Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

Melrose played Melrose football, except for the offense. Ive never seen such an unproductive wildcat bunch from there in a looooooong time. Their defense was stout and it looked like Maryville wasnt that good really. I was really surprised to see Melrose #28 break away down the sideline and then get run down by #2 from Maryville. Really weird. I thought if a Melrose player got in the open field it would be over with. In my thinking, Melrose should have had a better QB in the game. I heard that they had a better QB at the wideout positon? Numerous occasions Melrose was open deep and across the middle but the Qb was too small and too short to see anything down field? Opinions? I knew Maryville wouldnt walk all over Melrose. Melrose should have gotten that first down when it was 4th and short but ironically, they came up inches short.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melrose played Melrose football, except for the offense. Ive never seen such an unproductive wildcat bunch from there in a looooooong time. Their defense was stout and it looked like Maryville wasnt that good really. I was really surprised to see Melrose #28 break away down the sideline and then get run down by #2 from Maryville. Really weird. I thought if a Melrose player got in the open field it would be over with. In my thinking, Melrose should have had a better QB in the game. I heard that they had a better QB at the wideout positon? Numerous occasions Melrose was open deep and across the middle but the Qb was too small and too short to see anything down field? Opinions? I knew Maryville wouldnt walk all over Melrose. Melrose should have gotten that first down when it was 4th and short but ironically, they came up inches short.

You have to be kidding me - "maryville wasn't that good really"??? I bet you WERE suprised to see a Melrose player run down. Guess we're not as slow as you thought huh? Maryville won, because they were the best all around team. Defenses were pretty even. I was impressed with Melrose's bend but don't break defense. That's it. They didn't score more because our defense is just as good. Maryville drove on melrose many times, only to come up empty - props to Melrose, but if you look at the stats, Maryville was the best team. I guess West Tennessee isn't as tough as you thought it was. Blount Co. - 2 gold balls. All of West Tennessee - ZERO.

825468695[/snapback]

C'mon. Maryville had the most diversified offense I've seen. They are a good team. What Melrose did defensively was amazing. Maryville had the short field the whole game and couldn't put points on the board. Stats don't mean squat, points do.

If Melrose would have done some of the things offensively(in the passing game) they did against White House they would be state champs right now. They rolled the QB out every time. Maryville only had to defend half the field. They also didn't do anything to let the QB create plays with his feet, and in a defensive game, the Melrose QB needed to be the difference with his feet, not with his arm.

Congrats to Maryville. They played the game they needed to win. Their QB could have become frustrated and make some mistakes because Melrose covered the pass pretty well, but he didn't. I don't know how much Maryville runs the option/ pitch, but it was the difference.

825468695[/snapback]

Maryville not that good :o:):blink:

Maryville was good enough to shut down the Melrose offense. Like TrueRebelPlaya said. I bet no one thought Steven Childs would catch Graig Cooper. Maryville has more speed and athletes than everyone thinks. Maryville's defense was good enough to hold to hold Alcoa to 12 points. Alcoa's other 6 points came on a kickoff return. That is the same Alcoa team who lit up Huntington for over 600 yds and 52 points. This is the same Huntington team that put your team out of the playoffs.

The QB rolled out becuase he is too short. Dandy82, I guess yall should have covered the whole field huh? Roll out screen worked well. Got 6. Only if Melrose had not shanked the XP. Im not downing Maryville, I just thought they would be a lot better because ive seen their past teams. Why would I down Maryville...A MILAN native is on your team. Jeffery Smith. Rod Smiths cousin. Jeff Smiths Son. The great Jeff Smith that played at UT. I didnt mean to say they were just not good, I meant to say that they looked down compared to the other past teams that won the state. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Quarles was right in not going for the field goals actually, because if Melrose had actually been able to execute their offense, they would not have been kicking field goals.  If the game had gone like the coaches had though, they needed more points than field goals were going to give them to keep up with Melrose, so they thought.  Obviously Melrose couldnt get much going on offense, due to Maryville's stellar defensive performance.  Here is some advice Melrose FIND A KICKER   and maybe you wouldnt lose by 1 point so many times.  It was clearly obvious who was the better team, and seeing that gold ball lifted in the air was magnificent.  Melrose, go back to orange mound and try again next year.

825468866[/snapback]

Are you serious? Lack of respect would clarify you.

i couldnt agree more somedude. ive seen that gold ball in the air from on the field and in the stands, and i held the trophy this year, that is probably the greatest memory ill have of high school, holding the golden ball as a senior. well melrose you just couldnt get the job done. matt valentine and gary tucker ate your lunch all day long and just think, they'll be back next year! but you wont, so it doesnt matter...

westtn2004state,

i think you might be jealous because west tennessee didnt bring home a golden ball this year, its ok maybe you will get one next year but probably not. and yes he is serious, deal with it.

i couldnt agree more somedude.  ive seen that gold ball in the air from on the field and in the stands, and i held the trophy this year, that is probably the greatest memory ill have of high school, holding the golden ball as a senior.  well melrose you just couldnt get the job done.  matt valentine and gary tucker ate your lunch all day long and just think, they'll be back next year! but you wont, so it doesnt matter...

westtn2004state,

i think you might be jealous because west tennessee didnt bring home a golden ball this year, its ok maybe you will get one next year but probably not.  and yes he is serious, deal with it.

825468891[/snapback]

Post like this one disgust me. Any Maryville Pplayer will tell you Melrose deserves that Gold Ball just as well as they do. Both teams gave it their all. One play could of and actually did change the outcome of the game. Rebelraider how about you leanr to be humble in victory, it will make your program look so much better. i think each team gave out their fair share of licks, actually I would say Melrose gave out more. Melrose was outcoached yes, outplayed NO. The game could of went either way.

825468695[/snapback]

Westtn,

I'm a Melrose fan. I was at the game. Maryville was the better team, yesterday, IMO. They outplayed us. The outcoached us. They deserved to win.

As for the QB observation...I agree. Madison couldn't see the field well enough to hit optional receivers. In fact, midway thru the 3rd qtr, several fans and I were discussing this very thing! We concluded that the coach should have inserted the TALLER, superior PASSING QB, Wilson, to replace Madison(nothing personal).

Maryville was stuffing our running game. We needed to open things up more, with the pass. We did not. Madison was missing (not seeing) many open receivers. Our coaching staff did not adjust to this development. You see, this was the FIRST time all year long that ANY team had shut our running game down and consistently as Maryville. This was obvious to all of us. Thus, this was the first time Madison's inherent weakness was exposed: he's too short (again, nothing personal) to be a QB.

I think the coaching staff held out hope that sooner or later Cooper or Madison would break one for a TB, as usual. In fact, Madison was actually playing true to his season-long form (except, he didn't scramble as much). All the while, being mindful that QB Madison had led them successfully to an undefeated season and a berth in the state final.

Well, Maryville did not cooperate.

Sure, Maryville outplayed us yesterday. They outcoached us. Yet we STILL had a golden opportunity to win that game. Our coaching staff just did not make enough adjustments on the offensive side of the ball, to take advantage of that opportunity (see my earlier post # 310, pg 20).

For the record, I'm NOT criticizing Melrose's coaches! Im NOT saying that Coaches LOST the game (they don't play; the PLAYERS do). I KNOW that you don't get to be 14-0, and lose only 5 games in 4 years by having lousy coaching. I'm just stating my opinion of what I observed at the game. I'm simply saying that, IMO, Melrose's offense got too conservative...

Tell me... am I the ONLY person out who thinks that Melrose BADLY needed to make some sort of adjustments to open up its offense, last Saturday? Am I?

Am I surprised at this lack of offensive adjustment? No!

You see, Melrose's play selection/decision-making has OFTEN been out of sync with the "eb-n-flow" of the game---ALL YEAR LONG, IMO! Yeah, it pains me to have to say this but...that's just what I observed. Maryville was just the first team good enough to expose Melrose's weaknesses. That's why they're state champs....deservedly so, IMO.

Lastly, it's disappointing to lose the way Melrose has, these past 3 years (1pt losses, each). One just can't help but wonder... just how many Gold Balls Melrose would have--if they had a decent kicking game?

--TraderB

Edited by TraderB

TraderB,

Good post, but I take issue with questioning Coach Ingram. I have seen all of those 1-point losses you referred to...two against Hillsboro and the game against Maryville. Coach Ingram didn't lose those games.

Perhaps your other qb would have made a difference. Who knows? I respect Coach Ingram's judgment. He has proven what he can do the last three years.

What has been the Achilles’ heel for Melrose is the kicking game. If you had kicked an extra point against Hillsboro two years ago in Memphis, who knows who would have won that game. Last year in Nashville, if you could have kicked a short field goal, Melrose would have won the game. Yesterday, the extra point gave Maryville the advantage.

Someone has to find someone at Melrose that can kick a field goal. Help the team out and get this done. Coach Ingram must have his hands full doing everything else. Find a volunteer assistant to coach the kicking game.

Every team has a weakness. Maryville exposed two of Melrose's yesterday. Maryville will not beat themselves. It should be painfully clear to Coach Ingram that he needs a kicker. Again, help him find one.

Great game, and I hope to see Melrose play Hillsboro again in 2005.

Westtn,

I'm a Melrose fan.  I was at the game.  Maryville was the better team, yesterday, IMO.  They outplayed us.  The outcoached us.  They deserved to win.

As for the QB observation...I agree.  Madison couldn't see the field well enough to hit optional receivers.  In fact, midway thru the 3rd qtr, several fans and I were discussing this very thing!  We concluded that the coach should have inserted the TALLER, superior PASSING QB, Wilson, to replace Madison(nothing personal).

Maryville was stuffing our running game.  We needed to open things up more, with the pass.  We did not.  Madison was missing (not seeing) many open receivers.  Our coaching staff did not adjust to this development.  You see, this was the FIRST time all year long that ANY team had shut our running game down and consistently as Maryville.  This was obvious to all of us.  Thus, this was the first time Madison's inherent weakness was exposed:  he's too short (again, nothing personal) to be a QB.

I think the coaching staff held out hope that sooner or later Cooper or Madison would break one for a TB, as usual.  In fact, Madison was actually playing true to his season-long form (except, he didn't scramble as much).  All the  while, being mindful that QB Madison had led them successfully to an undefeated season and a berth in the state final.

Well, Maryville did not cooperate.

Sure, Maryville outplayed us yesterday.  They outcoached us.  Yet we STILL had a golden opportunity to win that game.  Our coaching staff just did not make enough adjustments on the offensive side of the ball, to take advantage of that opportunity (see my earlier post # 310, pg 20).

Am I surprised at this lack of offensive adjustment?  No!

You see, Melrose's play selection/decision-making has OFTEN been out of sync with the "eb-n-flow" of the game---ALL YEAR LONG!  Maryville was just the first team good enough to expose Melrose's weaknesses.  That's why they're state champs....deservedly so, IMO.

Lastly, it's disappointing to lose the way Melrose has, these past 3 years (1pt losses, each).  One just can't help but wonder... just how many Gold Balls Melrose would have--if they had a decent kicking game?

--TraderB

825468970[/snapback]