well. But I cannot believe they will be more prepared.

Having said all that, my final prediction for this season is as follows:

Maryville Red Rebels - 31

Melrose Golden Cats - 17

I'm praying for everyone's safety on the trip, in the game and during the subsequent celebration to follow. I hope to see Ryan Tallent knock someone's cap off. I hope that Andrew Clement gets the opportunity to give another overexuberant post game interview following a stellar performance. I hope that Cade shows the state why he won Mr. Football. I hope that Melrose is all their fans have told us they are. Good luck to all.

[Okay, several things I think will be important in the game:

Papa Chois

1. I don't think the Rebel offense can be stopped. That being said, they'll score more than Melrose has given up in one game this year. Melrose, I don't think, has a lot of experience playing from behind. Couple that with what seems to be a relatively unproductive offense and you're in trouble.

2. The Rebel defense will hold. They may give up a few, but they will be good enough for the offense to cover.

3. Experience. I've got to give the edge to the Rebels just because they've been there before. They've played the best from out West in their careers. Melrose cannot say the same about the East. Therefore, I think that MHS is less likely to be surprised and shellshocked at whatever they find the level of competition to be. Not saying Melrose will be surprised or shellshocked just stating that I believe MHS is LESS LIKELY to be.

4. Discipline. I'm not saying that Melrose does not have discipline, but I've never seen any program as disciplined as the Red Rebels. "When the team is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys," I'm counting on the Rebels to respond with authority. I'm counting on them to play just like they always do and thereby to prevail. I'm counting on them to stick to the game plan and to persevere with belief and faith. And, ignorantly perhaps, I'm counting on Melrose to abandon the one that brought them to the dance and act in desperation.

5. Coaching. There simply are NONE BETTER than those at MHS. They will have the team as prepared as possible. Melrose, I'm sure, will be prepared as well. But I cannot believe they will be more prepared.

Melrose Golden Cats - 17

I hope that Melrose is all their fans have told us they are.  Good luck to all.

825466389[/snapback]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

papa chaois,

You've drawn a very BOLD conclusion and raised some interesting points.... Question: Have you seen Melrose play?

If so, then I think that you're in a unique position to provide a CREDIBLE review.

As such, I'll take your analysis @ face value.

If, on the other hand, you have NOT seen Melrose play... I think that your conclusion, while enlightening, is suspect--AT BEST. It is based on a FAULTY premise--a series of ASSUMPTIONS.

There is a 50/50 chance that your analysis may turn out to be accurate (COINCEDENTALLY). Meanwhile, I would like to offer a rebutal, simply to illustrate the FALLACY of your position:

1) "...Rebel offense can't be stopped...they'll score more than Melrose has given up in one game this year."

QUESTIONS:

-- How do you KNOW that the Rebel offense CAN'T be stopped?

-- Is it because they have not been stopped all year?

-- Is this notion being reinforced by Maryville's recent anialation of Tennessee (more on them, later). Afterall... if Maryville can put up 49 points on an undefeated, semifinal opponent...

-- Do you KNOW that Melrose's defense can NOT shut down Maryville's high-powred? Afterall...Melrose has allowed the FEWEST points of ALL 4A football teams...

-- Do you KNOW if Melrose does not MATCH UP better vs Maryville's type of offensive schemes (and personnel)?

-- Have you considered the POSSIBILITY that Melrose's defense MAY actually be the ONE defensive unit that CAN stop Maryville's high-powered offense?

-- Is it not COMMON (and accepted) knowledge that DEFENSE wins championships, not HIGH-POWERED offenses?

CONSIDER:

a) 1/28/01 -- Baltimore 34 NYG 7

B) 2/03/02 -- N.E Patriots 20 SL Rams 17

c) 1/26/03 -- Tampa Bay 48 Oakland 21

* d) 1/18/04 -- N.E. Patriots 24 Indianapolis Colts 14

* = conf. champshp

QESTION: What do ALL these SUPERBOWL games have in common?

ANSWER: The team that had the better DEFFESE (going in) WON.

The team that had the high-powered offense (going in)LOST.

2) "...Rebel defense will hold...(Melrose's) relatively unproductive offense..."

QUESTIONS:

-- How do you KNOW that the Rebels defense can hold Melrose?

--Do you KNOW if Melrose's offense is not MORE productive vs. Maryville's defensive personnel?

--Have you considered that Maryville's defense may not MATCH UP well against Melrose's offense or personnel?

3) "... Experience--edge Rebels..they have been there before..."

-- your first point about "experience" is bona fide--many of Maryville's players have, IN FACT, been to the championship game before. That experience is DEFINETLY a plus.

-- Your point about..." Maryville's played the best from west...Melrose can't say the same about the ease.." lacks credence.

QUESTIONS:

--Has THIS Maryville TEAM played THIS Melrose team?

--What does THIS (west) MELROSE team have to do with past (west) teams

--What does Maryville's past performance vs OTHER West teams have to do with current performance against THIS west team?

Papa Chois, I will not go into specifics relative to your other points about discipline and coaching. I will simply ask the SAME basic question:

How do you KNOW?

Please allow me to tell you what I DO know: DEFENSE usually wins championships. High-powered offenses usually do NOT...

My PREDICTION: Well... I simply do not have enough BONA FIDE data on which to base an intelligent prediction about this game--there are simply too many UNKNOWN factors that could determine its outcome!

Papa Chois, I APPRECIATE your taking the time to provide your assestment on the game. It was very interesting and entertaining, indeed. I would like to offer up this cautionary note, however:

Conclusions drawn upon faulty data are a fallacy and, therefore, lack merit.

A classic illustration of this unerring principle can be seen with Tennessee High School Football rankings, most noteably BEFORE 11-26-04. Tell me...are we to believe that the Tennessee Vikings (no offense, Tennessee fans) are REALLY the 2nd best 4A team in the State of Tennessee? I mean...really?

Thanks for your prayers of a safe commute, Papa Chois. You're a classy individual.... I look forward to a great game between to top-notch squads. Good luck to BOTH teams (of course I'll be pulling for the Golden Wildcats).

--TraderB

Edited by TraderB

[Okay, several things I think will be important in the game:

Papa Chois

Melrose Golden Cats - 17

I hope that Melrose is all their fans have told us they are. Good luck to all.

825466389[/snapback]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

papa chaois,

You've drawn a very BOLD conclusion and raised some interesting points.... Question: Have you seen Melrose play?

If so, then I think that you're in a unique position to provide a CREDIBLE review.

As such, I'll take your analysis @ face value.

If, on the other hand, you have NOT seen Melrose play... I think that your conclusion, while enlightening, is suspect--AT BEST. It is based on a FAULTY premise--a series of ASSUMPTIONS.

There is a 50/50 chance that your analysis may turn out to be accurate (COINCEDENTALLY). Meanwhile, I would like to offer a rebutal, simply to illustrate the FALLACY of your position:

1) "...Rebel offense can't be stopped...they'll score more than Melrose has given up in one game this year."

QUESTIONS:

-- How do you KNOW that the Rebel offense CAN'T be stopped?

-- Is it because they have not been stopped all year?

-- Is this notion being reinforced by Maryville's recent anialation of

Tennessee. Afterall... if Maryville can put up 49 points on an UNDEFEATED, semifinal opponent...

-- Do you KNOW that Melrose's defense can NOT shut down Maryville's high-powred? Afterall...Melrose has allowed the FEWEST points of ALL 4A football teams...

-- Do you KNOW if Melrose does not MATCH UP better vs Maryville's type of offensive schemes (and personnel)?

-- Have you considered the POSSIBILITY that Melrose's defense MAY actually be the ONE defensive unit that CAN stop Maryville's high-powered offense?

-- Is is not COMMON (and accepted) knowledge that DEFENSE wins championships, not HIGH-POWERED offenses?

CONSIDER:

a) 1/28/01 -- Baltimore 34 NYG 7

:angry: 2/03/02 -- N.E Patriots 20 SL Rams 17

c) 1/26/03 -- Tampa Bay 48 Oakland 21

* d) 1/18/04 -- N.E. Patriots 24 Indianapolis Colts 14

* = conf. champshp

QESTION: What do ALL these SUPERBOWL games have in common?

ANSWER: The team that had the better DEFFESE (going in) WON.

The team that had the high-powered offense (going in)LOST.

2) "...Rebel defense will hold...(Melrose's) relatively unproductive offense..."

QUESTIONS:

-- How do you KNOW that the Rebels defense can hold Melrose?

--Do you KNOW if Melrose's offense is not MORE productive vs. Maryville's defensive personnel?

--Have you considered that Maryville's defense may not MATCH UP well against Melrose's offense or personnel?

3) "... Experience--edge Rebels..they have been there before..."

-- your first point about "experience" is bona fide--many of Maryville's players have, IN FACT, been to the championship game before. That experience is DEFINETLY a plus.

-- Your point about..." Maryville's played the best from west...Melrose can't say the same about the ease.." lacks credence.

QUESTIONS

--Has THIS Maryville TEAM played THIS Melrose team?

--What does THIS (west) MELROSE team have to do with past (west) teams

--What does Maryville's past performance vs OTHER West teams have to do with current performance against THIS west team?

Papa Chois, I will not go into specifics relative to your other points about discipline and coaching. I will simply ask the SAME basic question:

How do you KNOW?

Please allow me to tell you what I DO know: DEFENSE usually wins championships. High-powered offenses usually do NOT...

My PREDICTION: Well... I simply do not have enough BONA FIDE data on which to base an intelligent prediction about this game--there are simply too many UNKNOWN factors that could determine its outcome!

Papa Chois, I APPRECIATE your taking the time to provide your assestment on the game. It was very interesting and entertaining, indeed. I would like to offer up this cautionary note, however:

Conclusions drawn upon faulty data are a fallacy and, therefore, lack merit.

A classic illustration of this unerring principle can be seen with Tennessee High School Football rankings, most noteably BEFORE 11-26-04. Tell me...are we to believe that the Tennessee Vikings (no offense, Tennessee fans) are REALLY the 2nd best 4A team in the State of Tennessee? I mean...really?

Thanks for your prayers of a safe commute, Papa Chois. You're a classy individual.... I look forward to a great game between to top-notch squads. Good luck to BOTH teams (of course I'll be pulling for the Golden Wildcats).

--TraderB

825466810[/snapback]

I dont know about Papa, but I do know that the Maryville offense can't be stopped. Melrose is inferior to the Maryville team, and they will give up many points in the air. Melrose has not seen a good air attack, and the Rebels will show them one tomorrow night. YOu are thinking too much Trader, just know this one fact, Maryville can't be stopped, and WE WILL BEAT YOU.

I dont know about Papa, but I do know that the Maryville offense can't be stopped.  Melrose is inferior to the Maryville team, and they will give up many points in the air.  Melrose has not seen a good air attack, and the Rebels will show them one tomorrow night.  YOu are thinking too much Trader, just know this one fact, Maryville can't be stopped, and WE WILL BEAT YOU.

825466898[/snapback]

It's posts like this that make me abandon my normal neutrality (I don't have a 4A team, I don't care about 4A) for this game and say GO MELROSE!

Trader...too many Melrose fans are taking the simple conclusions and guesses of Maryville fans and trying to consider them as credible and something that Maryville is banking on. Its not, they are just that...our opinions of whats going to happen. Now, while your defense arguement might be a decent one, its still not extremely valid....why? Because in most cases it takes a BALANCED team to win the championship, not a great offense or a great defense, but a good one of both. Maryville has that. Hillsboro was a defensive juggernaut a few years back (side note: I know...you're not Hillsboro, but thats beside the point) they shut down just as many teams as this Melrose team has. They had great athletes and great position players. Yet, Maryville put up more points on them then any team did all season...what won that game? Defense, whos? Maryville's! How? A linebacker for Maryville intercepted a Hillsboro pass in the final minutes of the game. When you have a team such as the Hillsboro team of a few years back, which seems to be (from what I've heard) much like this Melrose team, in order to beat them you have to force them to do what they do poorly. In this instance its to score a lot of points. Sure, you have to go through the defense of Melrose, but if history tells us anything, Maryville will get its points. I did a little research, since 2001, thats 58 games, Maryville has been held to UNDER 21 points only 3 times. Only one team has done it twice, and thats Morristown West. Not to mention that two of those games were on a sloppy field. Maryville in this span has NEVER been held under 14 points. This is why we think that our offense cannot be stopped. Is this ignorant? No...why? We're going to think that our offense can't be stopped until someone steps up and actually stops us! So if Melrose wants to be the one then tomorrow they get their chance to walk the walk. Do Maryville fans think that Melrose's defense will stop them? No, no we don't! *Note: When we say that we don't think that Melrose's defense will stop us, we don't mean that we'll be able to march up and down the field at will. Instead we mean that Melroses defense won't be able to shut us down, especially to under 14 points.

This will be good.

Maryville will have just another good HS football game. 11 against 11. Good execution by the Red Rebels on both sides of the ball and they win in another blow out 55 - 17.

Poor execution on one side or the other, BlackSwarm wins 42 - 35.

Poor performance on both sides and the OT score will be 38 - 35 Maryville.

Just an optomistic observation,

Reguards to the Board,

Mapp

Edited by mapperman