Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

I was rewatching the game last night and I was watching the 4th and 2 play in the 4th quarter and on the tape the ref spots the ball where Cooper's knee landed not where the ball was. I noticed this in the stands on Sat. cause I was right in front of it but just thought I was wrong. This changed the whole momentum of the game. Maryville still won the game and this is nothing against them, but I thought I would throw that out there for thought?

825470768[/snapback]

let the excuses begin. get over it gerry, they lost, move on, i know its rough but they did.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melrose (14-1) held Maryville 35 points below its average, but one touchdown was all that the Rebels needed. Maryville quarterback Cade Thompson was limited to 94 passing yards, 76 below his average. 

Yea, Yall smoked Melrose alright.

825468906[/snapback]

No one has mentioned "smoking" Melrose. All week before the game, Maryville fans said this one would be close. Melrose was definitely the best team we have seen all year. There defense was everything they said they were, but a little more offensive production might have won this one for the wildcats. Maryville defense played amazingly, as well as Melrose's, but the Maryville offensive passing game just wasnt clicking. Westtn2004state, I think its time you get a new member name change.

#7?

Well ... the pressure that the Maryville D was putting on him when he tried to throw ... every pass was an adventure!

Man ... coach Ingram must feel like he's snakebitten. He's been at Melrose three years and he only has 4 losses for a combined total of 5 points! A 2 point loss at the beginning of the 2002 season to CBHS in the Bridges Kickoff classic. Then in succession ... 1 point loss to Hillsboro in 2002 in the semi-finals, another 1 point loss to Hillsboro again in 2003 in the semi-finals. Now ... again ... another 1 point loss in 2004 in the championship game.

I don't know about you ... but that would drive me crazy. You could tell in the interview after the game ... he lost all compusure and broke down and cried sayin he lost the game for his team. I think he coached as well as he could have. Me myself ... well, I would absolutely go 'postal'! ... Well ... maybe not 'postal' ... but man! ... another 1 point loss! ... Those are the hardest kinds of losses to swallow.

This game will be burnig in the minds of those players and coaches all offseason. How many players do you think the coach will have to 'ROUND UP' for offseason weight training? Absolutely zero! I just hope they don't kill each other in the spring!

Is Kenyatta Fullilove, #8, a senior?

825470819[/snapback]

We get the entire secondary back We only lose 3 guys on defense and the JV went undefeated. A few of the guys that regularly play are Freshmen. This was the rebuilding year.

Man, this was one of our toughest losses ever and I have watched games since the sixties. However, next year's team is LOADED!!!!! The defense will be extra nasty,

Edited by orangemoundwest

As a football fan, I must comment on this exciting game. This one and the 2A final were by far the best.

1. The lb for Melrose, I think his name was Hardy. He has NFL written all over him and possibly some of their db's.

2. I was very impressed with Maryville's team and gameplan. The QB option worked well and Childs is a great player.

I think on grass, Maryville wins this one by 10. Melrose on turf is kind of like having 12 against 11. JMO

let the excuses begin.  get over it gerry, they lost, move on, i know its rough but they did.

825470863[/snapback]

I'm in agreement with raider on this Gerry. Maryville won, Melrose lost. I'm sure there were holds that didn't get called. Movements that didn't draw flags. Melrose DB's mugging Maryville WR's that could have been flagged. It's football governed by PEOPLE during the game. They aren't perfect. I, by and large, am tickled pink by the officiating in the game. They let the boys play ball. No unecessary penalties. Just hard hitting football. If it was blatent, they called it. Otherwise ... it was playball! Bad spot or no bad spot. Who cares! The Maryville guys were there to make the play. It could have been spotted either way. There were 8 minutes left in the game after that. Melrose had their chances. It was a good game. No excuses ... Maryville won, Melrose lost. Period.

I know one thing about the Melrose team I noticed Sat. night. They were knocking the crap out of our boys. I've never seen a high school team hit as hard as them. I was amazed at some of the hits they laid on Andrew Clement and Cade Thompson. I was just as amazed that these players got up and kept playing. Well, even though Melrose made the hits, Maryville made the plays.

I'm in agreement with raider on this Gerry. Maryville won, Melrose lost. I'm sure there were holds that didn't get called. Movements that didn't draw flags. Melrose DB's mugging Maryville WR's that could have been flagged. It's football governed by PEOPLE during the game. They aren't perfect. I, by and large, am tickled pink by the officiating in the game. They let the boys play ball. No unecessary penalties. Just hard hitting football. If it was blatent, they called it. Otherwise ... it was playball! Bad spot or no bad spot. Who cares! The Maryville guys were there to make the play. It could have been spotted either way. There were 8 minutes left in the game after that. Melrose had their chances. It was a good game. No excuses ... Maryville won, Melrose lost. Period.

825470900[/snapback]

excellent classy post kwc !! Melrose played like champions ! it's a shame some people resort to excuses . i noticed the person that made the post wasn't a Melrose fan . funny how the fans from the classy , winning programs don't resort to using excuses , but fans from teams who don't win a lot make excuses .

We get the entire secondary back  We  only lose 3 guys on defense and the JV went undefeated.  A few of the guys that regularly play are Freshmen. This was the rebuilding year.

Man, this was one of our toughest losses ever and I have watched games since the sixties.  However, next year's team is LOADED!!!!!  The defense will be extra nasty,

825470877[/snapback]

I read in the paper that they only lose 3 guys on D. #52, Baby Ray, #56, Larry Loveberry, and one other ... I think it's #55, Jonathan Ferguson.

I did not know that the JV team went undefeated. That's news. Isn't #33 a freshman? I was impressed with him in his play all year. He caught my attention when he held his own against Michael Oher when they played Briarcrest. (Who, by the way, is invited to play in the Army All-American game for high school players)

Next years team will be down right scary on defense.

Who are some of the other freshman getting playing time on the 'D' besides #33?

Edited by kwc

825470900[/snapback]

I am in agreement. Maryville won the game. No excuses. There is no bigger Melrose fan than me, but Maryviille made more plays when they had to. Bottom Line.

I read in the paper that they only lose 3 guys on D. #52, Baby Ray, #56, Larry Loveberry, and one other ... I think it's #55, Jonathan Ferguson.

I did not know that the JV team went undefeated. That's news. Isn't #33 a freshman? I was impressed with him in his play all year. He caught my attention when he held his own against Micheal Oher when they played Briarcrest. (Who, by the way, is invited to play in the Army All-American game for high school players)

Next years team will be down right scary on defense.

Who are some of the other freshman getting playing time on the 'D' besides #33?

825470915[/snapback]

17, the db that the TD was caught on and # 82 are also Freshmen

Edited by orangemoundwest

Maryville will lose most key players from the offence and some great secondary players. Hard to replace kids all. I do think Maryville's front seven will be a great deal stronger and more physical next year given they all stay healthey and come back next year. There will be compentition at many positions and all of the Maryville kids know that being the starter this year means very little during spring practice which starts Feb/Mar normally. All positions will be earned at Maryville.

Maybe we will see Melrose next year, but if that is to happen Maryville has allot of work to do.